Charley Walters: Gophers football games weren't marred by alcohol sales

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"It was the quietest season so far," University of Minnesota police chief Greg Hestness said after Michigan State's 26-10 victory over the Gophers, referring to alcohol-related instances at games.

The university will continue to monitor beer and wine sales at TCF Stadium for another season before deciding whether to make the policy permanent.

"I'm not saying (alcohol) was necessarily a cause and effect, but it was a very quiet year," Hestness said. "I read an article from Madison (Wis.) last week (that) it was typical that they had like 75 ejections and detentions (during a Badgers football game). The most we ever had was 45. I think that was against Wisconsin and not this year."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22067596/shooter-now-gophers-football-games-werent-marred-by

Go Gophers!!

"It was the quietest season so far," University of Minnesota police chief Greg Hestness said after Michigan State's 26-10 victory over the Gophers, referring to alcohol-related instances at games.

The university will continue to monitor beer and wine sales at TCF Stadium for another season before deciding whether to make the policy permanent.

"I'm not saying (alcohol) was necessarily a cause and effect, but it was a very quiet year," Hestness said. "I read an article from Madison (Wis.) last week (that) it was typical that they had like 75 ejections and detentions (during a Badgers football game). The most we ever had was 45. I think that was against Wisconsin and not this year."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22067596/shooter-now-gophers-football-games-werent-marred-by

Go Gophers!!

There; that's better.:)

What is amazing is that there were only 75. I mean, how the hell do you tell the difference between a drunk badger fan and a sober badger fan when there are no sober ones. It is a case of being more drunk or less drunk. Tough job for UW Madison Police.

Fewer incidents than previous years + $150,000 per game of additional revenue = Make this policy permanent

Least amount of incidents because no Wis or Iowa at home?

Fewer incidents than previous years + $150,000 per game of additional revenue = Make this policy permanent

And don't make me walk to the opposite end zone to buy it. Honestly, I would have bought a beer every game if it was readily available. The potential to make more money is there.

Least amount of incidents because no Wis or Iowa at home?

If that's the case, then it proves that rivalries generate rough housing at athletic events. Not alcohol.

Charley Walters: Gophers football games weren't marred by alcohol sales

Dr. Don: My undergarments were marred beyond recognition by alcohol sales

And don't make me walk to the opposite end zone to buy it. Honestly, I would have bought a beer every game if it was readily available. The potential to make more money is there.

If that's the case, then it proves that rivalries generate rough housing at athletic events. Not alcohol.

Or that Iowa and Wisconsin fans are drunks.

How can this be news? Was there ever a surprise factor here considering alcohol was served at Gopher Games at the Metrodome for 25 years prior to the move to the new stadium? What would people expect to be different? Who is going to get drunk on TCF Bank Stadium beer when you have to walk all the way to the west end zone to buy it?

For the record, I bought one beer at the stadium this year and I was NOT involved in an alcohol related incident. In fact, I wasn't involved in any incicents at all unless you consider the look on my wife's face after I swore when Michigan threw that long TD pass after running around in the backfield.

And in related news, "the sky is blue and the sun rises in the East".

Seriously, how is this a surprise to anyone? The crowds at college football games are not an entirely different animal from those going to NBA, NHL, MLB or NFL games. People don't go TCF and say, "Wow, beer for sale. How unusual."

Go Gophers!!

Not to be Negative Nancy, I don't know if that is as good as it sounds. Being they get an average of 80,000 in the stadium for games and we get around 40,000 I'd say that we have about the same percentage of ejections and detentions. Either way, I never bought a beer at the stadium, but also never noticed it to be a problem around my seats (section 105).

Hear, hear! Attention Powers That Be - I was personally deterred from running to spend money on beers multiple times due to the time it would take and the gametime I would miss. Put some stands closer to me, and you will get more of my cash, more frequently.

Keeping beer on the opposite end from the students is a meaningless gesture. Students under 21 who wanna drink at the games can and do find a way. Just do your due dilegence and card everybody. Set up some more stands around the stadium for 2013!

please forward this to fargodome, there's 20,000 tailgating and getting drunk as hell, but zero beer inside, ridiculous.

Top Bottom