Charley Walters: T. Denny Sanford looks to help U, but not with basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

The University of Minnesota has been cultivating multimillionaire alumnus T. Denny Sanford for some time to help finance upgrades in its athletics facilities.

For those wondering whether a gift from Sanford is forthcoming for a long-sought basketball practice facility, they probably can stop wondering.

"I'm not a big basketball guy," Sanford said Tuesday evening, March 26, from Scottsdale, Ariz., where he resides in the winter. "I think that's highly unlikely."

That's not to say, though, that the 1954 St. Paul Central and 1958 Minnesota graduate who made millions in the credit card business in South Dakota doesn't plan to contribute to university athletics elsewhere.

Sanford donated $6 million for the Minnesota Athletics Hall of Fame at TCF Bank Stadium in 2009. Six years before that, he offered the university $35 million to put his name on the football stadium but was rebuffed by school officials, who ended up making a deal with TCF Bank.

Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague and Sanford have played golf at Sanford's course in Arizona. Sanford is a Gophers football fan but said the university hasn't completed its overall facilities improvement plan yet, and he plans to wait until he sees the final plan.

"They feel they need a (football) practice facility for recruiting purposes," he said. "It's my alma mater and I'm darn proud of it, and I'll help out in some way, shape or form."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...w-minnesota-mr-basketball-picked-north-dakota

Go Gophers!!

Denny's a football guy, through and through. Nothing wrong with that. Basketball can find its own sugar daddy.

Denny's a football guy, through and through. Nothing wrong with that. Basketball can find its own sugar daddy.

+1. don't get me wrong, it would be great to have one giant sugar daddy....ala t. boone pickens or phil knight...that could just write one giant check for everything on campus. but in this case, i do love sanford's love of gopher football and his commitment to it. something tells me the basketball program has a donor lined up for the practice facility project and will be just fine too.

we are all one GOPHER sports family.

My point is that Denny can spend his money on what he wants. If he wants it to only go to football, that's 100% fine with me.

My point is that Denny can spend his money on what he wants. If he wants it to only go to football, that's 100% fine with me.

agreed. i might have been a bit unclear that i was seeing it from your perspective as well.

Football is king.

Yes, Football needs to be king...ESPECIALLY when there is a brand new almost 300 million dollar stadium to fill and pay for. However, we have NOT had a FOOTBALL MAN as an Athletic Director since Tom Moe. Our new norwood admits that he is not a football guy but states that he is a real fancy basketball guy...or at least he: fancies himself as a basketball guy.

How could prexy k have totally ignored the fact that a FOOTBALL MAN in the office of the A.D. needed to be a priority? Men's hoops always seems to be problematic. The new guy there is certainly pulling off some fancy basketball guy stuff right now...Will this administrative nightmare EVER end?

; 0 (

Teague will be OK, people forget that before he was AD at VCU, he was at Virginia, Arizona State, and North Carolina, all schools with BCS football programs. His being a Basketball guy has more to do with contacts should he need to replace Kill that's not happening for the foreseeable future.

Yes, Football needs to be king...ESPECIALLY when there is a brand new almost 300 million dollar stadium to fill and pay for. However, we have NOT had a FOOTBALL MAN as an Athletic Director since Tom Moe. Our new norwood admits that he is not a football guy but states that he is a real fancy basketball guy...or at least he: fancies himself as a basketball guy.

How could prexy k have totally ignored the fact that a FOOTBALL MAN in the office of the A.D. needed to be a priority? Men's hoops always seems to be problematic. The new guy there is certainly pulling off some fancy basketball guy stuff right now...Will this administrative nightmare EVER end?

; 0 (

Dude, relax. Part of the reason why Teague took the job here is because he thought the football program had potential.

You realize he turned down AD positions at UCONN and North Carolina, right? If he was such a big basketball guy, he would have taken a job there.

Teague is very intelligent. You think he's not studying and learning about what makes football successful? He can only do so much, as much is put on Kill.

