Chip on Cupito: Once a Gopher, now a Falcon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Bryan Cupito finished his Gophers career as the school's all-time leading passer, a record that has since been broken. He is quarterbacking a different team now, from a different position, and doing quite well.

Cupito led the Phelps Falcons 11U football team from Minneapolis to a second-place finish in a national tournament in Tennessee last week. Cupito serves as head coach. His son Carter is the quarterback.

The tournament featured 77 teams from 22 states. Teams were divided into divisions based on strength. The Falcons went 3-1 in the top division, defeating teams from Georgia, Indiana and Ohio. They lost to a team from Cupito's hometown, Cincinnati, in the championship game.

"I love coaching them," Cupito said. "Love it."

Cupito moved his family from a Twin Cities suburb to Minneapolis a few years ago and immediately got involved with the Phelps sports program, which has produced numerous standout athletes, including former Gophers receiver Tyler Johnson.

Cupito fell in love with the program after meeting Phelps Activities Council president Jim Halbur, who works tirelessly on behalf of the non-profit organization to provide kids from Minneapolis a positive outlet through sports.

Cupito's team plays in a handful of national tournaments each season. The Falcons traveled to Tennessee, Chicago and Iowa this season. They also played a team from Kansas City at U.S. Bank Stadium.

The team pays for trips through fundraisers and donations. Future Hall of Fame NFL receiver Larry Fitzgerald Jr. purchased new helmets for the program. Fitzgerald keeps tabs on the team and was ecstatic over the second-place finish.

Cupito loaded up his car with players for the 16-hour drive to Tennessee. Other parents car-pooled with them.

Cupito said his players feel like part of his family because of the time they spend together.

"Nearly all the kids play football, then basketball together," he said. "We never end — literally do stuff every week all year. I am a true influence in these kids' lives and I love my kids being around kids and families with all different backgrounds. I have kids sleeping at my house every weekend so they can make games. It's a lot more than just coaching."

Go Gophers!!

Great story! Now get those future studs wanting to play for the hometown team!

per Chip:

Bryan Cupito finished his Gophers career as the school's all-time leading passer, a record that has since been broken. He is quarterbacking a different team now, from a different position, and doing quite well.

Cupito led the Phelps Falcons 11U football team from Minneapolis to a second-place finish in a national tournament in Tennessee last week. Cupito serves as head coach. His son Carter is the quarterback.

The tournament featured 77 teams from 22 states. Teams were divided into divisions based on strength. The Falcons went 3-1 in the top division, defeating teams from Georgia, Indiana and Ohio. They lost to a team from Cupito's hometown, Cincinnati, in the championship game.

"I love coaching them," Cupito said. "Love it."

Cupito moved his family from a Twin Cities suburb to Minneapolis a few years ago and immediately got involved with the Phelps sports program, which has produced numerous standout athletes, including former Gophers receiver Tyler Johnson.

Cupito fell in love with the program after meeting Phelps Activities Council president Jim Halbur, who works tirelessly on behalf of the non-profit organization to provide kids from Minneapolis a positive outlet through sports.

Cupito's team plays in a handful of national tournaments each season. The Falcons traveled to Tennessee, Chicago and Iowa this season. They also played a team from Kansas City at U.S. Bank Stadium.

The team pays for trips through fundraisers and donations. Future Hall of Fame NFL receiver Larry Fitzgerald Jr. purchased new helmets for the program. Fitzgerald keeps tabs on the team and was ecstatic over the second-place finish.

Cupito loaded up his car with players for the 16-hour drive to Tennessee. Other parents car-pooled with them.

Cupito said his players feel like part of his family because of the time they spend together.

"Nearly all the kids play football, then basketball together," he said. "We never end — literally do stuff every week all year. I am a true influence in these kids' lives and I love my kids being around kids and families with all different backgrounds. I have kids sleeping at my house every weekend so they can make games. It's a lot more than just coaching."

Go Gophers!!
Future recruit?

That is awesome!

Would be curious to know how many DI football players have come up through the Phelps program.

Top Bottom