Coaches share ideas to fix Transfer Portal

But I wonder how many are leaving specifically to go to G5 programs where they can actually get to play.
I am sure that happens quite a bit. As others pointed out, the attrition rate at the D1 level has always been high.

Academic rule of having a 3.0 makes 0 sense IMO, if your elgible you should be able to transfer, if not transfer to a JUCO

I just have a feeling that things will naturaly quiet down for players as more and more either don't end up anywhere or end up at a much lower level.

Last edited:

Well .... one thing, sorry don't mean to muddy the waters here.

But technically, the one free transfer rule and the transfer portal itself, are two separate things. You could have the former without having ever implemented the latter.

I'm not sure things play out too differently, in such a case? Guys would be announcing on Twitter that they're leaving, thanking coaches/fans/etc., and then their re-recruitment process would begin.
Isn't the "transfer portal" just a name change? Other than having the option for their school to still take them back (which maybe always existed?), what exactly is the portal vs the nameless pool of players that left their program? The free transfer rule is the big change. Just spit balling another option to limit transfers, what if you said no NIL money for transfers? Not saying that is possible or advisable though.

It's also a matter of those athletes being "counted" now. There were always players who fizzled out their freshman/sophomore seasons. Some of them dropped down to lower levels of football, some of them quit football but stayed in school and some of them quit school. It was an incredibly common occurrence in college football. Those players are now just being "counted" as portal players. I have feeling they are being "counted" as a reason to rationalize more restrictions on the better players.

Ky Thomas shouldn't be allowed to go into the portal because Saia Mapakaitolo and Michael Lantz can't find a scholarship.

If you picked a random recruiting class prior to the portal and looked at the number of guys who left from attrition, the numbers would be pretty close. I randomly picked 2010. If you look at the number of players who left the U for natural attrition (buried in depth chart), some found homes and some did not. These guys who quietly left the U because they were buried in the depth chart are the same kind of players/situations as the folks who are now in the portal without a home. It's too bad but it's nothing new at all.

2010 class:
Jimmy Gjere - injuring ending career early
Lamonte Edwards - got into trouble, left the U (would have been a portal player)
James Manuel - finished career a Gopher
Donnell Kirkwood - finished career a Gopher
Tom Parish - left program and didn't find another program (would have been a portal player)
Brock Vereen - finished career a Gopher
Devon Wright - finished career a Gopher
Johnathon Ragoo - transferred out (would have been a portal player)
Tyrone Bouie - transferred out (would have been a portal player)
Marek Lenkiewicz - finished career a Gopher
Matt Eggen - left program (would have been a portal player)
Willie Tatum - left program (would have been a portal player)
Josh Tauaefa - left program (would have been a portal player)
Harold Legania - finished career a gopher
Dwayne Mitchell left program (would have been a portal player)
Tiree Eure - finished career a Gopher
Christyn Lewis - finished career a Gopher
Hershecl Thornton - left program (would have been a portal player)
Sean Ferguson - finished career a Gopher (quit football at then end I believe)
JD Pride - left program (would have been a portal player)
Logan Hutton - finished career a Gopher
Dexter Foreman - left program (would have been a portal player)
Dwight Tillman - left program (would have been a portal player)
James Gillum - finished career a Gopher
Exactly, isn't the "transfer portal" just a name change for recruiting websites basically?

Isn't the "transfer portal" just a name change? Other than having the option for their school to still take them back (which maybe always existed?), what exactly is the portal vs the nameless pool of players that left their program? The free transfer rule is the big change. Just spit balling another option to limit transfers, what if you said no NIL money for transfers? Not saying that is possible or advisable though.
This is exactly what I've been thinking. The portal itself is just a place where players and coaches can all see what's going on. To me, that's beneficial for all. The problem (in my view, if we believe there's a problem) is the free transfer rule (along with tampering).

So if the portal is a list of names, what does a window accomplish? Regardless of a window, Curtis Dunlop can still quit before the end of the season. The difference is he can't add his name to the portal until a certain date. Big deal -- everyone still knows he's transferring. What if Dunlop didn't have a landing place before the portal "closed" -- does that mean he's unable to transfer to another school and go out for the football team? I can't see that happening. We currently have a signing date for high school recruits, but if they don't sign on that date, they can still sign later. So I'm missing something on the value of a "window."

I think it could be as simple as some sanity for the coaches, not having to be in recruiting mode 52 weeks a year. IE they can pencil in some down time when the windows are closed. Something like that?

This is exactly what I've been thinking. The portal itself is just a place where players and coaches can all see what's going on. To me, that's beneficial for all. The problem (in my view, if we believe there's a problem) is the free transfer rule (along with tampering).

So if the portal is a list of names, what does a window accomplish? Regardless of a window, Curtis Dunlop can still quit before the end of the season. The difference is he can't add his name to the portal until a certain date. Big deal -- everyone still knows he's transferring. What if Dunlop didn't have a landing place before the portal "closed" -- does that mean he's unable to transfer to another school and go out for the football team? I can't see that happening. We currently have a signing date for high school recruits, but if they don't sign on that date, they can still sign later. So I'm missing something on the value of a "window."
The value of a window would be the ncaa could punish people for talking to opposing players when it isn’t in a window. Would make it easier to enforce tampering claims and recruiting violations outside the window.

HOWEVER

when had the ncaa ever enforced anything well

Not sure schools or NCAA can put rules in place about limiting who can try for NIL $$...

Nothing needs to change.

Coaches, under contract, can leave at will. Let the players do the same.

Not sure schools or NCAA can put rules in place about limiting who can try for NIL $$...
Literally can’t. Which is why they’ve stated they aren’t going to try to regulate it.
The ncaa has said they aren’t going to try to regulate NIL at all because in absence of Federal legislation they don’t believe their enforcement would hold up in court.

Nothing needs to change.

Coaches, under contract, can leave at will. Let the players do the same.
Agree with this although I would prefer a one year wait period on transfers (even if it doesn’t cost them a year of eligibility)

Literally can’t. Which is why they’ve stated they aren’t going to try to regulate it.
The ncaa has said they aren’t going to try to regulate NIL at all because in absence of Federal legislation they don’t believe their enforcement would hold up in court.
Correct.

I think it could be as simple as some sanity for the coaches, not having to be in recruiting mode 52 weeks a year. IE they can pencil in some down time when the windows are closed. Something like that?

Just opens a window for cheaters to cheat. You really think the NCAA would police this seriously. Nope.

Top Bottom