Chris Streveler! NFL version of closer??

It is shocking that he didn't get run at the U.

He was not only (clearly) the most talented QB but an absolute perfect fit for the system.

Strange times.
Clearly the most talented while at the U? Based on what? We could tell he was a great athlete while he was here but not sure any of us would have seen enough to say he was the best QB since he hardly played the position while at the U.

He had to transfer down to South Dakota, where he really blew up against FCS competition. No doubt he was an amazing athlete but not sure he was clearly the best QB while he was here, at least the coaches didn't feel that way. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they had put him out there.

Clearly the most talented while at the U? Based on what? We could tell he was a great athlete while he was here but not sure any of us would have seen enough to say he was the best QB since he hardly played the position while at the U.

He had to transfer down to South Dakota, where he really blew up against FCS competition. No doubt he was an amazing athlete but not sure he was clearly the best QB while he was here, at least the coaches didn't feel that way. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they had put him out there.
I think it's common sense. He has been fantastic at every single stop along the way and was buried on the depth chart here by people who didn't exactly light the world on fire. So either something magical happened in his first summer at USD (which also says a bit about our ability to develop players) or we missed on him. I think it's more likely we missed on him but neither scenario reflects well on how we used our QBs.

The fact that he "had to transfer down" is precisely why it is so shocking to me. All of the evidence before and after his time at the U seems to indicate that he was talented enough to play QB at the U. I understand the coaches didn't feel that way, but I think even good coaches can be wrong.

Put it this way, if Morgan struggles again this year and ZA or Clark go on to play 5-6 seasons in the NFL, I would say Fleck very likely made a mistake with the QB depth chart.

I think it's common sense. He has been fantastic at every single stop along the way and was buried on the depth chart here by people who didn't exactly light the world on fire. So either something magical happened in his first summer at USD (which also says a bit about our ability to develop players) or we missed on him. I think it's more likely we missed on him but neither scenario reflects well on how we used our QBs.

The fact that he "had to transfer down" is precisely why it is so shocking to me. All of the evidence before and after his time at the U seems to indicate that he was talented enough to play QB at the U. I understand the coaches didn't feel that way, but I think even good coaches can be wrong.

Put it this way, if Morgan struggles again this year and ZA or Clark go on to play 5-6 seasons in the NFL, I would say Fleck very likely made a mistake with the QB depth chart.
My issue was really only with the idea that he was clearly the best option while here. Hindsight being 20/20 he may very well have been but guys come out of nowhere or develop at different rates.

Take a guy like Trey Lance. Based on how things turned out it looks like FBS teams all messed up by not being willing to give him a shot at QB. But at the time when he was coming out of high school he didn't look like he would turn out to be the kind of player he did. He didn't play much as a true freshman either and didn't explode until his second year at NDSU.

So yeah, Kill and company may have messed up by not giving Streveler the reigns but who knows what they were seeing, maybe Steveler was immature and needed to grow up....tough to say.

Probably didn't get a fair shake at Minnesota. Though he didn't do much when he did play. Hope he makes the Jets,

2014 Game Logs​

RushingPassing
RkDateSchoolOpponentAttYdsAvgTDCmpAttPctYdsTDIntRate
12014-08-28MinnesotaEastern IllinoisW5214.2011100.01200200.8
22014-09-06MinnesotaMiddle Tennessee StateW122.0000000
32014-09-13Minnesota@Texas ChristianL7334.702366.71810227.1
42014-09-20MinnesotaSan Jose StateW181618.911714.3701-5.9
52014-11-08MinnesotaIowaW5183.6000000
5 Games362356.5141136.4371176.4

Passing​

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2014MinnesotaBig TenFRQB541136.4373.41.11176.4
*2015MinnesotaBig TenSOWR300000
CareerMinnesota41136.4373.41.11176.4

RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2014MinnesotaBig TenFRQB5362356.51000362356.51
*2015MinnesotaBig TenSOWR3482.00144.005122.40
CareerMinnesota402436.11144.00412476.01

Coaches make mistakes in recruiting and in evaluation. We missed on this one.

It’s funny that some on here think coaches are always right or because they see the players every day there is something there that we don’t know about driving all their decisions and we should just keep quiet and not criticize.

