Check out some of the guys who interviewed for this job

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
Bo Pelini - now at Nebraska and kicking arse
Charlie Strong - first year at Louisville, recruiting well, and turning the program around after the AD quickly acknowledged his mistake with Kragthorpe.
Lane Kiffin - better than Brew

While I'm not sure how Brew was offered the job over these guys, I think it at lest shows that good coaches are interested in this job.

Bo Pelini - now at Nebraska and kicking arse
Charlie Strong - first year at Louisville, recruiting well, and turning the program around after the AD quickly acknowledged his mistake with Kragthorpe.
Lane Kiffin - better than Brew

While I'm not sure how Brew was offered the job over these guys, I think it at lest shows that good coaches are interested in this job.

Pelini -- I want $2MM -- Maturi -- Next
Charlie Strong -- I want $1.5MM -- Matruri -- Next
Lane Kiffin -- I want the shipping rights to the Mississippi River, the Governor's Mansion to live in, your daughter and a different virgin after every win, and I'll leave as soon as I feel like it -- Maturi -- what?
Brewster -- You'll Pay Me? -- Maturi -- You're hired.

And that's......the rest of the story.

Pelini -- I want $2MM -- Maturi -- Next
Charlie Strong -- I want $1.5MM -- Matruri -- Next
Lane Kiffin -- I want the shipping rights to the Mississippi River, the Governor's Mansion to live in, your daughter and a different virgin after every win, and I'll leave as soon as I feel like it -- Maturi -- what?
Brewster -- You'll Pay Me? -- Maturi -- You're hired.

And that's......the rest of the story.

Money was not the issue,all of those candidates were interested and would have taken the job.

I know we had the dome at the time, but the TCF was on the horizon and we were a mediocre program at worst with a coach with personality issues. Now we are a bad program that had a string of mediocre seasons.

What makes this a better job than it was 4 years ago? Who's to assume that we'll get the same caliber of interest. I'll say it was a much better job then, than now. Maybe we had a shot at a Harbaugh type hire 4 years ago if we didn't wait to fire Mason on Christmas. No chance at Harbaugh today or anyone in his league.

We could get a coach with potential, but he'll have some warts.

I disagree. There are only so many million dollar plus NCAA coaching jobs. And I think we look at the investment in the stadium, see the empty seats and the lost revenue from those, and correctly decide to pay someone $2 million plus. Remember, at one time we made Mason one of the highest paid coaches in the country.

Its hard to name one Gopher head FB coach since Warmath, except Holtz, who was regarded highly enough to go on and accomplish anything of note after he left the Gopher program. We simply have not had top notch coaching talent at Minnesota in the past five decades.

All of these coaches we passed on are just a shoulda, woulda, coulda type thing. We have Brewster, hopefully next coach is of a high caliber.

All of these coaches we passed on are just a shoulda, woulda, coulda type thing. We have Brewster, hopefully next coach is of a high caliber.

It does illustrate however that Maturi should not be making the next hire. He arrogantly thought he had a better football mind than all the oter coaches and AD's that wouldn't even give Brewster the time of day.

Is Kill available? He is obviously an upgrade to Brew so maybe we should get him from Northern Illinois

Top Bottom