Chip: Will Fleck ever come to the realization that being ultraconservative isn't the recipe for success against quality teams?

If I were to complain about the offense, I would say it is too predictable. You shouldn't make it so easy for you your opponent to prepare for you. Big plays are as much a function of misdirection as they are aggressive play calling.
Our offense is basically a middle finger to the opponent and a "just try and stop us" approach. It will keep us good (because of our line experience and size), but you need to fool the opponent on occasion to be great.

If I were to complain about the offense, I would say it is too predictable. You shouldn't make it so easy for you your opponent to prepare for you. Big plays are as much a function of misdirection as they are aggressive play calling.
Agree 100%.

I did like that we hurried up to the line quickly in a few 3rd and short situations. If we get that close to a 1st down, hurry up to the line and don't let the defense sub. Let them try to stop a QB sneak or RB run while in the nickel.

This is a great question.

In my opinion, whether you kick the field goal on the 2 yard line or not, is not the problem or cause for my frustration. My frustration lies in how we call plays when we get to about the 35 yard line of the opposing team. We are playing to "not give away a chance to kick a field goal". So, we go ultraconservative on the play calling and end up with exactly what you would expect....a field goal attempt. This is where we need to break out the proper plays to actually try to score touchdowns. Do not take your foot off the gas at this point.

The Iowa game was a great example of this mentality. Look at the touchdowns we scored. One was on the pass to Ko, which was the 2nd time this season the team actually called a play designed to catch a team keying on the obvious play and we scored a touchdown both times.

Our other touchdown versus Iowa was the long pass. Our only touchdowns were outside this blatant area where we go ultraconservative.

This is my frustration. This is where I feel we play not to lose. In the sage country words of Chris Stapleton, "Nobody wins, afraid of losin'"
I agree totally.

It could be related to the pressure PJ is feeling at being competitive in the B1G. He has to "play to win" instead of "playing not to lose". All of the recent Iowa games have the same theme. Iowa pulls out all of the stops and will do anything to win while we just try to survive and not make a mistake.

You have to give your players an opportunity to make plays to win the game, instead of reducing the chances for them to screw it up.

I thought the same thing!

I remember watching Fleck's Western Michigan team playing in the MAC Championship and the Cotton Bowl. His teams did look to the sideline every play, but the offense was much more dynamic than we are seeing now. They ran and passed up and down the field. They were fun to watch and you could see the offensive genius of what was called keeping the defense on their heels. We have seriously detoured from that offensive scheme and play calling.
Good observations. But I liken it to Scott Frost's success at UCF. Playing in the B1G, you face high level defenses most weeks. At WMU, Fleck probably saw a good defense one or twice a year.

And while this offense took a huge hit when Mo went down, the veteran OLIne still existed.

The one thing elite head coaches possess is the ability to adapt to conditions. Look at Iowa and Wisky. Their skill position players are nothing special. They win with special teams and defense.

Fleck isn't some rookie HC still learning the ropes. Being stubborn in your approach isn't working.

So it definitely wasn't Walley's best game ever. Kid is a true freshman.
Iowa seemed to go at him a lot and he was alone with no safety on several deep routes. He could have been better but how often do we have a true frosh CB starting that does even reasonably well under those conditions?

My point is just that I think he got exposed a bit more Saturday, and Iowa had more WR speed than most of our previous opponents. I'd give him at least a C for coverage.

Good observations. But I liken it to Scott Frost's success at UCF. Playing in the B1G, you face high level defenses most weeks. At WMU, Fleck probably saw a good defense one or twice a year.

And while this offense took a huge hit when Mo went down, the veteran OLIne still existed.

The one thing elite head coaches possess is the ability to adapt to conditions. Look at Iowa and Wisky. Their skill position players are nothing special. They win with special teams and defense.

Fleck isn't some rookie HC still learning the ropes. Being stubborn in your approach isn't working.
That’s why Iowa abandoned its strategy from 2005-2007 and from 2010-2014

That’s why Iowa abandoned its strategy from 2005-2007 and from 2010-2014
We joke around all the time about modeling Wisconsin and Iowa. But in the B1G West, you will be successful if you do exactly that.

I hope PJF isn't too stubborn or arrogant to change.

Cause I will almost guarantee everyone that Bret Bielema will mimic that game plan.

I agree totally.

It could be related to the pressure PJ is feeling at being competitive in the B1G. He has to "play to win" instead of "playing not to lose". All of the recent Iowa games have the same theme. Iowa pulls out all of the stops and will do anything to win while we just try to survive and not make a mistake.

You have to give your players an opportunity to make plays to win the game, instead of reducing the chances for them to screw it up.
Nailed it.
I think his fixation with TOP is just that; reduce the chances to screw something up.

We joke around all the time about modeling Wisconsin and Iowa. But in the B1G West, you will be successful if you do exactly that.

I hope PJF isn't too stubborn or arrogant to change.

Cause I will almost guarantee everyone that Bret Bielema will mimic that game plan.
OMG you didn’t get the joke

I thought the same thing!

I remember watching Fleck's Western Michigan team playing in the MAC Championship and the Cotton Bowl. His teams did look to the sideline every play, but the offense was much more dynamic than we are seeing now. They ran and passed up and down the field. They were fun to watch and you could see the offensive genius of what was called keeping the defense on their heels. We have seriously detoured from that offensive scheme and play calling.

