Claeys resigns from WSU

I was told that Claeys was fired here because of the scandal, and because he made the administration look bad when he backed the player revolt against the EOAA.

Now it sounds like some people are saying Claeys is actually a terrible coach.

Hmmmm... which is it? And how the heck did such a poor coach win 9 games in a season at Minnesota, where 9-win seasons are pretty rare?

Last edited:

The greatest DC ever and head coach extraordinaire? Impossible.

You take a lot of shots at his head coaching ability. If he was so bad, how many years do you think PJ should have before he tops Claeys' 9 win season. Claeys was awful, so that should be pretty easy, right?

I don't understand why anyone knocks this guy. He can run a defense.

The Utah loss should be hung on Leach's offense, which was on and off the field in seconds after almost every brief 3 and out series, leaving Claeys defense exhausted.

I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

I was told that Claeys was fired here because of the scandal, and because he made the administration look bad when he backed the player revolt against the EOAA.

Now it sounds like some people are saying Claeys is actually a terrible coach.

Hmmmm... which is it? And how the heck did such a poor coach win 9 games in a season at Minnesota, where 9-win seasons are pretty rare?

Pretty sure it came out that Coyle was planning on firing Claeys all along since day 1 but when they beat Northwestern for their 8th win, they decided they couldn't fire him. But then the whole scandal gave them an excuse.

Too bad. I like Clayes and think he is a good DC. I hope he gets another shot. Wish him nothing but the best.

Huh?

Tweets

<twitter-widget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1180324935668883457"></twitter-widget> <script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Responsibility? Quitting is responsible? <iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.e3a0e1b01ae601b6c9cf798a93ab7e69.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forums.gopherhole.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Too bad. I like Clayes and think he is a good DC. I hope he gets another shot. Wish him nothing but the best.

Yeah...I’m basically over rooting against former coaches (besides Brewster) and don’t get why people dislike Claeys.

I hope he takes the remainder of the year off, gets healthy (his weight is concerning) and finds a great spot.

Very strange story indeed..... one big meltdown vs. UCLA does not fit, something else is going on

Anything is very hard when you are over 50 years old and 150- 200 plus pounds overweight. I was hoping TC would have bypass surgery when he was on the coaching shelf and come back might smaller like Limegrover did.

Who knows what actually happened, but it is all sad. TC did not know how to handle the mess back in 2016, and it was all PR, and naive thinking, but he was not ready for that. None of that made him a bad guy and he took the fall.

Last edited:

I think the "we couldn't agree on solutions" part isn't getting enough attention. Maybe he wasn't given enough control of the defense and Leach was inserting himself and doing things contrary to what Claeys thought was best. That is a very weird line that you would not expect to see in a resignation tweet. The rest of the tweet is par for the course.

I know nothing about WSU football this year. Haven't watch one second. That said, it could be really tough to be the D Coordinator for a team that runs the Air Raid offense and doesn't control the clock. Especially against tough defenses that force incomplete passes.

They gave up 67 points to UCLA.

I think the "we couldn't agree on solutions" part isn't getting enough attention. Maybe he wasn't given enough control of the defense and Leach was inserting himself and doing things contrary to what Claeys thought was best. That is a very weird line that you would not expect to see in a resignation tweet. The rest of the tweet is par for the course.

You hit the nail on the head. Sounds like "philosophical differences" was the reason for him quitting. I know lots of people that have quit their jobs because they can't get along with their boss. It doesn't mean they were bad at their job.

You hit the nail on the head. Sounds like "philosophical differences" was the reason for him quitting. I know lots of people that have quit their jobs because they can't get along with their boss. It doesn't mean they were bad at their job.

Maybe Mike Leach relates to defensive coordinators the way Mike Zimmer relates to offensive coordinators.

You take a lot of shots at his head coaching ability. If he was so bad, how many years do you think PJ should have before he tops Claeys' 9 win season. Claeys was awful, so that should be pretty easy, right?

