CBS: One question each BT team must answer during spring practices ahead of 2022 season (How quickly can the Gophers overhaul the trenches?)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Minnesota

How quickly can the Gophers overhaul the trenches? There will be a lot of unfamiliar faces in practice this spring, as the Gophers need to replace four starters on the offensive line and three starters on the defensive line. That includes NFL prospects Daniel Fa'alele and Blaise Andries on the offensive line and the team's two most productive pass-rushers in Boye Mafe and Thomas Rush (they combined for 12.5 of Minnesota's 25 sacks). P.J. Fleck has been active in the transfer portal to find players capable of stepping in and producing immediately to avoid a drop-off in performance.

The Gophers added players like Chuck Filiaga from Michigan and Quinn Carroll from Notre Dame on the offensive side. Defensively, they pulled graduate transfers Darnell Jefferies from Clemson and Lorenza Surgers from Vanderbilt. This spring will be a critical time to get everybody acquainted and prepare for the season because if your lines aren't playing well, your team isn't playing well.

Go Gophers!!

call it a hunch, but I am less worried about the D-Line. I just trust Rossi to put something together, and the D-line rotates personnel a lot more.

The O-line has me more concerned because of the need for O-linemen to play together to become a cohesive unit.

That, IMHO, makes the non-conference games very important this season. the O-line has to have things figured out in time for the conference schedule.

per CBS:

Minnesota

How quickly can the Gophers overhaul the trenches? There will be a lot of unfamiliar faces in practice this spring, as the Gophers need to replace four starters on the offensive line and three starters on the defensive line. That includes NFL prospects Daniel Fa'alele and Blaise Andries on the offensive line and the team's two most productive pass-rushers in Boye Mafe and Thomas Rush (they combined for 12.5 of Minnesota's 25 sacks). P.J. Fleck has been active in the transfer portal to find players capable of stepping in and producing immediately to avoid a drop-off in performance.

The Gophers added players like Chuck Filiaga from Michigan and Quinn Carroll from Notre Dame on the offensive side. Defensively, they pulled graduate transfers Darnell Jefferies from Clemson and Lorenza Surgers from Vanderbilt. This spring will be a critical time to get everybody acquainted and prepare for the season because if your lines aren't playing well, your team isn't playing well.

Go Gophers!!
Is he confusing Rush with Otomwo (sp?)????

call it a hunch, but I am less worried about the D-Line. I just trust Rossi to put something together, and the D-line rotates personnel a lot more.

The O-line has me more concerned because of the need for O-linemen to play together to become a cohesive unit.

That, IMHO, makes the non-conference games very important this season. the O-line has to have things figured out in time for the conference schedule.
Losing Fa'alele, Andries, Schlueter, and Ko Kieth is huge. Those are big shoes to fill.

They rotated in quite a few players on both lines last year. I really am not that concerned. There are always players every year who step up and step right in successfully.

Losing Fa'alele, Andries, Schlueter, and Ko Kieth is huge. Those are big shoes to fill.
There are always big shoes to fill every year in college football.

I agree with most of this which is why if the gophers stay healthy we might have better o line play next year as a unit. Playing 7 and 8 o linemen is great but I would rather play 5 (though I’d rather have 7-8)

Top Bottom