Back on topic, I'm glad Mr. Sanford is donating to the U. We do need recruiting upgrades and if we get them, Kill and Pitino will make us relevant. I'm not saying we will be ranked and go to BCS bowls or be a high seed in the tournament, but regular bowl appearances every year will be so refreshing.

Teague is very intelligent. You think he's not studying and learning about what makes football successful? He can only do so much, as much is put on Kill.

Back on topic, I'm glad Mr. Sanford is donating to the U. We do need recruiting upgrades and if we get them, Kill and Pitino will make us relevant. I'm not saying we will be ranked and go to BCS bowls or be a high seed in the tournament, but regular bowl appearances every year will be so refreshing.

Is Sanford still going to donate? There is some talk that he is upset with the universities response to the proposed Fairview/Sanford acquisition. I guess Kill was supposed to go with Sanford as his guest to the Masters tournament this week and the trip for Kill has now been cancelled.

If there are two things we know about T. Denny, it is this: 1) He loves his University; and 2) He is very mercurial.

Let things cool off a little. He can still donate to the athletic program, and still stick it to those Regents that hate rich people.

Why? Because those same type of people hate college athletics. He can donate a billion to the football program and the board can try to figure out a different way buy office supplies for the Philosophy Department.

Huh?

If there are two things we know about T. Denny, it is this: 1) He loves his University; and 2) He is very mercurial.

Let things cool off a little. He can still donate to the athletic program, and still stick it to those Regents that hate rich people.

Why? Because those same type of people hate college athletics. He can donate a billion to the football program and the board can try to figure out a different way buy office supplies for the Philosophy Department.

I applaud the Regents for not rushing into a merger with the University Medical Center in the off chance that Sanford Health's namesake might throw a few bucks towards the athletic dept. These are two separate issues and they should remain that way. Let's maintain the U as a world class facility and cultivate the next generation of philanthropists to improve athletic facilities. The U as an educational institution always comes first not the athletics.

Is Sanford still going to donate? There is some talk that he is upset with the universities response to the proposed Fairview/Sanford acquisition. I guess Kill was supposed to go with Sanford as his guest to the Masters tournament this week and the trip for Kill has now been cancelled.

It woudl be a conflict of interest for Kill to take such a trip during the current "Sanford moratorium." I think the reaction to the Fairview/UMMC/Sanford thing has been way over the top by the AG and the newspaper editorialists in town. Fairview has not exactly been the bastion of dedication to the U. After all, when they acquired the U medical center in 1997 it was renamed Fairview University Medical center - with Fairview as top billing. Having worked there, this was somewhat confusing to people from outside the Twin Cities (the name alone doesn't even tell you that it is the U of M's medical center). Thankfully this was changed a few years ago. I don't know who was behind the Sanford talks, but my impression is that Fairview was somewhat in favor; not sure what the UMMC position is, but I have my ideas.

Huh? Huh???

I applaud the Regents for not rushing into a merger with the University Medical Center in the off chance that Sanford Health's namesake might throw a few bucks towards the athletic dept. These are two separate issues and they should remain that way. Let's maintain the U as a world class facility and cultivate the next generation of philanthropists to improve athletic facilities. The U as an educational institution always comes first not the athletics.

I understand these are two separate issues. That's what I meant. When the Medical Center comes begging for more and more tax dollars to function, everyone will shout about the need to "tax the rich". You had a "rich guy" that was going to throw a lot, a lot of money at this to make it work. A merger would save HUNDREDS of millions of dollars a year. But that's not what this was about. This is all about "class warfare," always has been.

Time get out of your bubble.

I hope he gives a ton to the AD. A ton. The rest of the U will look back at this moment as another in a long line of provincial, backward decisions. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet not.

Sanford wanted his name on TCF stadium...please...T. Denny Sanford Stadium...I'm glad they decided against that one! Must be nice to be that rich and say..."hey, here is a wad of cash name that thing after me".

I understand these are two separate issues. That's what I meant. When the Medical Center comes begging for more and more tax dollars to function, everyone will shout about the need to "tax the rich". You had a "rich guy" that was going to throw a lot, a lot of money at this to make it work. A merger would save HUNDREDS of millions of dollars a year. But that's not what this was about. This is all about "class warfare," always has been.

