Clear as day video

This actually removes context, because he was trying to signal to his teammates to get away from the ball. That's what his left-arm motion was doing.

I just can't stop staring at us having 7 guys right there. How is it even possible? The first guy misses but makes him turn around completely and we still don't cover it up right there. It's just surreal.

@MaxyJR1 don't get me wrong. I wasn't saying that.

What I was saying explains why he did what he did. In other words, he did something. He (DeJean) was trying to lie to the media that he literally didn't do anything (other than trying to keep his balance). That's gross. Be a man, not a little boy.
Our HS player actually did this on a KO this year. He was running to the ball and waved his arm to keep his balance. The official stopped it and awarded a fair catch. It doesn’t matter the reason, you can’t wave your arms.

I just can't stop staring at us having 7 guys right there. How is it even possible? The first guy misses but makes him turn around completely and we still don't cover it up right there. It's just surreal.
Because they saw him wave for a fair catch and they were confused that it wasn’t whistled dead.

Because he signaled fair catch.

Ferret is mad because he says it looks like he's waving when he runs, and most people wave their hands when the are running.

He's clearly pointing with his left hand, like he's Walt Kowalski. Good try, Captain Nepotism.

Not sure what a correct call would have been, but the spacing of the coverage team was atrocious. The returner is pinned against the sideline, makes a little spin and runs right past 7 guys who are in tight circle, with no one covering the sideline. It reminded me of my daughter's team when she played soccer as a 5-year old. We were lucky, damn lucky.

It’s one of two things:

1. He runs that way, flailing his left arm to keep his balance, like he has all game.
2. He’s having a stroke and should be transported to ER for further evaluation.

Option 3 has entered the game

3. He’s a lying POS.

I’ll select option 3.

lol....that is not how he runs.....what a crock.
Agree, just like the weenie Iowa lineman who punched the ball before it was snapped on the final play. Thought he could get away with it. It’s Iowa.

If Cooper DeJean runs while waving his arm I expect him to do it running the 40 at the NFL Combine this winter, where he projects as a first round pick.

He's also their punt gunner, rare for a starter and prospect of his stature. Which means he clearly should know the rules for signaling fair catch.

Not exactly the way I would have scripted beating the Hawkeyes in Iowa City but the reaction of the team and fans has me second guessing this notion.

Last edited:

That’s illegal and deemed an invalid fair catch signal.
And while the handful of Gophers converging on DeJean might have hesitated thinking he was going to fair catch the punt, they were all poorly positioned to defend against it not being one -- except for the one Gopher who whiffed on the tackle. Gophers were supremely lucky on this one. Sometimes you are -- and sometimes you're not. That's sports and that's life.

Top Bottom