Chris Webber takes shot at Gophers for taking him to Gopher football game on recruiting visit; and how it led to him going to Michigan (video)

Can somebody who knows the story explain to me what the hell he's talking about? I have vague memories of claims that Webber would have come to Minnesota, but Clem had to stop recruiting him because Webber went to a suite on his visit. But what I get from this video is that he was already set to go to Michigan State when came to Minnesota on the visit. They took him to the Metrodome for a football game against Michigan State and one of the Gopher coaches took him to a suite where he shook hands with some guy? And the Michigan State AD took a picture of the handshake "through a Coke bottle" and then he couldn't go to Michigan State anymore? What?

Can somebody who knows the story explain to me what the hell he's talking about? I have vague memories of claims that Webber would have come to Minnesota, but Clem had to stop recruiting him because Webber went to a suite on his visit. But what I get from this video is that he was already set to go to Michigan State when came to Minnesota on the visit. They took him to the Metrodome for a football game against Michigan State and one of the Gopher coaches took him to a suite where he shook hands with some guy? And the Michigan State AD took a picture of the handshake "through a Coke bottle" and then he couldn't go to Michigan State anymore? What?

I had the same memory of the situation as you did as well as the same reaction to his rambling nonsene. I took the video making sense more of one of those "don't stop him, he's on a role" rambling sessions that just wasn't going to make sense.

Go Gophers!!

He’s basically a pretty bright guy and I think a decent commentator, but the guy has no moral compass at all. Ditching his fellow fab five guys and admitting nothing in that corruption is pretty low. Say what you want about Jalen Rose, but the guy was honest about what happened. Webber not so much.

Fake story. Webber was a sheltered kid and wasn’t going to leave Michigan. He loved his visit to Minnesota. Milton Barnes was the assistant who recruited Webber who’s from Michigan. Basically told him if Minnesota was in Michigan he’d commit

Last edited:

I said this over on the FB board but imagine a time when we had top notch national recruits on campus and some even signed. Clem was a gem. All he had to offer was help writing papers about menstrual cycles while Michigan is handing over bags of cash and car keys. Time to raise the final 4 banner and give Clem the recognition he deserves here.

He’s basically a pretty bright guy and I think a decent commentator, but the guy has no moral compass at all. Ditching his fellow fab five guys and admitting nothing in that corruption is pretty low. Say what you want about Jalen Rose, but the guy was honest about what happened. Webber not so much.
When Rose and Webber ripped on Grant Hill for having a good upbringing, I generally hate on these guys whenever I can.

This seems way more about his relationship with Michigan and Jalen Rose specifically and Minnesota just taking stay bullets. The logic of the story doesn't even make sense: MSU's AD takes a picture (this is pre cellphone, so the MSU AD is just bringing a camera in to the Dome...) of CWebb shaking hands with some guy in a suite. Yet somehow that picture, makes it so a prized recruit cannot attend...Michigan State? CWebb feels slighted by Michigan and that Fab 5 documentary and what better way to get back at them but by saying he would have went to their hated rival if he could have. That's my best guess at a pretty strange story.

My memory is coming back on this a bit. I thought the story was we took Webber to a Vikes game on Sunday at the Dome, he was in a suite which was either shown on TV or on the big screen and that eliminated Minnesota from his recruitment as it was a violation. I'm pretty sure this was the story as it relates to Minnesota eliminating itself.

Go Gophers!!

My memory is coming back on this a bit. I thought the story was we took Webber to a Vikes game on Sunday at the Dome, he was in a suite which was either shown on TV or on the big screen and that eliminated Minnesota from his recruitment as it was a violation. I'm pretty sure this was the story as it relates to Minnesota eliminating itself.

Go Gophers!!
Not sure if it was a Vikes or a Gopher game, but being in the suite was the violation that ended the Gopher recruitment. My memory says it was reported by a rival, probably MSU. I don’t remember it being public. We need Sid back. He would know all the details.

When Rose and Webber ripped on Grant Hill for having a good upbringing, I generally hate on these guys whenever I can.
I don’t remember that. I also think Webber grew up in a pretty basic middle class family. Rosé definitely not.

Top Bottom