Coaching candidates

So a few years ago when this desirable job was open the best we could get for candidates were Brewster, Lane Kiffin, Marc Trestman, and..... Please fill in any name that I am missing. There seems to be a disconnect between the desired candidates for a presumed opening this winter and the actual candidates from the previous opening.

You could say the same thing about Edsall and Schiano, but they can't all have the vaunted Penn State job. And when will it be open? Sure, it seems inevitable it will be soon, but we'd have thought the same thing 5 years ago. The reality is that if Joe Pa doesn't retire after this year and MN comes calling, I think any of the 3 would be crazy not to consider it. And if he does retire at least the two that don't get it may finally be receptive to what else is out there.

You could say that about all three but I think that the favorite will likely be Golden. In the case of Schiano, he is a New Jersey native and has free reign at Rutgers. He pulled his name out of contention for the Michigan job when Rich Rod got it and you think he will seriously consider this job at this time? It is possible but not likely imo.

So a few years ago when this desirable job was open the best we could get for candidates were Brewster, Lane Kiffin, Marc Trestman, and..... Please fill in any name that I am missing. There seems to be a disconnect between the desired candidates for a presumed opening this winter and the actual candidates from the previous opening.

Charlie Strong and Gary Patterson. Trestman's name never came up publicly in 2006 (if I recall correctly). He was in the running when Mason got hired though. There were others that I can't recall.

There were good names on the list back then. Keep in mind that Lane didn't have any of his current baggage attached to him then and was seen as a sharp young up and comer. Charlie Strong would still have been a good hire except for the fact that Louisville got there first. Patterson would still be a good get, but looking at the last hiring critically makes it seem likely he was playing the U off against TCU.

Thanks, I wouldn't count Patterson if he had no real interest in actually accepting the job at the U. If Charlie Strong were to have interest if the job were to come open, would he be considered as a acceptable candidate by the fans/readers of this site. I ask as I am not terribly familiar with him or his work at Louisville.

Waiting until January killed the chance of getting any current college coaches. If we wait until January again, we would have no shot at Shiano, Golden, Calhoun, etc. But offered properly in November, it's a different story. Coaches aren't going to bail on thier teams 3 weeks before signing day, especially not for MN.

Thanks, I wouldn't count Patterson if he had no real interest in actually accepting the job at the U. If Charlie Strong were to have interest if the job were to come open, would he be considered as a acceptable candidate by the fans/readers of this site. I ask as I am not terribly familiar with him or his work at Louisville.

This is his first season there so he's not going to be available.

Charlie Strong's in his first season at Lousville. You can't bail on a program after one season unless the cicumstances are extrodinary or you're Lane Kiffin. Therefore, he isn't a viable candidate for the MN job this time.

The last 2 weeks in his weekly Monday chat somebody has asked Tom Dienhart on Rivals who the Gophers could hire if they made a coaching change.

Last week he said:

Bowling Green's Dave Clawson
Nebraska OC Shawn Watson (was HC at Southern Illinois)
Illinois State's Brock Spack
Ex-BC coach Jeff Jagodzinski

I think Temple's Al Golden, Air Force's Troy Calhoun and Houston's Kevin Sumlin would politely decline.

More later.

Week before that he said this:

I think Minny has to hire a PROVEN head coach this time.

Here is who I would have on my list:

Al Golden
Dave Christensen
Todd Graham
Kevin Sumlin (he was an assistant there)
Troy Calhoun
Rick Stockstill
Larry Fedora

the names on this list are probably more realistic than anything else that is being floated around here.

Personally I hope a long look is given to Todd Graham. Defensive backgound which IMO is need more than anything in this job. Sumlin's defenses have been awful at Houston. Fedora also should be given a look.

You are misstating this. There was a top flight search last time around, and several top names were interviewed, including Bo Pelini. Brewster's name was never publicly announced as a candidate (or even mentioned) until he was hired. Kiffin was a relatively up and coming name back then; it was right before he took the Oakland Raiders job. Just like lasst time, we will be looking at all of the top people, I just hope Maturi doesn't bungle it this time.

ken niumatalolo

Why not look into him, he obviously doesn't get 4 star recruits at Navy and runs a scheme that can put the UofM in a recruiting advantage (ie smaller quick lineman) that no one else is going after or a running QB. Some of Navy's best years are with him at coach and he is a firey guy who can win 8 games with little talent.

Gruden will never ever happen, that is delusion.

I currently live in Tulsa and I pray that Todd Graham is not a candidate for the U of M job. His teams and especially his secondary are consistent one of the worst tackling teams I have ever seen.

I have also heard that he implements poor defensive gameplans and he has even changed the defensive gameplan on gameday. The latest rumor of this occurence is the 48-7 loss to Oklahoma State.

Finally, let's all remember that the successful Tulsa teams of the recent past have anchored by a high powered offense and not a stingy defense.

Rich Rod

What if Michigan fires him - would we want him? Three years ago I would have done cart wheels - now, not so sure but he did a great job at West Virginia. Does it matter he is coaching in the Big Ten now?

What if Michigan fires him - would we want him? Three years ago I would have done cart wheels - now, not so sure but he did a great job at West Virginia. Does it matter he is coaching in the Big Ten now?

They wouldn't fire him now that Robinson is saving the day.

Dan McCarney does nothing for me. His time at Iowa State was nothing special and it was in the weaker Big 12 North. He was also Florida's last minute hire due to their first choice pulling a mason after being hired.

Top Bottom