Cold Spring MN tragedy

Reaction score
I was just reading the sad news about a police officer being ambushed and killed in the town of Cold Spring. The officers name was Tom Decker and he was 31 years old. The article stated Cold Spring was his home town.
Does anyone know if he was related to Eric?
This is a tragedy and I pray for his family.

I always hate it when people ask this type of stuff. Why is it important? Its apparently a bigger tragedy if he was somehow related to an NFL player?

Irrelevant.

I always hate it when people ask this type of stuff. Why is it important? Its apparently a bigger tragedy if he was somehow related to an NFL player?

Irrelevant.

Your kidding right? Guy has the same last name and is from the same home town as one of the best players ever to play at the U of M and you don't understand why people would want to know if they were related?

Of couse the story is still tragic whether there is a connection or not but I know the first thing I wondered when I heard the story was if he was related to Eric Decker in any way.

I previously taught in a High School with a Dale Decker who played BB in state tournatment, from Howard Lake High School, and I wonder the same thing there. That is not important, as the tragedy is what is important.

Decker is a very, very common name in that part of the state, just like Nelson is in Upsula, MN area.

I previously taught in a High School with a Dale Decker who played BB in state tournatment, from Howard Lake High School, and I wonder the same thing there. That is not important, as the tragedy is what is important.

Decker is a very, very common name in that part of the state, just like Nelson is in Upsula, MN area.

Oh yeah, Dale, he's the AD at HLWW, or was. I played against his sons in FB at Maple Lake. So not his kid, either. Believe they were Tyler and Cody.

Irrelevant.

I tried very hard to phrase the question in a way that would not offend. I was obviously not the only person with the question.
It is a tragedy either way.

I'm not offended, I just don't see why people need/want to know. Does that change anything? No.

First thing I wondered too after hearing the name. As others have said, no less tragic. I'm not sure why everything has to always be a fight on Gopherhole.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but my first thought was "more gun-related crap in Cold Spring."

I'm not offended, I just don't see why people need/want to know. Does that change anything? No.

This is going to come across as insensitive but it is the best explanation I can come up with for why people here care.

If he is not related to Eric Decker the story is still tragic and terrible for the family and community involved however it loses the personal connection to the people on this board. It just becomes a story of another ahole with a gun that shot somoene who did not deserve to die. If he had been related then suddenly the story takes on more meaning here because there is more of a direct connection to the people on this board since it involves the family of a player they have invested in.

This is going to come across as insensitive but it is the best explanation I can come up with for why people here care.

If he is not related to Eric Decker the story is still tragic and terrible for the family and community involved however it loses the personal connection to the people on this board. It just becomes a story of another ahole with a gun that shot somoene who did not deserve to die. If he had been related then suddenly the story takes on more meaning here because there is more of a direct connection to the people on this board since it involves the family of a player they have invested in.

You're absolutely right.

FireCosgroveGuy said:

It's a Gopher Football board. It was a resonable question. It doesn't change the degree of tragedy, but it is information. Maybe people want to know so they can be supportive to Eric in some way, who knows? You are a ridiculous person.

Unrelated, but Eric Decker was a student at ROCORI High School when they had that school shooting. Two tragic shootings in the same small town within a decade. Get it together, Cold Spring.

Top Bottom