CBS Mock Draft currently has 4 MN preps taken in first round (#28 Daniel Oturu)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

#16. Matthew Hurt
#21. Zeke Nnaji
#23. Tre Jones
#28. Daniel Oturu

Oturu has been one of college basketball's most productive players this season — averaging 19.7 points and 11.3 rebounds while shooting 58.8% from the field through 20 games. His Player Efficiency Rating ranks ninth nationally. He's a good enough athlete, and skilled enough big, to make an impact in the NBA on both ends of the court.

Go Gophers!!

Funny Kofi Cockburn is older than Daniel Oturu for any Kofi lovers but a grade behind.

Kofi go to Minnehaha for middle school?

Anyone having Hurt and Jones ahead of Oturu is smoking crack.

Hurt is the best shooter of the four, and Jones is best facilitator and defender. This is just one mock, nba draftnet has Oturu ahead of them.

Funny Kofi Cockburn is older than Daniel Oturu for any Kofi lovers but a grade behind.

Kofi go to Minnehaha for middle school?

No Kofi on this list. Surprises me. He's huge. Maybe not enough outside game for the NBA. As a B1G fan, I'd like to see him out of Champagne as quickly as possible.

Hurt is the best shooter of the four, and Jones is best facilitator and defender. This is just one mock, nba draftnet has Oturu ahead of them.
Hurt: 11 pts 4 reb / game on 50% shooting.
Oturu: 20 pts 11 reb / game on 60% shooting.
Tre Jones: Worse than his brother who is currently a fringe NBA bench player.

You tell me who you're drafting first.

Why would you draft Oturu at all? What skills does he have that the modern NBA covets?

Just understanding the order of this mock. Hurt is the best 3pt shooter. Oturu's fg% is higher from close range shots in the paint. I'm not totally sold on drafting Oturu first, the next Gorgui Dieng. I'd take Zeke first of those four

Last edited:

Why would you draft Oturu at all? What skills does he have that the modern NBA covets?
Let's see... off the top of my head:
Athletic
Quick for his size
Lengthy defender
Has shown promise in developing his perimeter shooting
Good footwork
Can stretch opposing bigs with the midrange J.

Now I'm no NBA scout but that sounds more appealing than the other two candidates you like so much.

Let's see... off the top of my head:
Athletic
Quick for his size
Lengthy defender
Has shown promise in developing his perimeter shooting
Good footwork
Can stretch opposing bigs with the midrange J.

Now I'm no NBA scout but that sounds more appealing than the other two candidates you like so much.
Midrange J is currently on the endagered species list.

I've seen Tyrell Terry on some draft boards as well. Mostly 2nd round but I'm surprised he's even considered with his size. Doing extremely well at Stanford.

I've seen Tyrell Terry on some draft boards as well. Mostly 2nd round but I'm surprised he's even considered with his size. Doing extremely well at Stanford.
That young man can do the dream collegiate double. Start 4 years at a power 5 school and graduate from Stanford. Then still make the NBA.

I see Oturu becoming more like Serge Ibaka than Gorgi. I like Gorgi but he plays a bit robotic lacking some flexibility and athleticism opo of Oturu

Its definitely working for garza

Garza is not listed on that mock draft or on the NBAdraft.net mock draft. I haven't really looked much at the others. There's a huge difference between staying in school when you're not listed on the mock draft boards and staying in school when you're listed as a first rounder (and as high as 8th on one of the leading ones).

If Daniel can get drafted around the middle of the first round, he's looking at somewhere between $7 and $9 million of likely (although not assured) guaranteed money over the first 3 years of his career. If he really could get drafted around 8th, he's looking at between $12 and $13 million over that period. Even if he were drafted as low as 28th, he's still probably looking at somewhere between $5 and $6 million over that period.

Likely he would improve more by playing (or even practicing) against older and much better players in the NBA or even by doing stints in the G League. I know some people around here think that playing for the Gophers is the greatest experience a young man could ever have in his life and he should extend that for as long as possible, but, c'mon, let's be real.

Reports of its demise are greatly exaggerated. Ben Simmons has taken 5 three point shots out of 553 so far this season and he's not even a post player. About 36% of his shots are taken between 3 and 16 feet. Now, Oturu is no Ben Simmons but I'd say he's a better overall shooter than Simmons (a #1 pick) was coming out of college.

Garza nowhere on draft boards is surprising considering his offensive game but i guess i must not be following the league as closely as i used to

Ben Simmons is an extremely rare case in the NBA and is not a comparable player to Oturu anyways

Yes, I realize he is not comparable - in fact I stated that. But he plays a position where the ability to hit the 3 point shot with some regularity would be more expected. If they think you can play in the league, they'll find a role for you. I also think Oturu at this stage of his career is a fair enough outside shooting big man.

The midrange shot is not dead in the NBA; often, it's the only one you have. Although he ended his career four years ago, Elton Brand made a very good living for a long time with the mid-range shot as his primary weapon.

Chris Paul is currently making 40 million a year off his midrange shot :unsure:. Out of all the traits I listed that make Oturu appealing to NBA scouts you're really going to attack his midrange game as the reason he doesn't get drafted high? You're nuts.

Lol @ Hurt going anywhere near that high. 2nd rounder at best

Top Bottom