Charley Walters: Bobby Bell says Gophers football is getting it right

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

The University of Minnesota has played in just two Rose Bowls, in 1961 and ’62.

That’s 57 years ago.

“It’s the recruiting,” Bobby Bell said last week. “And you’ve got to win the Big Ten to go.”

Bell played in both of those January games in Pasadena, Calif. If the Gophers (8-0) beat Penn State (8-0) on Saturday in Minneapolis, there’s a chance they could finally find their way back to the Rose Bowl.

“I’m surprised they haven’t gone back — I thought they were going back a couple of times,” Bell said from Kansas City, Mo., where he lives. “Like I said, it’s the recruiting. And the fans and university and stuff have to be behind them.”

Now, finally, Bell said, Minnesota has “got it. They redid the athletic department.”

Minnesota has committed $166 million for its Athletes Village.

“Hey, I’ll tell you what, if that would have happened when I was there, man, I wouldn’t even leave the school,” Bell, 79, said. “That’s what brings the players. You recruit, you have to have something to show them. When they walk in that building, they’ve got to be ‘wow!’

“And now you’ve got the (Twin Cities) corporate people, the Fortune 500 people. They’ve got to get involved and say, ‘Hey, guys, you go to school here, you get your degree here, and bam!’

“I’ve been up there three or four times — when you look out that fourth-floor window (of the Athletes Village) and see all those high buildings of Fortune 500s, they (recruiters) need to go up there for the (players) senior years and say, ‘Hey, man, this is what we’d like to offer you — you have opportunities.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/11/...ll-says-gophers-football-is-getting-it-right/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom