Chanhassen Villager article on Derrick Engel: A chance at realizing his dreams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Chanhassen Villager:

"It was definitely great playing at Winona. I made a lot of good friends, so it was tough, but you can't beat playing in the Big Ten. I had the opportunity to live my dream of playing Division I football. I've made some great friends here, too. It's been a great opportunity," Engel said.

Engel worked his way up the depth charts in spring practices and in summer practices before the start of the 2012 season, making his Gophers debut against UNLV with a catch for 33 yards. He recorded his first touchdown against Purdue before having a breakout performance against Texas Tech in the Texas Bowl with four receptions for 108 yards last December.

"(My junior year) was more about proving myself. I wasn't a starter, more of a third-down guy or third or fourth receiver. I wanted to prove what I was capable of doing. As the coaches became more confident in what I could do, I got my chance. I knew coming into this season the coaches had my back. I got off to a slow start in the first game, but eventually I got back into my groove," Engel said.

http://www.chanvillager.com/scorebo...cle_4195c8d5-b9e8-5bed-aaa3-3ebd2513681c.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom