Chip: Greg Harbaugh Jr., Gophers play-caller, has shown us two extremes — and two W's

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

Harbaugh is the one tasked with calling plays, but game plans are a collaborative process. Fleck admitted this week that he "interjected probably more than I have ever" on the headset during the Eastern Michigan game.

Fleck said that wasn't a criticism or a knock against his new play-caller. He wasn't happy with the running game against Nebraska and was hellbent on fixing it. He wanted to run the ball endlessly to build confidence and a physical mentality.

"I had to do something as a head football coach to instill something in that moment and in that game," Fleck said.

Harbaugh agreed with his boss. He wanted to make a point with his play calls too.

Their premise made sense but only as an outlier. The offense's potential still revolves around Kaliakmanis' passing. Going back to the old way of being run-centric cannot be the recipe.

To that end, Harbaugh gave an interesting answer when asked to define the most challenging part of being a play-caller.

"Getting the quarterback into the flow of the game," he said.

Go Gophers!!

I’m still skeptical on him, need to see some creativity and balance. Today is as good as ever.
Just please someone tell him not to run the Jet Sweep if the offense is working. Was a total drive killer in the Nebraska game.

I’m still skeptical on him, need to see some creativity and balance. Today is as good as ever.
I think Fleck is too concerned about who the QB coach is and needs to be more concerned with who is calling the plays. The QB coach has to be the play caller per Fleck. Get a very good play caller and let them coachthevQB’s no mater if they played QB or coached QB’s. Most guys can figure out how to coach a position. Play calling is way more important. Harbaugh has proven to be a weak play caller thru 2 weeks. Will he grow and get better? I’d take Simon based on the Auburn game over what I’ve seen of Harbaugh.

I think Fleck has his thumb on the offense.

KC was able to tell him to piss off, because he's older than Fleck and was an OC at Rutgers when Fleck was still coming up as an assistant coach.

Sanford, and now GHj ... not so much.

Jesus. Experts with no expertise. Love listening to people who have no clue what an OC and play caller do. You should watch football sometime.

Jesus. Experts with no expertise. Love listening to people who have no clue what an OC and play caller do. You should watch football sometime.

Yep, every offensive coordinator is great. None ever get replaced because of performance.

Top Bottom