Classic video: Watch Minnesota Gophers win 1962 Rose Bowl

Wow, our current linebackers are bigger than some of the starting o-lineman in that game

They refer to "that giant of a defensive end, standing 6 foot, 5 inches tall"

I also found it frustrating that the rouser could be heard more plainly on that broadcast than during most home games today, presented in HD.

Dr. Don, didn't you celebrate your 50th birthday at the '62 Rose Bowl? :p

Great to see a lot of these players who were on my favorite Gopher teams (Eller, Bell, Stephens, Cairns, , etc.) But notice the grind-it-out offenses, very few passes, and the hard, pretentious announcer voices - nothing conversational and very humorless. Interesting to see Bierman's single wing still being run by UCLA in '61 season.

Brought back some great memories watching Gopher football. Two of my high school team mates played for the Gophers in that game. Also one of my favorite all-time Gopher names, Julian Hook. Thanks for posting the link.

How about it being a color-on-color game? You don't see that very often anymore due to NCAA rules.

e: Not to mention the number of players playing both ways

How about it being a color-on-color game? You don't see that very often anymore due to NCAA rules.

e: Not to mention the number of players playing both ways

For those of you that don't realize, this was not because of choice - but because of the rules at the time.

"In 1954, the NCAA emplaced a set of new rules requiring the use of the one-platoon system, primarily due to financial reasons.[1][2] The system allowed only one player to be substituted between plays, which effectively put an end to the use of separate specialized units.[3] Tennessee head coach "General" Robert Neyland praised the change as the end of "chicken*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# football".[1]

After the 1964 season, twelve years since the mandate requiring one-platoon, the NCAA repealed the rules enforcing its use and allowed an unlimited amount of player substitutions.[3][4] This allowed, starting with the 1965 season,[5] teams to form separate offensive and defensive units as well as "special teams" which would be employed in kicking situations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-platoon_system

Brought back some great memories watching Gopher football. Two of my high school team mates played for the Gophers in that game. Also one of my favorite all-time Gopher names, Julian Hook. Thanks for posting the link.

Same here.

I think he was also a captain, right?

For those of you that don't realize, this was not because of choice - but because of the rules at the time.

"In 1954, the NCAA emplaced a set of new rules requiring the use of the one-platoon system, primarily due to financial reasons.[1][2] The system allowed only one player to be substituted between plays, which effectively put an end to the use of separate specialized units.[3] Tennessee head coach "General" Robert Neyland praised the change as the end of "chicken*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# football".[1]

After the 1964 season, twelve years since the mandate requiring one-platoon, the NCAA repealed the rules enforcing its use and allowed an unlimited amount of player substitutions.[3][4] This allowed, starting with the 1965 season,[5] teams to form separate offensive and defensive units as well as "special teams" which would be employed in kicking situations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-platoon_system

I didn't know it was in the rule books for those 10 years. I just figured it took a while to catch on. Wasn't Warmath behind the times after the rule change? Kinda like Bierman stuck with the Wing-T a little too long.

Top Bottom