cfn/scout has us last any dissagreement?

march madness

Reaction score
I knew this could be a tough year. Lots of Defensive losses. A returning offense that was downright horrible at times. Top it off with a really tough schedule. Is an insight bowl even within reach? I think they ranked us last in recruiting too. Any thoughts?

I knew this could be a tough year. Lots of Defensive losses. A returning offense that was downright horrible at times. Top it off with a really tough schedule. Is an insight bowl even within reach? I think they ranked us last in recruiting too. Any thoughts?

It could be a tough year, but it might not be. Yes, we lose starters on defense. That doesn't mean the defense will be bad, it means it will be a question mark. Could be better or worse, they would have to do research to find out.

And yes, the offense was bad. But it's at least a known quantity, it can't be much worse. With an OC tailoring the offense to the abilities of the players rather than to what he wanted to do, I think it is safe to say the offense will be improved, the question is by how much.

And I agree that the schedule is tough. I do think that a bowl game is within reach, I don't expect the Gophers to be great this year, but do think that they may be somewhat underrated.

The preseason picks don't win or lose any games for us. I'm looking forward to the season, we could wait until we actually lose the games before we get too upset about the losses.

From the outside looking in it's tough to argue. I think they'll be wrong.

I just don't buy the whole doom and gloom prediction for this season.
Our offense cannot go anywhere but up, and I think there's a distinct possibility that we finally see the 08 class emerge as the leaders and playmakers of this team. Gray, Stoudemire, Mcknight, Green, and even Eskridge should be physically and mentally developed enough to compete in the Big Ten and show off their skill sets. Add in an Oline that again cannot get anything but better, and a O coordinator with solid experience, we should be able to score a few points every game.

On D it's even better, the young speedy players Brewster's been acquiring are going to impress. The only concern may be can they gel early and stay healthy against a bruising schedule. i predict amazing plays and some breakdowns. We will see breakout years from a handful of guys, heck we already saw flashes from Kirksey, Wilhite, Edwards, Cooper, Tinsley, and Carter, if they consistently put up production like they did in their backup roles, the D will be impressive and young.
We finally get to see Hageman, Garin, and Watkins in action. All 3 are physically gifted and should be exciting to watch develop.

All of this even before the freshmen are mixed in, the RB's, Hill, Ferguson, the young CB's all have a chance to contribute and fill in depth roles if need be. Otherwise we can redshirt them and come back even stronger in 2011. This season will be way up and way down, but it's not going to be a frickin slaughter like most predict. We'll be fine, probably a bit dissapointed at times, but also there's more of a chance for exciting home wins and breakout players this year than any year since Brewster's been here. There will be plenty to cheer for and celebrate, don't let some national magazine writer get your dobber down, honestly try to remember some of the past national publication preseason articles, I'm pretty sure before 08 half the depth chart was wrong in multiple publications, and most predicted a 3-4 win season, doom and gloom, blah blah. Then we rolled a cupcake schedule and won 7 games. These national writers really don't know jack about Gopher football.

Gray...should be physically and mentally developed enough to compete in the Big Ten and show off (his) skill sets.

The rest of your post is spot on.

As for this, however, it's just too bad that Gray will be spectating with the rest of us while Weber overthrows fly patterns by 15 yards and bounces 5-yard out routes at the receiver's feet.

Everyone has the Gophers last. People keep pointing to the defense losing 9 "starters", but they just don't get it. There is plenty of experience. It's not like Wilhite, Edwards and Kirksey haven't played a down, they've all played extensively. Same goes for Cooper and Tinsely (if he's available). Carter is better right now than Traye was, and guess what, he got a lot of experience last year too. The defense won't be the problem. Maybe I'm a homer, but I fail to see a giant difference between MSU (who is usually picked to finish 5 or 6) and the Gophers.

We won't be last, Illinois is not looking good and neither is Indiana. We might finish 8th, but not last.

Reviewers usually put maximal research into the teams which are usually expected to finish at the top of the conference, and minimal research into teams that are usually expected to finish at the bottom of the conference. So when there are a lot of starters lost, they will do some research for the top teams, but for us, they just assume that the unknowns will be negative.

I'm not going to assume that all the unknowns are going to be positives, but I'm not going to assume that the unknowns are going to be negatives either. I expect the offense will be better (it would be hard not to!) and the defense much the same. I don't think anyone is expecting the Gophers to be great, just not as terrible as people seem to be predicting.

I think the thing to remember is that we are not returning many starters on D, but the ones who will be starting this year for the first time are more athletic. Carter is an upgrade, Coop should be an upgrade, Kirksey was good last year, Edwards will draw double teams, and Tinsley looked good when he saw action. The biggest unknowns for our D are the DEs.

The offense loses Decker and NTA, but everyone else is returning. The OL looked better last year deeper into the season. Hopefully year 2 in the system, with a simplified scheme, will produce better results.

