Coach Jerry Kill On the State of the Program

Glad you posted this. Now maybe some of these people that expected to have a winning season and damn near be in the Rose Bowl or else fire Kill and his staff will shut the hell up.

Glad you posted this. Now maybe some of these people that expected to have a winning season and damn near be in the Rose Bowl or else fire Kill and his staff will shut the hell up.

Get off my side.

I love coach Kill and really hope he succeeds.

Just curious though, what are peoples exceptions as to when we should start to see major improvements in our program? By Kill's 3rd year?

Just curious though, what are peoples exceptions as to when we should start to see major improvements in our program? By Kill's 3rd year?

I would expect to see some small improvements next year and see them get bigger in year 3. Year 4 is where I would expect to at least be in a bowl game every year

In terms of winning, the benchmark was set by Lou Holtz, IMO. He inherited a team that went 3-8 (1-8 BT) and 1-10 (0-9 BT) the two years prior to his hiring. In his two years he went 4-7 (3-6 BT) and 6-5 (4-4 BT). The non-conference schedule was pretty tough then (for example, we played eventual national champion Oklahoma in his second year, Nebraska in year one).

Kill has spent his entire time in Minnesota lowering expectations for the fans and media in order to take the pressure off him and his staff. He is making excuses even before he plays the games. This is BS and I am not buying it. The talent on this team is significantly better than in Brewster's first year. This year Kill needs to show improvement over last year (3 wins) or he will have failed.

No, he's not making excuses. This is Football 101. He's taking over a team that only won three games last year. With the transition to a new coaching staff and a new system, teams often take a step back in year one. It's uncommon for a team to turn things around the first year. A coach is not a failure for not turning teams around the first year.

It doesn't matter if the team has more talent if 1) the talent doesn't fit the system and 2) if the talent doesn't have any fundamentals.

In terms of winning the benchmark was set by Lou Holtz, IMO. He inherited a team that went 3-8 (1-8 BT) and 1-10 (0-9 BT) the two years prior to his hiring. In his two years he went 4-7 (3-6 BT) and 6-5 (4-4 BT). The non-conference schedule was pretty tough then (for example, we played eventual national champion Oklahoma in his second year, Nebraska in year one).

They almost beat Oklahoma in the second year, I think they were leading late in the third quarter.

Refresh my memory; who are all these people who said we would be damn near the Rose Bowl this year?

instant gratification

For those of you that want it NOW, you're likely going to be disappointed. History lesson: Jerry took over a Southern Illinois program that hadn't won at all for decades, located in an isolated area no recruit would be inspired to come to play. They went 1-11 his first year, 4-10 the next, then went 50-14 the next five years and went to the I-AA playoffs those 5 years. He has other similar turnarounds.

I wondered if he'd change and cut corners, feeling the pressure of this new level. I'm so pleased from all I see, hear and read, that he's doing it the right way. I suggest you start saving your money for 2013. Gopher fans are going to be lining up to say "I knew he was the right guy!" lol

I have to say that I'm only a Gopher fan because of Kill. He's a very special man and the community and university are really lucky to have him. I'm very pleased that it seems a large percentage of Gopher fans have already figured this out. You're going to be so proud of the young men he influences, and you're going to be so proud of your winning program that does it the right way.

Kill has spent his entire time in Minnesota lowering expectations for the fans and media in order to take the pressure off him and his staff. He is making excuses even before he plays the games. This is BS and I am not buying it. The talent on this team is significantly better than in Brewster's first year. This year Kill needs to show improvement over last year (3 wins) or he will have failed.

Wow...you must be the most negative Gopher fan around. Everyone loves Jerry Kill....give the guy a chance.

That just seemed like a bold statement to me.

Top Bottom