Chip: The Gophers football regular season is mercifully over, and it can be stated unequivocally that the campaign was a pig.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

The Gophers football regular season is mercifully over, and it can be stated unequivocally that the campaign was a pig.

That's the extent of it. They won a bronze pig for the first time in forever. After that, meh. A real dud.

Go Gophers!!

Didn’t read it, but there’s no way to sugarcoat how bad this season was. It was just about the worst case scenario in every fashion: wins and losses, player development (esp QB), depth, inability for coaching staff to adjust on the fly, etc. The only thing I feel better about than I did at the start of the season is Taylor and Evans at RB, but with NIL who even knows if they’ll return. I’ll choose to believe PJ sees the issues as well and will make necessary adjustments, but things look fairly bleak right now.

You need to update your how many days till Floyd comes home tracker since he is already safely back home in Minnesota where he belongs.

As to the article....yep....Iowa win was the only true bright spot from what has otherwise been a very disappointing season. Funny part is that prior to 2013 a 3 win conference season wouldn't have surprised anyone so it does show how far the program has come in the past 10 years that a season like the one we just had has some calling for the coach to be fired.

Going to be an interesting off season to see what changes are made heading into 2024 to hopefully avoid a repeat.

That’s revisionist history. Nobody was happy with three Big Ten wins during Mason’s era.

Fifth consecutive win against Nebraska too (which was key to extending their bowl-ineligibility streak to seven seasons), in what is the greatest rivalry the sport’s people in suits don’t want to exist.

That’s revisionist history. Nobody was happy with three Big Ten wins during Mason’s era.
Assuming that was in reference to my post.....didn't say anyone was happy about 3 win or fewer conference seasons prior to 2013 but they were far more common than they have become in the past 10 years.

Mason had 3 Big Ten wins or less in 6 of his 10 years here. The standard has clearly been raised and that is a good thing but I think some have lost sight of where this program was not all that long ago and are acting like a down season like the one we just had is something that should never happen here when in the past a season like 2023 was the norm most years.

It is on Fleck to make sure that 2023 is just a blip and we quickly get back to finishing above .500 in the conference at a minimum.

Going to be an interesting off season to see what changes are made heading into 2024 to hopefully avoid a repeat.

This should be Fleck's most challenging offseason ever. Next year's schedule doesn't give us any respite:

North Carolina
Iowa
Michigan (away)
USC
UCLA (away)
Penn State
Wisconsin (away)

Then we have Illinois who has beaten us 3 straight times and we're only 3-3 against Maryland since they joined the Big Ten.

This should be Fleck's most challenging offseason ever. Next year's schedule doesn't give us any respite:

North Carolina
Iowa
Michigan (away)
USC
UCLA (away)
Penn State
Wisconsin (away)

Then we have Illinois who has beaten us 3 straight times and we're only 3-3 against Maryland since they joined the Big Ten.
Big Ten schedule is never going to be easy but on the plus side North Carolina won't have Maye, USC won't have Williams and good chance Michigan won't have McCarthy. Who knows who they will replace those guys with but solid chance it will be a downgrade of some kind at the QB position.

As long as Fleck gets things back on track we should be able to compete with the majority of the teams on our schedule next year but will come down to how things shake out roster wise.

Top Bottom