I wouldn't be shocked if we finished last. I wouldn't be shocked if we made a bowl. I would probably poop myself if we did any better than 5th in the conference, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

We've basically been playing at our (recent) historic level the last few years. This year there's a lot of turnover and a tough schedule, and it could definitely get ugly. It's just a shame Brewster might not be around the year when the team SHOULD be coming in to it's own.

I wouldn't be shocked if we finished last. I wouldn't be shocked if we made a bowl. I would probably poop myself if we did any better than 5th in the conference, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

We've basically been playing at our (recent) historic level the last few years. This year there's a lot of turnover and a tough schedule, and it could definitely get ugly. It's just a shame Brewster might not be around the year when the team SHOULD be coming in to it's own.

I agree, that would be unfortunate. I think 2011 will be special for this defense. I think the tackles and D ends will very good. The LB's will also be very good. Will it be Tinsley, Beal, Rallis or Cooper. Dbacks will be ok even with the loss of Theret and Royston. Watkins will be solid. I think C Lewis or Henderson will be an upgrade at corner to go along with Carter. Lewis will be bigger and more experienced. Henderson is going to be better, too. He played offense on the scout team last year and only started learning the Defense this Spring. Who knows how good Vareen or Bouie will be.

If 7 or 8 wins equals last then I guess we will be last but if it does not then we won't be last. We are not going 2-10

I think we could be better than last year, but I think the schedule is even tougher so it may not look better in wins and losses.

We won't be last, Illinois is not looking good and neither is Indiana. We might finish 8th, but not last.

Bit off the topic, but how did Northwestern all of a sudden pass us from the depths of the Big Ten? They had a good year, and they have a great coach. But they lost Kafka, and I just don't see how they have made their way past the likes of the Gophers, as far as rankings go. I could see them being at the bottom, below us when its all said and done.

Bit off the topic, but how did Northwestern all of a sudden pass us from the depths of the Big Ten? They had a good year, and they have a great coach. But they lost Kafka, and I just don't see how they have made their way past the likes of the Gophers, as far as rankings go. I could see them being at the bottom, below us when its all said and done.

Northwestern passed us a long time ago. They have won or tied for three conference championships since 1995. We're not far behind them as a program right now, but it's difficult to deny that we're behind.

Recent conference records:

2009 - NU 5-3, UM 3-5
2008 - NU 5-3, UM 3-5
2007 - NU 3-5, UM 0-8
2006 - UM 3-5, NU 2-6
2005 - NU 5-3, UM 4-4
2004 - NU 5-3, UM 3-5
2003 - UM 5-3, NU 4-4

Carter and Watkins are Special!

You may want to invest in some adult diapers this season. As long as we stay reasonably healthy, the Gophers will likely be the surprize team in '10. The young players are very skilled, so much so that their inexperience will be smothered by the higher level of play. The main ingredient for our success will be SPEED. My only worry is our lack of size at the LB position, however they too bring an extra level of speed than what we have seen. While I would like to see us get some luck and get Royston back early to provide the defensive leadership that can make the unit outstanding, we will likely get a surge any time he returns healthy. While Carter is quite physical and has elite coverage skills at corner, Watkins introduces an element at the Safety position we have been missing (size, speed and CB-like coverage skills). He is 6' 200 lbs., is very fast and a strong tackler. Know wonder Coach Brewster never stopped smiling when the JUCOs got sent home. Moreover, Lewis brings great versatility and a natural nose for the football to the secondary as well. SO, the key will be getting solid production out of the DEs and getting pressure on opposing QBs. If we just get a fair amount of pressure, the back 7 will be GOOD. Last Place? NOT HAPPENING!

You may want to invest in some adult diapers this season. As long as we stay reasonably healthy, the Gophers will likely be the surprize team in '10. The young players are very skilled, so much so that their inexperience will be smothered by the higher level of play. The main ingredient for our success will be SPEED. My only worry is our lack of size at the LB position, however they too bring an extra level of speed than what we have seen. While I would like to see us get some luck and get Royston back early to provide the defensive leadership that can make the unit outstanding, we will likely get a surge any time he returns healthy. While Carter is quite physical and has elite coverage skills at corner, Watkins introduces an element at the Safety position we have been missing (size, speed and CB-like coverage skills). He is 6' 200 lbs., is very fast and a strong tackler. Know wonder Coach Brewster never stopped smiling when the JUCOs got sent home. Moreover, Lewis brings great versatility and a natural nose for the football to the secondary as well. SO, the key will be getting solid production out of the DEs and getting pressure on opposing QBs. If we just get a fair amount of pressure, the back 7 will be GOOD. Last Place? NOT HAPPENING!

Agreed, this D will be better than we have seen in decades.

Top Bottom