Fleck has always been a ball control guy. I think some Gopher fans (prior to seeing his teams) assumed the offense would match the personality. The truth is that this year is drastically different from the average PJ Fleck year.

2016 - Western Michigan threw the ball 37% of the time (makes sense, they were winning in more games)
2019 - Gophers threw the ball 37% of the time. This year's stats are actually remarkably similar to the 2016 Western Michigan team.
2020 - Gophers threw the ball 38% of the time.
2021 - Gophers threw the ball 31% of the time.

Fleck's offenses use to be power running mixed with RPO slant and the occasional (usually max protect) deep ball. I disagree with a lot of the posters here that long plays come from misdirection, I think they normally come from putting the defense into difficult positions like being forced to stack the box and defend dynamic receivers one-on-one.

The problem is this year, IMO, we have gotten away from the power running, slant/deep ball offense. And we don't have the receivers or QB to make teams pay for stacking the box. We are good enough at running to keep running, but we lack big plays.

I would argue that conservative may have won that game if it was wasn't for the major deviation from conservative approach in trying a FG that had no chance of working. The smart move there is to punt that ball and pin em.

OMG you didn’t get the joke
Disregard my post then.

But I stand by my prediction that Minnesota will fall behind Illinois too if Fleck doesn't figure it out.

If your name isn't tOSU, you win in this conference with an above average defense and ST. November football just isn't conducive to passing the ball. It still mystifies me why Fleck didn't pound the ball when Iowa couldn't stop the run?

Maybe he wants Gopher passing highlites on ESPN.

I may be in the minority, but I didn't have a problem with kicking the FG in the 1st quarter (more upset about not hitting the pass on 2nd down). Tying the game up in the 1st quarter in what is expected to be a low to moderately scoring game isn't "playing not to lose."

I do wish we were more aggressive at the end of the 1st half because Trickett hasn't exactly been automatic. But once the 4th down hit, I think Fleck played it fine; run the clock down, last play of the half FG. Trickett was solid & a bright spot on Saturday.

I did have a big problem trotting out a different kicker for that long FG. I actually wanted them to do the conservative approach there & pooch punt it & try to pin them inside the 10, possibly the 5.

It was frustrating because the recipe for the win was there; time of possession, running game success, turnover battle. But did not seize it, whether it was the offense (Morgan & passing game), defense (potential INT's & a few 3rd down give ups) & coaching (it wasn't too early to give up on the run on the 2nd to last drive with just over 3 minutes left - came out slinging the ball on 1st two plays).
Yes, you don't put a kicker out there who has NEVER kicked a FG in a game before and certainly not at a point of time in a game where EVERY point matters and you're giving away field position if you miss. Going for it had more likelihood of being successful than putting the pressure on this guy to make that kick. I think I heard Fleck say Post game, that he makes these in practice... (SMH) umm, ok, that's A LOT different than game time in the biggest game of the year to date at the most critical point of that game!!!

Our offense is basically a middle finger to the opponent and a "just try and stop us" approach. It will keep us good (because of our line experience and size), but you need to fool the opponent on occasion to be great.
Unfortunately, if a team takes that approach (Tressel Ball), you almost always need better players than the other team. And, as we have found out, if the passing game gets buried and you find yourself behind, trouble happens.
Was a really tough loss to swallow.

Yes, you don't put a kicker out there who has NEVER kicked a FG in a game before and certainly not at a point of time in a game where EVERY point matters and you're giving away field position if you miss. Going for it had more likelihood of being successful than putting the pressure on this guy to make that kick. I think I heard Fleck say Post game, that he makes these in practice... (SMH) umm, ok, that's A LOT different than game time in the biggest game of the year to date at the most critical point of that game!!!
If Fleck really made that comment regarding kicking in practice, it tells me he still thinks it was the right call.

That, my friends, sums up this season. A HC that is out of touch with reality. This program will be last in the West before they win the West.

Actually, I think that is a big reason why Fleck hasn't been going for 4th and 1 that much anymore. He used to go for it on 4th down all the time but got burned bad in the Bowling Green game. That fail was a big reason why they lost that game. That's why he is making the big bucks -- he has to know when it's a good time to go for it and when to punt -- and have the right play called when he DOES go for it, too!!
He got burned on BG 4th down because of field position. It's worth going for it past mid-field. Doesn't kill you if it fails. Fleck dumb mistake was all about when and where.

Unfortunately, if a team takes that approach (Tressel Ball), you almost always need better players than the other team. And, as we have found out, if the passing game gets buried and you find yourself behind, trouble happens.
Was a really tough loss to swallow.
Woah, tressel ball you need better players than the opponent to win. We should switch to the strategy that you can have way worse players and win consistently. Who runs that and can we hire their coach?

If I’m a highly recruited qb or wr… why would I come here? 2019 was attractive but you can only recruit off that season for so long. This playcalling and strategy will hinder recruiting eventually.

I have no doubt PJ will change his best and change his offensive approach.
He caters his teams to his best players, and right now he thinks O-line are his best players.

Hopefully someday soon, we'll have our QB be our best player.
That's not this year, however.

If I’m a highly recruited qb or wr… why would I come here? 2019 was attractive but you can only recruit off that season for so long. This playcalling and strategy will hinder recruiting eventually.
It already has if you look at current commits.

HOWEVER, there's always a pleasant surprise along the way and I think the Gophs will grab a few guys that will raise the rankings.

We are in the final sweepstakes for the top ranked Center out of Wisconsin.

Top Bottom