Time get out of your bubble.

I hope he gives a ton to the AD. A ton. The rest of the U will look back at this moment as another in a long line of provincial, backward decisions. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet not.

After reading this reply, I now understand that you are one of those people who like to point fingers and play the conspiracy game. I have found it useless having conversations with them.

How much is it worth to the University of Minnesota Medical School to have a teaching hospital with the University of Minnesota name so close to the Medical School? There are certain things we Minnesotan's need to fight to save and protect. Our Medical School is an incredible part of the University of Minnesota. Obviously, their association with Fairview has not worked out so well. New arrangements re: that arrangement will need to be worked out to stabilize the situation with the University of Minnesota Hospital.

Our Medical School and Teaching Hospital are more vital to the mission of the University of Minnesota and the economic future of the state of Minnesota than all programs in the athletic department. I am a long-time die-hard fan of Golden Gopher Football and some of the other sports. Yet, there is no way that our U of M sports programs have contributed anything near what the University of Minnesota and it's teaching hospital associated with the Medical School, and the Medical School itself have managed to provide the state in the past 75 years. It is not even close.

Never let some out of state corporate raiding machine come into this state and try to steal a part of our medical education system...NEVER...

; 0 )

Sanford wanted his name on TCF stadium...please...T. Denny Sanford Stadium...I'm glad they decided against that one! Must be nice to be that rich and say..."hey, here is a wad of cash name that thing after me".

I'd MUCH rather have "T. Denny Sanford Stadium" than "TCF Bank Stadium"
Whatever his other shortcomings may be, T Denny is a person who cares passionately about Gopher football. TCF Bank is a financial holding company looking to strengthen a regional brand by having its name cited in the media as many times as possible over the next 25 years. Also, it just sounds stupid. At least with T Denny, we could pretend it was named after a person of historical importance to the university (and, really, it sort of would be).

Then again, I personally really dislike the current name. To the point that I can barely bring myself to speak it out loud.

Whatever his other shortcomings may be, T Denny is a person who cares passionately about Gopher football. TCF Bank is a financial holding company looking to strengthen a regional brand by having its name cited in the media as many times as possible over the next 25 years. Also, it just sounds stupid. At least with T Denny, we could pretend it was named after a person of historical importance to the university (and, really, it sort of would be).

Then again, I personally really dislike the current name. To the point that I can barely bring myself to speak it out loud.

You seem bitter about a bank...What too many overdraft fees?

please have a bloody mary or 5...

Speaking from a financial gain point of view: the 25 year agreement with TCF BANK was far superior to the offer T-DEE tried to make. Once that stadium was named T-Dee-Sanford Stadium...there would NEVER be a sale of naming rights again. The beauty of a name sale to TCF BANK is that in 25 years time, the naming rights will be up for bid again. I am sure TCF BANK has the right of first refusal...but...one way or another, there will be a nice chunk of change coming to the Athletic Department for the sale of those naming rights. Who knows, MAYBE by then old "RedPoo" will be flush enough to put in a bid for naming rights and we can all hate the name "RedPoo Stadium. IF that happens, I think the lettering for the RedPoo part of the name should be placed in the BOWL END of the structure.

Personally I think TCF BANK STADIUM is a great name...a proud name...for our stadium...

; 0 )

Speaking from a financial gain point of view: the 25 year agreement with TCF BANK was far superior to the offer T-DEE tried to make. Once that stadium was named T-Dee-Sanford Stadium...there would NEVER be a sale of naming rights again. The beauty of a name sale to TCF BANK is that in 25 years time, the naming rights will be up for bid again. I am sure TCF BANK has the right of first refusal...but...one way or another, there will be a nice chunk of change coming to the Athletic Department for the sale of those naming rights. Who knows, MAYBE by then old "RedPoo" will be flush enough to put in a bid for naming rights and we can all hate the name "RedPoo Stadium. IF that happens, I think the lettering for the RedPoo part of the name should be placed in the BOWL END of the structure.

Personally I think TCF BANK STADIUM is a great name...a proud name...for our stadium...

; 0 )

I've actually had many a daydream where some wildly unexpected windfall allows me the funds to purchase naming rights for the stadium. But I would likely stay away from RedPoo Stadium in favor of something like Bierman, Northrup, or possibly New Memorial Stadium....obviously, it would be RedPoo Field at Northrup Stadium, though.

I'm just going to assume the great, proud name bit is sarcasm.

I've actually had many a daydream where some wildly unexpected windfall allows me the funds to purchase naming rights for the stadium. But I would likely stay away from RedPoo Stadium in favor of something like Bierman, Northrup, or possibly New Memorial Stadium....obviously, it would be RedPoo Field at Northrup Stadium, though.

I'm just going to assume the great, proud name bit is sarcasm.

No, the "...great, proud name.." is from the bottom of my heart and is as genuine as could possibly be. You see, I've been a fan for about 60 years and I still recall when the Gophers were evicted from MEMORIAL STADIUM and all the history and tradition of the BRICK HOUSE Days. (It wasn't all great because the administration at the U of M failed to keep the old stadium's infrastructure in good condition and just plain let it go to hell.) But it WAS the Campus Home of Golden Gopher Football. As the decades went by, I feared I would never live to see football return to campus. Through those WILDERNESS YEARS my hope faded and nearly went away. Then, a few things happened and when TCF BANK came up with the offer to purchase the naming rights for the stadium, there was NO STOPPING the miracle that was happening. The day TCF BANK signed that agreement: TCF BANK STADIUM was born. And, I am still in awe every time I come to a game in our beautiful on campus stadium or drive by the stadium and catch a glimpse of it standing there so proudly...anchoring that corner of the campus. It is the crown jewel of the East Bank Campus. What had gone missing HAS been returned...marking the presence of the U of M through rain, shine and all kinds of weather It is like the sentry that was missing from the campus for so long. Thank you TCF BANK.

Perhaps you never lost something that you REALLY wanted back RedPoo. Perhaps you were part of that Viking-propagandized generation that thought only professional franchise owners deserved new football stadiums. I don't know where you are coming from or what your resentments may be. I'm sorry, you are on your own with you stuff re: TCF BANK STADIUM.

I am forever grateful to TCF BANK for bringing the funds forward to get this stadium started...to help bring football back to campus. For me, what was lost has been found...and TCF BANK played a very large part in making the return to campus a possibility. So, in my book, TCF BANK STADIUM is the gread, proud name of the University of Minnesota Football Stadium. A part of the East Bank Campus came alive again with the miracle of the return of Game Day Saturday Football.

You must have your reasons for hating on my miracle...but...I have no sympathy for you and I have deep gratitude to TCF BANK for making this miracle possible!

; 0 )

To tack a "new" in front of Memorial Stadium would NOT be right. There was only one MEMORIAL STADIUM and since it no longer stands, there will NEVER be another MEMORIAL STADIUM on the East Bank of the University of Minnesota Campus. You just don't do things like that. Honor the memory of the BRICK HOUSE.

No, the "...great, proud name.." is from the bottom of my heart and is as genuine as could possibly be. You see, I've been a fan for about 60 years and I still recall when the Gophers were evicted from MEMORIAL STADIUM and all the history and tradition of the BRICK HOUSE Days. (It wasn't all great because the administration at the U of M failed to keep the old stadium's infrastructure in good condition and just plain let it go to hell.) But it WAS the Campus Home of Golden Gopher Football. As the decades went by, I feared I would never live to see football return to campus. Through those WILDERNESS YEARS my hope faded and nearly went away. Then, a few things happened and when TCF BANK came up with the offer to purchase the naming rights for the stadium, there was NO STOPPING the miracle that was happening. The day TCF BANK signed that agreement: TCF BANK STADIUM was born. And, I am still in awe every time I come to a game in our beautiful on campus stadium or drive by the stadium and catch a glimpse of it standing there so proudly...anchoring that corner of the campus. It is the crown jewel of the East Bank Campus. What had gone missing HAS been returned...marking the presence of the U of M through rain, shine and all kinds of weather It is like the sentry that was missing from the campus for so long. Thank you TCF BANK.

Perhaps you never lost something that you REALLY wanted back RedPoo. Perhaps you were part of that Viking-propagandized generation that thought only professional franchise owners deserved new football stadiums. I don't know where you are coming from or what your resentments may be. I'm sorry, you are on your own with you stuff re: TCF BANK STADIUM.

I am forever grateful to TCF BANK for bringing the funds forward to get this stadium started...to help bring football back to campus. For me, what was lost has been found...and TCF BANK played a very large part in making the return to campus a possibility. So, in my book, TCF BANK STADIUM is the gread, proud name of the University of Minnesota Football Stadium. A part of the East Bank Campus came alive again with the miracle of the return of Game Day Saturday Football.

You must have your reasons for hating on my miracle...but...I have no sympathy for you and I have deep gratitude to TCF BANK for making this miracle possible!

; 0 )

To tack a "new" in front of Memorial Stadium would NOT be right. There was only one MEMORIAL STADIUM and since it no longer stands, there will NEVER be another MEMORIAL STADIUM on the East Bank of the University of Minnesota Campus. You just don't do things like that. Honor the memory of the BRICK HOUSE.

...you had me going for a while, but the "miracle" bit is laying it on a little thick, don't you think?

...you had me going for a while, but the "miracle" bit is laying it on a little thick, don't you think?
When you think about it, just take a look at many of the seasons between 1970 and the time the TCF BANK Stadium was built. All of the media in town used to make jokes about the chance that the Gophers EVER had of moving back to the campus in their own stadium was between slim and none. When Coach Mason first started bringing up the subject prexy y used to chastise him. The same was true when prexy b first took over. With the pohlads demanding a ball park for the twins...even to the point of threatening to contract the twins out of existence...St. Paul building the XCEL for the wild and the vikqueen DEMANDING a new stadium...the entire news media scene in the twin cities thought it was a joke that the Gophers would ever get a stadium.

With the vikqueen and the twinkers both putting a full court press on the legislators they found themselves lacking moral high ground to finance both of the pro teams...especially when there was more and more noise coming from the University. Ironically, it ended up being the Gophers Stadium that got the go ahead first and then they took care of the twins. They told the vikqueen that they would have to be on hold, since the vikqueen had a signed agreement to play in the dome the longest.

So, what started out being the longest odds against getting a stadium the U of M became the first to get a stadium deal. In my opinion, by taking care of the U, an organization that had NOT promised to leave town or fold the franchise, it gave the legislators an opportunity to help build a ball park for the twins. That, in turn opened the door for them to eventually ok a stadium for the vikqueen.

I don't know about you RedPoo, but, to me it WAS a miracle that the Gophers not only got an on campus stadium...but that they were approved BEFORE one of the professional franchises. I don't think you quite grasp the odds against that happening in the professional sports crowded and dominated Twin Cities Metro Area.

The Gophers had played in the damn dome for 28 seasons in the shadow of both the vikqueen and the twins. To this very day I am still TOTALLY AMAZED that the Gophers are back on campus. I'll admit it: it was a dream I had given up on. In my mind, it was the least likely of virtually ALL sports moves probably in the history of sports in Minnesota...at least since the 1961 and 1962 Rose Bowl trips...the National Championship and the arrival of the twins and vikqueen in 1961 when the Twin Cities went from being a Gopher Football Town and becoming a professional sports market and eventually a twins and vikqueen town.

So, RedPoo, to me it still IS a miracle. Like the Wall in Berlin coming down...the U of M returning to campus WAS and still IS a huge deal to an old fan such as myself... The biggest U of M sports moment since that 1960-1961 almost last hurrah for Gopher Football. For the Twin Cities, in 1960, the Lakers bagged for LA and in 1961, the twins arrived as did the vikqueen. Now THAT was the best of times and the worst of times for my Golden Gopher Football Program...

; 0 )

Top Bottom