Claeys explains why he resigned

Bob_Loblaw

I have a feeling it's not that Claeys was hamstrung specifically in defensive decisions, it's that Leach probably wouldn't cooperate in changing the offense to help the defense; taking a holistic view to both offense and defense. Kill and Claeys did that here (as does PJ - Mason before them) and many other coaches.
This may be true, but if so, Claeys had to know he was barking up the wrong tree. Mike Leach is known for the Air Raid offense, for better or worse, I don't think that'll ever change.

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
If you have ever had a boss from Hell, you can probably recognize that Mike Leach has serious BFH potential. I'm surprised anybody can last a year and a half under that megalomaniac.

Vandy

Running the defense behind a Mike Leach offense is no picnic.

When the offense is not clicking, the clock is not running and it leaves the defense on the field for a good portion of the game, with little rest.

skauma

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/04/former-gophers-coach-tracy-claeys-resigns-as-washington-state-coordinator/

Gotta admire Claeys for this. He said they couldn’t agree on how to run/fix the defense so he turned in his resignation.

Shocker, Leach probably stuck his nose in Claeys’ business. Leach will never be more than a 2nd or 3rd tier coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had read Leach wanted him to stay. Claey's was asked to make some changes (rightfully so), and he couldn't come to terms with that, and stated that he couldn't. He was then given the ultimatum of resigning or getting fired.

skauma

The defense gave up 110 points in two weeks. Of course Leach is going to demand changes on the defense. I'm guessing Claey's was asked to get rid of some of his defensive coaches, and he said no. Look at it from both sides, Claey's may be admirable for being loyal to his coaches, but Leach has every right to ask him to make some changes after the atrocious performances.

They gave up a 32 point lead in one half, for crying out loud.

Last edited:

Spoofin

The defense gave up 110 points in two weeks. Of course Leach is going to demand changes on the defense. I'm guessing Claey's was asked to get rid of some of his defensive coaches, and he said no. Look at it from both sides, Claey's may be admirable for being loyal to his coaches, but Leach has every right to ask him to make some changes after the atrocious performances.

They gave up a 32 point lead in one half, for crying out loud.
Maybe they gave up 110 points after Leach started getting involved?

MNVCGUY

I had read Leach wanted him to stay. Claey's was asked to make some changes (rightfully so), and he couldn't come to terms with that, and stated that he couldn't. He was then given the ultimatum of resigning or getting fired.
If that is true, wouldn't he be better off getting fired as opposed to resigning? Assume that by resigning he is losing whatever contract protections he had. Most coordinators have at least 1 or 2 additional years on their contract that gets paid out when they get fired.

e.bigelow

If that is true, wouldn't he be better off getting fired as opposed to resigning? Assume that by resigning he is losing whatever contract protections he had. Most coordinators have at least 1 or 2 additional years on their contract that gets paid out when they get fired.
I thought Tracey didn’t believe in ‘contracts’?

StCroix

Guy didn’t get his way so he bailed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Panthadad2

I've never met the man so am talking out of my a$$ here, but my take on Claeys is that he's an honorable and simple man (simple in Lynyrd Skynyrd terms - not derogatory) that probably doesn't care a whole lot about milking the last few bucks out of a contract.

"...And be a simple kind of man.
Be something you love and understand.
Be a simple kind of man.
Won't you do this for me son,
If you can?
Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied."

matt

Let's get weird
I didn't read the article, I hit my max articles for the month, but if him and Leach agreed that he should resign, that's one thing. If not, I think he should have stuck it out until the end of the year.
Go incognito. Or open the link in another browser.

Some guy

LOL. And that defensive scheme is doing so well that the D coordinator was recently fired.
Are you talking about him and his embarrassing defense at Wazzu? Or the Illinois defense also bad?

I am talking about one program that is zone heavy likely not being a good fit for a defensive coach who likes to run more than 50% man.

Latest profile posts