College Football News Preview

As Billy Madison said when searching for a piece of dog doo to light on fire and throw on some old man's doorstep: "Here's a nice piece of sh**."

The guy lost all credibility with me when he called the new stadium "a ballpark". Ballparks are for baseball. He has Jimmy Gjere and Herschel Thorton listed as the 10 best players, but not Cooper? He has no idea that Triplett got drafted by the Vikings. He thinks it's "a nice break" to miss Indiana and Michigan. What?

Complete and utter garbage, I'm shocked this didn't come from Bleacher Report.

It was pretty bad. When the whole premise seems to be examining the talent that will be left for the next coach when he arrives in 2011 it's a pretty big bias to overcome for objectivity.

And yes, completely devoid of understanding this team. Intentionally or ignorantly. I like Royston, but come on, the most talented guy on defense?

I'm embarrassed for the writer.

First off, Kim Royston is our second best player? Um, no.

Second, I love Mike Rallis and I think he is going to be a breakthrough player, but he's our 7th best player going into the year? Ahead of Jewahn Edwards? Ahead of Stoudermire? Ahead of Cooper? Ahead of Wilhite? (These guys didn't make the writers top 10 players). Rallis will make the list AFTER the season, but what has he shown this writer from last year PLAYING SAFETY for 2 games that he's our 7th best player?

Marcus Krien? He mentions Marcus Krien?!? Says "he'll have to get a long look at time"?!?!? The true freshman walk-on is going to get a chance to start?!?!? No mention of Brent Singleton or Aaron Hill?

Mentions Thornton and Tillman? Even though the article was posted this morning?

Repeatedly calls him Jeff "Willis"?

Calls MarQuies "O.J."? WTF?

Among other ridiculousness I don't even care to mention...

Is he just throwing sh*t against the wall to see what sticks? Seeing if people are paying attention?

I'm not even exaggerating when I say that we could get a more insightful, analytic preview of the Gophers from Beckyville than from this journalistic abortion.

My memory isn't so sharp, but was last year's Iowa game a "laugher"?

Iowa fans would have you believe so.

They like to throw out "2 straight shutouts" like it's actually truthful and without context.

We were in the game the whole time. We could have very easily scored 2-3 different times, but turned the ball over on downs going for TDs (and, you know, trying to win the game) rather than kicking FGs and going for vanity by making the game appear close and not actually trying to come out with the W.

The Iowa fan's obvious counter is, "Well, we knew you guys couldn't score, so Ferentz ran a conservative offense so you guys couldn't get back in it." Yeah, right - that's why they "conservatively" hung 55 the previous year. Even if that were true (which it isn't), I'd be embarrassed that my coach wasn't doing everything he could to absolutely throat-stomp my biggest rival.

Saying that the last two games against Iowa weren't as close as the combined 67-0 score indicated is meaninless. Yes, the 2008 game was a blowout, but the 2009 score was close. We could have avoided the shutout in 2009, but we were trying to get a TD to have a chance to win the game.

Since when is it a bad thing that a former walk-on earns a starting spot? I remember the BTN gushing all over a MSU player who started out as a walk-on.

To say that the O-Line needs to make "night and day" improvements for the offense to be better is absurd. It wouldn't take massive improvements for the offense to be better, just improvements. Night and day improvements on the O-Line might turn a terrible offense into a very good offense, but improvements don't have to be quite so dramatic for the offense to improve to so-so. And so-so would be an improvement.

I think that would be a good mantra for Brewster that the Minnesotans could accept Rampage. Instead of "Pound the Rock". It would be, "We are Minnesota and we are So-So".

"Well it was really a So-so year, we worked really so-so to achieve so-so results, you know we really have. I couldn't be more more proud...in a so-so way."

I was a big fan of CFN, and posted there before Scout took them over. Once that happened I went looking for a new home and found this "hole". I still kind of miss the cross team football conversations, but I just can't support a site that tries to cater to the "helmet" schools.

Mediocre is better than awful, I think we can agree about that. I never said nor implied that a mediocre offense was the goal. Just that it wouldn't take enourmous changes for the offense to be better than last year's.

It wasn't well researched, written or proofed, but hey any publicity is good publicity,right? Our opponents know we exist.

Mediocre is better than awful, I think we can agree about that. I never said nor implied that a mediocre offense was the goal. Just that it wouldn't take enourmous changes for the offense to be better than last year's.

I wasn't taking a dig at you Rampage, sorry if that is how it came across. And i agree with you. Just that how much heat Brew takes for promoting lofty goals, and how rediculous stating things realistically would sound.

It should be noted that Pete Fiutak is graduate of the University of Wisconsin. He is, as you might expect, highly incompetent.

Also, look at this. Scroll down to "2008 Early Lookahead" and see who the biggest defensive loss is.

It should be noted that Pete Fiutak is graduate of the University of Wisconsin. He is, as you might expect, highly incompetent.

Also, look at this. Scroll down to "2008 Early Lookahead" and see who the biggest defensive loss is.
Not making light of what happened to Matt James, but that certainly explains why this dullard still thinks Thornton is on the team. What a lazy slob. I hope he's not earning a paycheck for this drivel.

Michigan´s main football blog had a funny column last year ripping on CFN called ´The Stupidity of Pete Fiutak´
http://mgoblog.com/diaries/stupidity-pete-fiutak

´There may be no greater hack in the world of sports writing than Pete Fiutak of College Football "News". Why they even call it news is beyond me, as the website never contains any scoops at all. It's simply written by a bunch of fanboys whose only "expertise" in analyzing football comes from warming the bench of their freshman teams in high school.´

In any case. A very poorly written article. I bet Brandon Kirksey will be happy to hear that he might be replaced by Harold Legania ´sooner rather than later´.

The ONLY good thing about the article is that it makes a point of highlighting the Gophers´improved athetlicism. Of course it does so mainly for the purpose of pointing out that Brew is already as good as gone (another ridiculous assertion, RichRod is on a far hotter seat than Brew).

As George Carlin once said, ´it´s all bull·!%$, and it´s bad for ya´

We stink on paper. There's no getting around that.

There is some good news though. We can't possibly play any worse on offense, and our quarterback play will be better. It's hard to get worse if your quarterback play improves appreciably.

it is the reality. and a head scratcher. this may be the most talented gopher squad in most peoples lifetimes, yet on paper I think we would be favored in only two games this year right now. And rightfully so given actual performance history. Hopefully there will be a few nice surprises for the hacks, and a bit of crow.

We stink on paper. There's no getting around that.

There is some good news though. We can't possibly play any worse on offense, and our quarterback play will be better. It's hard to get worse if your quarterback play improves appreciably.

It's not that we stink on paper, it's that no one has bothered actually puting anything down on paper. There are just assumptions that losing a lot of starters equals having a bad defense. Analysis doesn't seem to go beyond that. Most of the analysis goes to the top teams, the other teams get minimal analysis at best. There are a lot of pundits saying the same thing, but they are saying the exact same thing, which indicates that they are just repeating each other, instead of doing new research.

it is the reality. and a head scratcher. this may be the most talented gopher squad in most peoples lifetimes, yet on paper I think we would be favored in only two games this year right now. And rightfully so given actual performance history. Hopefully there will be a few nice surprises for the hacks, and a bit of crow.

Just hilarious......

At least he mentioned NIU was probably the best team in the MAC. That has to account for something... maybe

Top Bottom