Chip: If progress is measured in steps, the next one for Fleck's program is clear: Win the Big Ten West Division

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

If progress is measured in steps, the next one for Fleck's program is clear: Win the Big Ten West Division. Long-term sustainability is the ultimate objective but learning to take advantage of opportunities is an important trait for any program trying to break through.

That's what this is all about, seizing an opportunity. The West Division offers the usual suspects in Wisconsin and Iowa as strong contenders. The Badgers open as favorites in preseason publications and media polls, but the West certainly doesn't look like the East, with the appearance that it's one team (Ohio State) and then everybody else playing for second.

The roadblocks for the Gophers remain the same: Fleck is 1-7 against the two border rivals. Those two games likely will determine where the Gophers finish in the division once again. No magic formula here.

Opening the season against Ohio State provides the ultimate barometer to show where a team stands, but for the Gophers, the conversation should focus on more than one game. Where will they stand in November?

Preseason predictions are fun chatter but mostly useless. Goodness knows, Gophers fans have heard grandiose expectations before seasons that led to a big pile of squat. Let's keep the discussion simple and to the point.

The Gophers have a uniquely veteran roster that will look drastically different a year from now. What will they make of this opportunity?

Go Gophers!!

per Chip:

If progress is measured in steps, the next one for Fleck's program is clear: Win the Big Ten West Division. Long-term sustainability is the ultimate objective but learning to take advantage of opportunities is an important trait for any program trying to break through.

That's what this is all about, seizing an opportunity. The West Division offers the usual suspects in Wisconsin and Iowa as strong contenders. The Badgers open as favorites in preseason publications and media polls, but the West certainly doesn't look like the East, with the appearance that it's one team (Ohio State) and then everybody else playing for second.

The roadblocks for the Gophers remain the same: Fleck is 1-7 against the two border rivals. Those two games likely will determine where the Gophers finish in the division once again. No magic formula here.

Opening the season against Ohio State provides the ultimate barometer to show where a team stands, but for the Gophers, the conversation should focus on more than one game. Where will they stand in November?

Preseason predictions are fun chatter but mostly useless. Goodness knows, Gophers fans have heard grandiose expectations before seasons that led to a big pile of squat. Let's keep the discussion simple and to the point.

The Gophers have a uniquely veteran roster that will look drastically different a year from now. What will they make of this opportunity?

Go Gophers!!
Well written and tough to argue with. It's not like the season will be a failure if they don't win the West, but that's the next tangible step forward.

per Chip:

Preseason predictions are fun chatter but mostly useless. Goodness knows, Gophers fans have heard grandiose expectations before seasons that led to a big pile of squat.
Is this before my time or something? When have we ever gone into a season with grandiose expectations? I never once had them for Mason's teams or any since then.

Is this before my time or something? When have we ever gone into a season with grandiose expectations? I never once had them for Mason's teams or any since then.
I guess last year, kind of? We expected to carry a lot more momentum into that season, and opened up hosting Gameday.

I think for us that's how we measure it as fans often.

Players and coaches are a more micro view and it's next player, next day, next game and get better / plug this hole and so on.

I guess last year, kind of? We expected to carry a lot more momentum into that season, and opened up hosting Gameday.
Kind of is correct. But rarely do I feel like I expect more than a low tier bowl game.

It wasn't that long ago that "grandiose" expectations where getting to a bowl game or that we might actually beat a trophy team. I don't ever believe we thought we could compete nationally until this year. Considering we have about 80% of our offense from 2019 and a defense that is the most highly rated (in terms of recruiting rankings) and with a plethora of experience/transfers, I don't think these expectations are unwarranted.

If anyone had grandiose expectations after losing all that D talent, well.... But if it was last year, you'd think the writer would just mention "last year". I'm just thinking this is lazy, slop writing.

It wasn't that long ago that "grandiose" expectations where getting to a bowl game or that we might actually beat a trophy team. I don't ever believe we thought we could compete nationally until this year. Considering we have about 80% of our offense from 2019 and a defense that is the most highly rated (in terms of recruiting rankings) and with a plethora of experience/transfers, I don't think these expectations are unwarranted.
Ok, but now you're implying that "grandiose" for this year is the same as "grandiose" for the years we just wanted a bowl game. Both can't be "grandiose". Just lazy journalism, throw out some words to pad the article crap.

I hope for the same thing every year. All the traveling trophies end up in the same case at Minnesota at the end of the season.
Everything else is gravy.

Top Bottom