Chip Scoggins-Strib/ Missing Marion: Laurence Maroney lost his rushing partner but not the memories.

Ope3

Reaction score

What an outstanding article, thanks for posting.

A lot of sadness in that article, but also a story of redemption and hope.

That duo are Gopher legends forever. Here's to MB3's legacy and a happy and productive life for Maroney.

And once again Chip shows why he's the best in the market.

Go Gophers!!

Absolutely wonderful article. For those of us who had the privilege and pleasure of watching these two play together on the field, it will bring back some cherished memories of our once dominant running attack. It is good to see that Laurence has picked up the pieces and is moving forward with his life. I followed both of their careers closely once they went into the NFL and I was heartbroken when I heard about the untimely death of Marion. MB III seemed like a super guy, based on the stories in this article. As previously mentioned, it is worth the read if you love Gopher FB and its history.

Last edited:

Excellent article. Looking back at their NFL numbers, they both had their best season in 2007.

Phenomenal article. I am 39 - to me they are Gopher Football. They are what those a few years older than me think of when they think of Darrel Thompson or how my Grandpa would talk about Bruce Smith and some of the greats from the 40s and 50s.

Not to side track the article, the U needs to do a better job of recognizing former players at the stadium. Would be fun to have a Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber day. Put their names up similar to what the Vikings do with their ring of honor.

We say you should be prepared for life after football with your degree and so forth. However having to walk away from something you love to do year round, whether it be training for the game, playing for the game and so forth, has to be tough after so many years being around the game of football.

What a marvelous article. Great job Chip. The two were truly a dynamic duo for the Gophers. These were the years in which my boys became true Gopher fans and, for that, I thank Laurance and MB3

Phenomenal article. I am 39 - to me they are Gopher Football. They are what those a few years older than me think of when they think of Darrel Thompson or how my Grandpa would talk about Bruce Smith and some of the greats from the 40s and 50s.

Not to side track the article, the U needs to do a better job of recognizing former players at the stadium. Would be fun to have a Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber day. Put their names up similar to what the Vikings do with their ring of honor.
Amen brother

Many, many former players, college and pro struggle for a bit when they’re done. Most come out the backside, strong but it takes time and some are never the same. Watching that O compared to watching the filth we are seeing seen now couldn’t be more night and day. I miss it; it’s sad.

Brilliant article.

My two favorite Gophers of all time. Absolute legends.

Top Bottom