Chip: Michigan is a monster, and P.J. Fleck's best chance to slay is creativity

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

As much as it goes against his nature, Fleck should cut it loose. Empty the bag of tricks. Make aggressive decisions and calls. Open up the offense.

Because why not?

This matchup is a reminder that Big Ten expansion and the elimination of divisions starting next season will only make life more challenging for the Gophers. They won't face powerhouses every week, but they will encounter them more frequently.

Three of the incoming Pac-12 programs are ranked in the top 10 this week: Washington (7), Oregon (8) and USC (9). Add those to Michigan (2), Ohio State (4), Penn State (6) and annual rivals Wisconsin and Iowa, and the demise of the West Division is not a subtle development.

Michigan is the highest-ranked opponent Fleck has faced in his seven seasons at the helm. Fleck has mentioned previously that his current team performed better than previous Gophers teams in weight room testing during the offseason. The whole bigger, stronger, faster mantra.

This would be an ideal time for that to reveal itself.

Go Gophers!!

You have to have a QB to do that. Yes, we should do that but can't.

It may be 1-2 years for AK to do that kind of thing.

I don't know.

It's not so easy to say, hey they really need to pass like Tom Brady to win this game. Don't run because you will lose, throw like Brady and I told you so if you don't. Very lazy to say, "If they don't throw creatively like Tom Brady it's their fault they lost." Get me Tom Brady first.

I don't know.

It's not so easy to say, hey they really need to pass like Tom Brady to win this game. Don't run because you will lose, throw like Brady and I told you so if you don't. Very lazy to say, "If they don't throw creatively like Tom Brady it's their fault they lost." Get me Tom Brady first.
That's for sure. We should make last year's Tanner looking at the sideline for 15 seconds between plays look like a hurry up offence. Sit on the ball, let the air out.

That's for sure. We should make last year's Tanner looking at the sideline for 15 seconds between plays look like a hurry up offence. Sit on the ball, let the air out.
Agree as MI is more talented.
But if we’re going to hold the ball some motion or different sets or unique play calls would be nice. Actually, I’d be happy with the motion.

If the Gophers punt inside the Michigan 40 yard line I'm turning off the TV

Who needs millions of dollars in NIL when you can just get one of the stats professors for a few Saturdays and put him on headset channel 1? That prof would have never ever let PJ punt the ball back to Northwestern on 4th and 3.

Gophers would probably be 4-1 with math.

Play your game and pick a few spots to surprise. Although creativity here and there can be a game changer, we have to be successful at what WE do, not what some writer thinks we should do. Run the ball down their throats men. Then just need plenty of the 50/50s and weird bounces to go our way. Weirder things have happened!

I don't know.

Or maybe just the AK who was 26 for 33 the last two games. Nobody in college football has ever tried to pass the football without Tom Brady on the roster, right?

Who needs millions of dollars in NIL when you can just get one of the stats professors for a few Saturdays and put him on headset channel 1? That prof would have never ever let PJ punt the ball back to Northwestern on 4th and 3.

This x100.

The statistics around decisions like this are irrefutable and do not care about your feelings or intuition around how hot or cold your defense, offense, etc is. You only hurt your chance to win by failing to ignore the massive sample sizes which tell you to be far more aggressive than PJ usually is.

Herm Edwards weighs in with his own thoughts...

game-you-play-the-game-to-win-the-game.gif

PJ has some of you guys brainwashed on the slow play bullshit. When you play a defense as talented as this upfront, you can’t pull that stuff off. You have to be creative and you have to coach outside of the box. There’s no way we will be able to sustain 10 to 15 play drives running the ball 80% of the time against these guys. They could’ve just kept the jug in Michigan if we try slow play nonsense exclusively ‘cause that ain’t gonna work.

PJ has some of you guys brainwashed on the slow play bullshit. When you play a defense as talented as this upfront, you can’t pull that stuff off. You have to be creative and you have to coach outside of the box. There’s no way we will be able to sustain 10 to 15 play drives running the ball 80% of the time against these guys. They could’ve just kept the jug in Michigan if we try slow play nonsense exclusively ‘cause that ain’t gonna work.

I agree.

Get the QB that can do it. Don't have that now. Maybe with a year of growth.

I agree.

Get the QB that can do it. Don't have that now. Maybe with a year of growth.
Or maybe just the QB who was 26 for 33 the last two games, averaging 9.2 yards per attempt?

Or maybe just the QB who was 26 for 33 the last two games, averaging 9.2 yards per attempt?
I like our quarterback today McNamara is his high school rival – buddy he’s going to give it everything he has and be very motivated. That said, per Mike Tyson everyone has good intentions until you get punched in the mouth so we have to keep him relatively clean. The last two weeks were good, but Wisky last year the kid was great let’s channel that game.

Agree as MI is more talented.
But if we’re going to hold the ball some motion or different sets or unique play calls would be nice. Actually, I’d be happy with the motion.
As long as it's not from the one yard line in 4th quarter and clock running..... Damn you claeys!

If we do that I will effing go bananas.
Literally.
Thing is, there is a decent chance he does.
I’m telling you, his his facelift effed up his thinking. Oh wait, Nevermind, he punted inside the opponents 40 on fourth and short even prior to his facelift.

Top Bottom