They are human beings and coaches play favorites, have agendas, have blind spots and/or sometimes just do really stupid things with personnel moves. For anyone that actually has spent any time in a big boy locker room I think they generally have seen instances of this; not a lot but occasionally and obviously it happens.

It’s funny that some on here think coaches are always right or because they see the players every day there is something there that we don’t know about driving all their decisions and we should just keep quiet and not criticize.

If Streveler was better than he showed here, then nearly every college coach in America was wrong.

Minnesota was the only school who offered him out of H.S.

Unfortunately he will either be cut or on practice squad. Flacco and Wilson are 1/2.

They are human beings and coaches play favorites, have agendas, have blind spots and/or sometimes just do really stupid things with personnel moves. For anyone that actually has spent any time in a big boy locker room I think they generally have seen instances of this; not a lot but occasionally and obviously it happens.
I don't think coaches are always right but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they are working with a he!! of a lot more information than I am. Especially when it comes to personnel decisions.

These coaches are being payed millions of dollars and their job security depends on winning football games. I know you want to believe Fleck and now apparently Kill would intentionally play a worse player over a better one for whatever crazy reason but I am foolishly willing to assume they have their reasons based on the hundreds of hours they are spending with the players over the course of their careers.

1 for 7, 7 yards and an int
With a couple of late runs to kill the clock. Was surprised to see him go into a slide on one when he had a head of steam and a chance to punish a defensive back. Don't recall any such discretion when he ran wild against San Jose State.

I don't think it's accurate to say accurate to say fantastic. He killed it at South Dakota. Was a great rusher and arguably mediocre to bad passer in the CFL, and was not trusted to throw the ball with Arizona while not doing a lot of anything.

Vikings could do worse than pick up Streveler and put him on taxi squad. Think he's better than Mond.

I'm not saying Streveler would have been All B10, but this just goes to show how terrible Jerry Kill was at managing and coaching his QBs. He literally had zero trust in Streveler, and game planned as such. Those 7 attempts? Most were on 3rd and long when they have to pass. That doesn't give someone much room to succeed. I'd say Streveler went on to prove that it was Jerry Kill that failed, not Streveler. Streveler would have been at the same level of legend as Leidner was at the least.

I don't think it's accurate to say accurate to say fantastic. He killed it at South Dakota. Was a great rusher and arguably mediocre to bad passer in the CFL, and was not trusted to throw the ball with Arizona while not doing a lot of anything.
He was runner up in the FCS equivalent Heisman race, is a legend in Canada and is good enough to keep banging away in the NFL. A lot of talent and Jerry had him playing WR?

He was runner up in the FCS equivalent Heisman race, is a legend in Canada and is good enough to keep banging away in the NFL. A lot of talent and Jerry had him playing WR?
Your response doesn't really address what I said about him not being fantastic at every stop. We agree he killed it at South Dakota. Being "a legend" for the blue bombers doesn't change the fact that he wasn't a good passer.

Should he have gotten the chance to start here and display his talents in a greater capacity than one game against San Jose State. Yes. Was he fantastic at every level. No.

Watching CBS Sports HQ and the host mentioned that Streveler led the Jets to game winning drives in all three preseason games! Thought it was noteworthy.
Streveler should go ask the lying selfish prick Jerry kill on the sidelines this weekend if he still thinks his hands are to small to throw the ball … he should personally thank kill for being so damn stupid and ignorant.

Your response doesn't really address what I said about him not being fantastic at every stop. We agree he killed it at South Dakota. Being "a legend" for the blue bombers doesn't change the fact that he wasn't a good passer.

Should he have gotten the chance to start here and display his talents in a greater capacity than one game against San Jose State. Yes. Was he fantastic at every level. No.
No offense, but I think you're being a bit pedantic here. I don't think you actually think any of us thought he was a great NFL QB. He has carved out an NFL career. He was good enough in the CFL to get a chance in the NFL and was fantastic at USD. We are now arguing between our different definitions of "fantastic" and that difference of opinion really has nothing to do with the entire argument.

Does it change anything in this argument if we say this - - he was great at USD, a bit one dimensional but good in the CFL and is now getting run in the NFL? It's shocking that someone with that ability (whether you would call it fantastic or not) did not get run at the U.

Top Bottom