Ah, good old JG. He once posted about recruiting and football things. Now, 90% are shots at TC. Really sad. The latest round is basically trying to imply TC has been a bad HC and DC. Stats and records be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ah, good old JG. He once posted about recruiting and football things. Now, 90% are shots and fat jokes about TC. Really sad. The latest round is basically trying to imply TC has been a bad HC and DC. Stats and records be damned.

I’ll leave GH for a year if you find one post of me making fun of TC’s weight if you agree to leave if you can’t. Deal?

Or were you making sh&t up again?

I wish good things for former coaches, at least until they start ripping the U.

Maybe Mike Leach relates to defensive coordinators the way Mike Zimmer relates to offensive coordinators.
You're probably not too far off in that analogy.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I think it will happen soon with PJ. Definitely before year 6.

If Claeys is the mastermind you think, why hasn’t he gotten any other HC jobs? Why was he fired mid-season as a DC?

I’ll leave GH for a year if you find one post of me making fun of TC’s weight if you agree to leave if you can’t. Deal?

Or were you making sh&t up again?

Nah, I might have got that part wrong. You spend all your time doing non-fat related shots. I edited my original post - don’t want to mislead.

Tracy is a good defensive coordinator who will land at another school. Kill's staff was together for so long, they were a good cohesive unit. But now that they have separated out, they have struggled working for other head coaches. Maybe Kill will get the band back together somewhere else.

Nah, I might have got that part wrong. You spend all your time doing non-fat related shots. I edited my original post - don’t want to mislead.

You also have that part wrong. I’ve been on record saying I like TC and thought he was a good DC. Maybe the best DC we’ve had in 40 years. My issue is with those who think it was a mistake to fire him as HC and selectively remember every defensive performance like it was the Wazzu bowl game.

<b>You also have that part wrong. </b>I’ve been on record saying I like TC and thought he was a good DC. Maybe the best DC we’ve had in 40 years. My issue is with those who think it was a mistake to fire him as HC and selectively remember every defensive performance like it was the Wazzu bowl game.

I did? Wanna make the same bet about me finding a post with you taking a shot at TC?

I did? Wanna make the same bet about me finding a post with you taking a shot at TC?

Yes - post #51

Enjoy your sabbatical and see you next year.

I wish Claeys the best.
Don't know where he'll end up. Imagine he still wants to coach.

Coaching defense for a Mike Leach team is probably tough.

I think it will happen soon with PJ. Definitely before year 6.

If Claeys is the mastermind you think, why hasn’t he gotten any other HC jobs? Why was he fired mid-season as a DC?

1) Nobody said he was a 'mastermind'.
2) I have no idea why he hasn't been hired as a HC.
3) Was he actually 'fired mid-season as a DC'? Has that actually been established as a fact?

My only points regarding Claeys as Gopher coach: He won 9 games in a single season here, and that's a rare accomplishment at Minnesota.

The greatest DC ever and head coach extraordinaire? Impossible.

I always throught Jay Sawvel was the "mastermind" behind what success we had with our D back in the Kill/Claeys days. Now they're both out of coaching.

I always throught Jay Sawvel was the "mastermind" behind what success we had with our D back in the Kill/Claeys days. Now they're both out of coaching.

I know a former player that played under Kill with Claeys as DC. He was a defensive starter. He's always said Sawvel was a good coach, but Claeys was a defensive genius.

Other than a couple of slightly above average seasons, there’s been a lot of mediocre to bad defense played here. Kill/Claeys were a big improvement over Brewster and Mason, but I wouldn’t necessarily say we’ve seen a huge drop off under the current regime. We’ve seen good, bad and ugly, depending on the week, but the current situation isn’t as bad as some are making it out to be. It obviously needs to get better to get where they want to be, but I don’t see any reason why it can’t. It’s not as though they need a major overhaul.

Defensive ranking (FBS) by total yards per game:

Fleck

2019: 40
2018: 54
2017: 32

Kill/Claeys

2016: 21
2015: 24
2014: 40
2013: 42
2012: 33
2011: 77