Chip: Rossi oversaw a defensive makeover so extreme that he deserves national recognition;

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The defense, under the direction of coordinator Joe Rossi, flew around like it was operating on jet fuel. The Badgers offense managed six points. Two field goals. That's it. Six points by a team that averaged 32 points during a seven-game winning streak.

Rossi oversaw a defensive makeover so extreme that he deserves national recognition. The Gophers allowed 30.1 points per game last season. They nearly cut that statistic in half this season, holding opponents to 18 points per game, the first time they have finished below 20 points in scoring defense since 1999.

From front to back, Rossi's unit swarmed and tackled the Badgers with force and purpose. Wisconsin's most effective play was to throw deep and hope for a pass interference penalty. It worked a few times.

The Gophers defense outperformed one of college football's top defenses. They won in the trenches against a program that prides itself on dominating the trenches.

"That was exceptional," Fleck said of the effort.

Wisconsin's freshman tailback Braelon Allen repeatedly ran into a brick wall in accumulating only 47 rushing yards after eclipsing 100 yards in seven consecutive games.

Go Gophers!!

Give the man a raise and keep him here please. In fact, ditch Sanford and make Simon the OC. Give half the money saved on Sanford’s salary to Rossi and split the rest between the other defensive coaches.

Guessing Rossi will be seeing some of that increased assistant coach salary pool from PJs new deal, and it will be well deserved.

All that with some guys on defense who are still growing into their role(s).

Does Gibbens have a shot at getting drafted or sticking around in the NFL? To my untrained eye he has been a very good LB. It’s crazy to think about considering how unheralded he was as a transfer.
A few years ago, yes. Now, it's really hard for a LBer like him to play in the NFL. He doesn't even always play on obvious passing downs for us. The NFL game is so wide open, so it's much harder for a LBer like him to play.

I will say that he does really seem to diagnose plays rapidly and I'm sure he'll get a chance.

No he shouldn't have national attention. I would prefer that no one knows what a good job he has done, especially helmet schools with deep pockets and bad defenses.
He’s already nominated for Frank Broyles award this year (top assistant) and all coaches, ADs and hardcore fans know who he is already- up to Fleck to try and keep him for now

Does Gibbens have a shot at getting drafted or sticking around in the NFL? To my untrained eye he has been a very good LB. It’s crazy to think about considering how unheralded he was as a transfer.
I’d say yes as he has speed, size and makes plays consistently. Damion Wilson has had a nice NFL career as a comp who also transferred in. He can learn how to be better in pass coverage if need be as well.
i can see him being a day three guy and making a team that fits his skill set - needs the right scheme.

Rossi and the Defense put on a master class against Braelon Allen today. Kid has been dominant during Wisconsin's 7 game winning streak. Just look at his game logs from those games:

Today - 17 carries, 47 yards, 2.8 per carry, a long of 14, and 0 TD. Nobody in that 7 game run has kept him under 100 yards or held him to less than 5 yards per carry. Could not be more impressed by the job the defense did on him.

The formula for beating Wisconsin was simple in theory, contain Allen, make Mertz beat you. Over the last 7 weeks nobody has come close to doing it, today our defense was truly amazing.

The best play Wisconsin had was heaving a long pass and hoping for PI to get called.

per Chip:

The defense, under the direction of coordinator Joe Rossi, flew around like it was operating on jet fuel. The Badgers offense managed six points. Two field goals. That's it. Six points by a team that averaged 32 points during a seven-game winning streak.

Rossi oversaw a defensive makeover so extreme that he deserves national recognition. The Gophers allowed 30.1 points per game last season. They nearly cut that statistic in half this season, holding opponents to 18 points per game, the first time they have finished below 20 points in scoring defense since 1999.

From front to back, Rossi's unit swarmed and tackled the Badgers with force and purpose. Wisconsin's most effective play was to throw deep and hope for a pass interference penalty. It worked a few times.

The Gophers defense outperformed one of college football's top defenses. They won in the trenches against a program that prides itself on dominating the trenches.

"That was exceptional," Fleck said of the effort.

Wisconsin's freshman tailback Braelon Allen repeatedly ran into a brick wall in accumulating only 47 rushing yards after eclipsing 100 yards in seven consecutive games.

Go Gophers!!
Our defense has been old gold all season. Rossie should get a raise.

No he shouldn't have national attention. I would prefer that no one knows what a good job he has done, especially helmet schools with deep pockets and bad defenses.
I hear you. I'm certain that there are people in SoCal, Texas and Florida that have recognized his accomplishments for some time now!

Another crazy thing is that they don’t really have any star players on defense. Not sure if anyone makes first team defense. Just a bunch of solid players playing together as a unit.

Another crazy thing is that they don’t really have any star players on defense. Not sure if anyone makes first team defense. Just a bunch of solid players playing together as a unit.

Gibbens may be up there, but I'm sure they'll be slurping the Sconny LBs.

Durr might qualify as a star since teams rarely throw his direction. Walley is a star in the making. But agree that they just play great as a unit without the individual standouts. We had the better defense yesterday and that is impressive considering how awesome Wisconsin‘s D has been this year.

Maybe Coney Durr as first team?

Such a shame we only get him for one year. Heck of a find from the portal as he had a great year.

Well, portal is open again this year and there will be many more players entering it. I hope PJ finds more gold this offseason.

I am most impressed with the discipline of the defense, players pretty much always in the right spots. Rossi deserves all the accolades.

Well, portal is open again this year and there will be many more players entering it. I hope PJ finds more gold this offseason.
Given Fleck’s success with transfers I will be very excited to see any players they bring in. He hasn’t missed much and found some real gems.

Top Bottom