Coaches Preseason Poll

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Coaches Preseason Poll has Michigan at 2, Ohio State at 4, North Carolina at 20, Wisconsin at 21, Iowa at 26, Gophers at 40 and Illinois at 48. Much will change as the season plays out, of course, but this preseason guesstimate assigns the Gophers a “likely” 7-5 regular season record (win the games we should) with 6-6 a distinct possibility since the Illinois game is viewed essentially as a toss-up … and Bielema is 8-0 against the Gophers in his coaching career.

If Nebraska, running a newfangled 3-3-5 “confusion/disruption” defense, pulls off an upset in game 1, the Gophers’ season scenario worsens. If we beat Nebraska and manage to pull off our own upset at North Carolina in game 3, the scenario brightens considerably. It is really interesting having such meaningful games so early in the season. It is a test. Go Gophers!

I would argue beilema WI beating Brewster has very little to do with the 2024 game between IL and MN

If Illinois wins it isn’t because MN can’t beat Beilema

In the well respected #2Gopher poll, he has the Gophers #9. There are a number of polls out there and I'm sure you'll find one to your liking.

Coaches Preseason Poll has Michigan at 2, Ohio State at 4, North Carolina at 20, Wisconsin at 21, Iowa at 26, Gophers at 40 and Illinois at 48. Much will change as the season plays out, of course, but this preseason guesstimate assigns the Gophers a “likely” 7-5 regular season record (win the games we should) with 6-6 a distinct possibility since the Illinois game is viewed essentially as a toss-up … and Bielema is 8-0 against the Gophers in his coaching career.

If Nebraska, running a newfangled 3-3-5 “confusion/disruption” defense, pulls off an upset in game 1, the Gophers’ season scenario worsens. If we beat Nebraska and manage to pull off our own upset at North Carolina in game 3, the scenario brightens considerably. It is really interesting having such meaningful games so early in the season. It is a test. Go Gophers!
That Nebby defense is ripe to be exploited. New coaches trying a new defensive scheme with new players. Gophs practiced swing passes to the edges to the RBs which is a weakness of that defense. My guess is the Gophs pound the rock with the RBs to force them to bring more up to the line.

That Nebby defense is ripe to be exploited. New coaches trying a new defensive scheme with new players. Gophs practiced swing passes to the edges to the RBs which is a weakness of that defense. My guess is the Gophs pound the rock with the RBs to force them to bring more up to the line.
I don't see nerdbraska getting a 1st down. Plus, I don't see them stopping a Minnesota 1st down......

I just looked at a few box scores from last season.

I had forgotten how much the Gophers dominated Iowa and deserved to win, and also how thoroughly they were beaten by Illinois.

Until we see something different from the last couple years Illinois will be a hard game and Gophers are the underdog.

I had forgotten how much the Gophers dominated Iowa and deserved to win, and also how thoroughly they were beaten by Illinois.

Until we see something different from the last couple years Illinois will be a hard game and Gophers are the underdog.
We play Illinois later in the year, I’m guessing we’ll be favored by then. I think Illinois will be lucky to make a bowl game. Toledo and Kansas are tough non conference games.

We play Illinois later in the year, I’m guessing we’ll be favored by then. I think Illinois will be lucky to make a bowl game. Toledo and Kansas are tough non conference games.
Agreed. I think there is a real possibility Illinois starts 3-5 or 4-4

Getting outside quickly is one of the keys to beating the 3-3-5, because the edge can be sealed. Swing pass to RB. Quick outside pitch to RB. QB rollout with quick pass to TE while WRs clear under zone running deep patterns. The 3-3-5, which relies on quick, often somewhat smaller players, can get worn down by a big, powerful opponent. If we take a lead into the 4th Q, watch for PJ’s ground and pound, T/O/P scheme to grind down a gassed Nebraska defense. Glad we have a few weeks to game plan. We might see some things on offense in Nebby game that get mothballed for the rest of the year. Go Gophers.

