CBS: SEC, Big Ten developing plan to share revenue with players in potential landmark change to college athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Dodd:

The SEC and Big Ten are at the center of developing a revenue sharing plan with players that would redefine college athletics for the future, CBS Sports has learned.

The still unrefined proposal -- currently utilizing the name "Modern Model" -- would not only share revenue with players but also perhaps help settle the House v. NCAA lawsuit that goes to trial in January 2025. The antitrust lawsuit is a class-action complaint alleging the NCAA and power conferences have conspired to suppress athletes' compensation.

The lawsuit continues to be the top hurdle for programs in planning college athletics' future. Settlement money alone could cost universities between $15 million and $20 million. Athletic directors have been frustrated trying to figure out how to rearrange their budgets or otherwise account for a payment of that size.

ESPN reported Monday night that the Power Four conferences are in "deep discussions" regarding a revenue sharing plan. It is not clear where that revenue would come from or how it would be distributed.

Sources told CBS Sports the revenue-sharing idea emerged from ongoing talks between Power Four administrators. In February, the SEC and Big Ten announced a joint advisory group to address the future of college athletics.

House plaintiffs attorney Jeffrey Kessler had no comment when reached, neither about the plan nor the prospect of settling the lawsuit.

"It's something that [schools] hope they can take to Kessler and say, 'Here's something that we propose as the future model. Will you take this to settle as the future part of your case?'" explained a source familiar with the talks.

Go Gophers!!

Per Dodd:

The SEC and Big Ten are at the center of developing a revenue sharing plan with players that would redefine college athletics for the future, CBS Sports has learned.

The still unrefined proposal -- currently utilizing the name "Modern Model" -- would not only share revenue with players but also perhaps help settle the House v. NCAA lawsuit that goes to trial in January 2025. The antitrust lawsuit is a class-action complaint alleging the NCAA and power conferences have conspired to suppress athletes' compensation.

The lawsuit continues to be the top hurdle for programs in planning college athletics' future. Settlement money alone could cost universities between $15 million and $20 million. Athletic directors have been frustrated trying to figure out how to rearrange their budgets or otherwise account for a payment of that size.

ESPN reported Monday night that the Power Four conferences are in "deep discussions" regarding a revenue sharing plan. It is not clear where that revenue would come from or how it would be distributed.

Sources told CBS Sports the revenue-sharing idea emerged from ongoing talks between Power Four administrators. In February, the SEC and Big Ten announced a joint advisory group to address the future of college athletics.

House plaintiffs attorney Jeffrey Kessler had no comment when reached, neither about the plan nor the prospect of settling the lawsuit.

"It's something that [schools] hope they can take to Kessler and say, 'Here's something that we propose as the future model. Will you take this to settle as the future part of your case?'" explained a source familiar with the talks.

Go Gophers!!
If that happened, would NIL still have to be allowed?

You'll have to ask John Roberts and friends. I imagine so, but it would be less of a factor.

I like Ant.

But it's not competitive basketball.

In a 4-game sweep against 3 $100M players (who might want to try to earn that money)...there wasn't even a single hard foul. I didn't see anyone hit the deck even once. If they really cared about winning...they'd have a couple goons to dish out punishment and try to get the other team's best players rattled and ejected.

What's 'college' basketball going to be like if everyone is getting a million dollars??

Yes. I can't envision a scenario where you wouldn't be allowed where you wouldn't be allowed to capitalize on your name/image/likeness.

The interesting thing is how this will be spread amongst the non-revenue generating sports.

There needs to be a lawsuit challenging the players 'student' status. They should NOT be allowed to wear the school logos or claim association with the schools.

Students being paid millions by their school is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Top Bottom