Claeys explains why he resigned

It's Leach's program. Claeys took his ball and went home. Admirable?

I would not call it admirable.

It should be called quitting.

Yep, unless he was forced out, he quit on his team midway through the season. I don’t find that admirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very admirable. Always been a class act.

Very admirable. Always been a class act.

Agree 100% He held strong in his convictions! He also was the D coordinator that helped lead WSU to their best record ever last year.

I mean, you guys clicked on a thread labeled Claeys explains why he resigned.

Claeys didn’t want to work with Leach which is understandable. Many of us have been in past situations and can relate. I think the team will be ok.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/...aeys-resigns-as-washington-state-coordinator/

Gotta admire Claeys for this. He said they couldn’t agree on how to run/fix the defense so he turned in his resignation.

Shocker, Leach probably stuck his nose in Claeys’ business. Leach will never be more than a 2nd or 3rd tier coach.

How many coaches are in your first tier? Leach has been a great coach considering the programs he has taken over.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/...aeys-resigns-as-washington-state-coordinator/

Gotta admire Claeys for this. He said they couldn’t agree on how to run/fix the defense so he turned in his resignation.

Shocker, Leach probably stuck his nose in Claeys’ business. Leach will never be more than a 2nd or 3rd tier coach.

I agree. If philosophically you can't agree how to complete a job with your boss, then it is better to step away and let someone who is committed to the bosses plan give it their best.

Claeys took a risk going with WSU. His success has always been with ball control teams on offense. WSU runs a circus on offense and the defense has always been suspect. Working with Leach has got to be miserable for a defensive coach.

Claeys took a risk going with WSU. His success has always been with ball control teams on offense. WSU runs a circus on offense and the defense has always been suspect. Working with Leach has got to be miserable for a defensive coach.
Took a risk? Leach gave Clayes a job after Clayes was fired from here....and that was right after Clayes beat Leach in the Holiday Bowl as a two touchdown dog.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Agree 100% He held strong in his convictions! He also was the D coordinator that helped lead WSU to their best record ever last year.

Win-Loss record doesn’t matter on here when it comes to TC. You’ve been around long enough to know that.

You could just tell he had hit his ceiling at WSU.

It was obvious that was the best he would ever do at WSU.

Did I do that right?

If the defensive coach can't do what he wants, why do you need a defensive coordinator? I'd walk off too. Who cares if its during the season if you can't do what you believe is right..

If the defense can't do what he wants, why do you need a defensive coordinator? I'd walk off too. Who cares if its during the season.

I didn't read the article, I hit my max articles for the month, but if him and Leach agreed that he should resign, that's one thing. If not, I think he should have stuck it out until the end of the year.

I like Mike Leach as a coach, and I like Tracy Claeys as a coach.

It's too bad it didn't work out.

Both Leach and Claeys will be just fine. They are both very good at what they do.

If the defensive coach can't do what he wants, why do you need a defensive coordinator? I'd walk off too. Who cares if its during the season if you can't do what you believe is right..

I have a feeling it's not that Claeys was hamstrung specifically in defensive decisions, it's that Leach probably wouldn't cooperate in changing the offense to help the defense; taking a holistic view to both offense and defense. Kill and Claeys did that here (as does PJ - Mason before them) and many other coaches.

I have a feeling it's not that Claeys was hamstrung specifically in defensive decisions, it's that Leach probably wouldn't cooperate in changing the offense to help the defense; taking a holistic view to both offense and defense. Kill and Claeys did that here (as does PJ - Mason before them) and many other coaches.

This may be true, but if so, Claeys had to know he was barking up the wrong tree. Mike Leach is known for the Air Raid offense, for better or worse, I don't think that'll ever change.

If you have ever had a boss from Hell, you can probably recognize that Mike Leach has serious BFH potential. I'm surprised anybody can last a year and a half under that megalomaniac.

Running the defense behind a Mike Leach offense is no picnic.

When the offense is not clicking, the clock is not running and it leaves the defense on the field for a good portion of the game, with little rest.

I had read Leach wanted him to stay. Claey's was asked to make some changes (rightfully so), and he couldn't come to terms with that, and stated that he couldn't. He was then given the ultimatum of resigning or getting fired.

The defense gave up 110 points in two weeks. Of course Leach is going to demand changes on the defense. I'm guessing Claey's was asked to get rid of some of his defensive coaches, and he said no. Look at it from both sides, Claey's may be admirable for being loyal to his coaches, but Leach has every right to ask him to make some changes after the atrocious performances.

They gave up a 32 point lead in one half, for crying out loud.

Last edited:

The defense gave up 110 points in two weeks. Of course Leach is going to demand changes on the defense. I'm guessing Claey's was asked to get rid of some of his defensive coaches, and he said no. Look at it from both sides, Claey's may be admirable for being loyal to his coaches, but Leach has every right to ask him to make some changes after the atrocious performances.

They gave up a 32 point lead in one half, for crying out loud.

Maybe they gave up 110 points after Leach started getting involved?

I had read Leach wanted him to stay. Claey's was asked to make some changes (rightfully so), and he couldn't come to terms with that, and stated that he couldn't. He was then given the ultimatum of resigning or getting fired.

If that is true, wouldn't he be better off getting fired as opposed to resigning? Assume that by resigning he is losing whatever contract protections he had. Most coordinators have at least 1 or 2 additional years on their contract that gets paid out when they get fired.

If that is true, wouldn't he be better off getting fired as opposed to resigning? Assume that by resigning he is losing whatever contract protections he had. Most coordinators have at least 1 or 2 additional years on their contract that gets paid out when they get fired.

I thought Tracey didn’t believe in ‘contracts’?

Top Bottom