Last edited:

Getting outside quickly is one of the keys to beating the 3-3-5, because the edge can be sealed. Swing pass to RB. Quick outside pitch to RB. QB rollout with quick pass to TE while WRs clear under zone running deep patterns. The 3-3-5, which relies on quick, often somewhat smaller players, can get worn down by a big, powerful opponent. If we take a lead into the 4th Q, watch for PJ’s ground and pound, T/O/P scheme to grind down a gassed Nebraska defense. Glad we have a few weeks to game plan. We might see some things on offense in Nebby game that get mothballed for the rest of the year. Go Gophers.
Same defense the gophers played in the bowl game

Same defense the gophers played in the bowl game
I hope we learned a lot from Pinstripe bowl game, which we managed to “Iowa-style” with a pick 6 and some great special teams play. Syracuse piled up 477 yards of offense against our vaunted defense. The Gophers, on the other hand, facing a 3-3-5 defense which had several of starters out (and its DC off to Nebraska), were essentially stymied, managing a paltry total offense of just 215 yards. It was a great win for the Gophers, but the offense clearly had a lot of trouble with the 3-3-5 defense.

Maybe we also win the Nebraska game with defensive scoring and lots of special teams yardage, excusing our offense from performing at a reasonable level. But I personally believe that to beat Nebraska we need to have an offensive game plan much more suited to exploit the weaknesses of the 3-3-5 defense, and which simplifies assignments for the OL as it faces non-traditional DL/LB sets and blitzes coming from all over the field.

The 3-3-5 defense is high-risk/high-reward. It depends on very fast, mobile, athletic players jumping around and lining up in unpredictable spots. It shows you a set and then, before the snap, often transforms to a very different set. Brittle, predictable, uncreative offenses can struggle against the 3-3-5. But the 3-3-5 has great vulnerabilities, too, that creative, unpredictable offenses can exploit.

If a creative Gopher offense can win the strategic chess match it lost against Syracuse, the Nebraska game should be a satisfying W.

Go Gophers.

Last edited:

I'm not worried about Gophs facing that defense. Gophs would have put up 7-10 more points had AK not gotten hurt in the bowl game IMHO.

I don't see nerdbraska getting a 1st down. Plus, I don't see them stopping a Minnesota 1st down......
You’re drinking to much kool-aid. Plus swing passes only work if your running back is a better athlete than the lb/ safety covering you.

You’re drinking to much kool-aid. Plus swing passes only work if your running back is a better athlete than the lb/ safety covering you.
My kool-aid is usually alcohol flavored.................

Also if my running back is a better athlete than the lb/ safety covering me, I think we're pretty safe. I'm not very athletic anymore. Just joking.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Sean Tyler, baby! I expect he'll have a monster game with his speed and elusiveness.

Unless they get swept out with a block. If it's a LB, I'll take that matchup. Jackson's TD at the end of the third quarter of the bowl game is another pass play that exploits that defense.

I'm never a fan of the "deserved to win" narrative. Avoiding costly mistakes and capitalizing on the other teams costly mistakes are just as much a part of the game as gaining more yards than your opponent.

I'm never a fan of the "deserved to win" narrative. Avoiding costly mistakes and capitalizing on the other teams costly mistakes are just as much a part of the game as gaining more yards than your opponent.
Special teams, where Iowa has dominated Minnesota in recent years, are also just as much part of the game and overall picture.

If Minnesota beats this Nebraska team that is likely getting way too much credit because of Matt Rhule and beats 20th ranked UNC, are we top 25 after the UNC game? Michigan could come here in October with a top 25 match up! If we hang close like we did with Ohio State a couple years ago, maybe we stay ranked for a while. Bye week and then beat Iowa!!! 6-1 going into the last few games of the year:)

If Minnesota beats this Nebraska team that is likely getting way too much credit because of Matt Rhule and beats 20th ranked UNC, are we top 25 after the UNC game?
“IF” that were to happen, yes, they would be ranked. But the Nebraska game is the most important game of the year. It is impossible to overstate how important that game is. If the Gophers are able to win game 1, they better not look past Eastern Michigan in game two, a 9 win team last year. Perhaps no other team in the nation drops more games to “inferior” opponents than Minnesota, and Fleck’s teams haven’t been immune to those shenanigans.

Top Bottom