CBS lists Brewster as one of 5 HCs on its "warm seat - feeling the pressure" list

I'm a little surprised that Richt is receiving heat, given his record. Price at UTEP has also done OK IMHO, but may be on the way out too.

Pretty fair scoring. If you compare Brewster to Dickrod: 5 or 6 wins, Brewster probably saves his job, especially with a lame duck AD.

OTOH, If Dickrod doesn't get michigan to a major bowl game AND defeat at least two of his major rivals (MSU/nd/tOSU) he's probably gone, especially after getting slapped with infractions. Brewster could help his job security immensely by beating either Iowa or Wisky. You go 0-8 vs tOSU and MSU in Ann Arbor, you're history. Not sure where that bar is set with our AD. IMHO Maturi just wants to limp along with Brewster through his retirement party sometime next year, and let his replacement deal with it. That way Maturi doesn't have to admit he screwed up by firing TB.

Wasn't brent enema of the BADgers on the hot seat last year and now he is considered safe? Amazing how one year makes a difference despite barely beating teams in a terrible non conference schedule.

No doubt Brew is feeling pressure, but just how much pressure is debatable. I think the advances in the classroom are going to save his butt for at least one more year unless the team absolutely implodes. The definition of and absolute implosion is more than just wins and losses. If there is discontent amongst those who've supported Brew at the end of the season combined with a poor record, I think that's the only way he goes.

Slow day at CBS?

Seems like when someone can't find something to do, he/she decides to get creative and attempt to stir the pot. Go Gophers!

Pretty fair scoring. If you compare Brewster to Dickrod: 5 or 6 wins, Brewster probably saves his job, especially with a lame duck AD.

OTOH, If Dickrod doesn't get michigan to a major bowl game AND defeat at least two of his major rivals (MSU/nd/tOSU) he's probably gone, especially after getting slapped with infractions. Brewster could help his job security immensely by beating either Iowa or Wisky. You go 0-8 vs tOSU and MSU in Ann Arbor, you're history. Not sure where that bar is set with our AD. IMHO Maturi just wants to limp along with Brewster through his retirement party sometime next year, and let his replacement deal with it. That way Maturi doesn't have to admit he screwed up by firing TB.

its cute your calling maturi a "lame duck" and comparing mich losing to nd, msu, & nd equal to mn beating iowa & wisky. if I remember correctly mich is the most successful college program in history and mn hasn't mattered since the 60's. maybe mich has the lame duck due to their usual success but rebuilding a program from scratch is a lot different then trying to continue one of college football's powerhouse programs. in my opinion you're a lame duck because you would rather wish negativity on the gophers rather than support them. I don't care who the ad/coach/etc is I will always support mn and not act like an 8th grade a**hole

It is interesting that four of the nine coaches whose seat is "warm" or "hot" are in the Big Ten.

its cute your calling maturi a "lame duck" and comparing mich losing to nd, msu, & nd equal to mn beating iowa & wisky. if I remember correctly mich is the most successful college program in history and mn hasn't mattered since the 60's. maybe mich has the lame duck due to their usual success but rebuilding a program from scratch is a lot different then trying to continue one of college football's powerhouse programs. in my opinion you're a lame duck because you would rather wish negativity on the gophers rather than support them. I don't care who the ad/coach/etc is I will always support mn and not act like an 8th grade a**hole

So I assume then that you never said a bad word or criticized Monson, Mason, Wacker, etc. until they were actually fired because then you wouldn't have been supporting Minnesota.

Damn straight we aren't Meechigan

If we were I'd stick my head in an oven. But Iowa and Wisconsin aren't Ohio State, either, so I really don't think its unreasonable to expect our football team (and it's coach) to beat at least one of our archrivals every four years or so. Hell, more than once/decade would be an improvement.

I couldn't have stated it better than Gophergod. Never questioning the status quo is how we got into 50 years of mediocrity and futility, not how we get out of it.

Wasn't brent enema of the BADgers on the hot seat last year and now he is considered safe? Amazing how one year makes a difference despite barely beating teams in a terrible non conference schedule.

Gophers would be better off with BB than Brew. Look at his record at UW, Gophs have not had a run like that in what, 40 years?

So I assume then that you never said a bad word or criticized Monson, Mason, Wacker, etc. until they were actually fired because then you wouldn't have been supporting Minnesota.

I wouldn't be asking for a coaches head in yr 4 no matter the record. in yr 4 of mason's employment I wasn't complaining about the disgusting non conf schedule we player or the fact we never played any defense. we were bad before masonand its a process. mason helped bring some respect to the program but if we are to leave the bottom of the big ten he had to leave because he continued to schedule horrible non conf teams, he refused to recruit mn, and he only cared about going to some crap bowl game...he didn't care to strive for a rose bowl. brewster like mason needs a fair shot, building a program is different than putting on a band aid and starting over ecery 3-4 years. we are in a nice situation with depth and youth. it wasn't about being negative to mason, his time was over he did what we needed him to do

Gophers would be better off with BB than Brew. Look at his record at UW, Gophs have not had a run like that in what, 40 years?

If you think hard about it, the 2009 badgers were a lot like the 2003 gophers. The jury is still out on Bielema. He got handed a pretty solid program that he was groomed to take over. It's easy to be successful in that type of situation. Brewster has his weak points and I'm not 100% sold on him, but it's foolish to compare them based on wins and loses alone.

I wouldn't be asking for a coaches head in yr 4 no matter the record. in yr 4 of mason's employment I wasn't complaining about the disgusting non conf schedule we player or the fact we never played any defense. we were bad before masonand its a process. mason helped bring some respect to the program but if we are to leave the bottom of the big ten he had to leave because he continued to schedule horrible non conf teams, he refused to recruit mn, and he only cared about going to some crap bowl game...he didn't care to strive for a rose bowl. brewster like mason needs a fair shot, building a program is different than putting on a band aid and starting over ecery 3-4 years. we are in a nice situation with depth and youth. it wasn't about being negative to mason, his time was over he did what we needed him to do

Before you were saying that you would always support the coach as a true gopher fan would as long as they are the coach. Now, you are saying well that only applies for the first 4 years atleast then it is acceptable to criticize a coach and still maintain the badge of being a true gopher fan. So at the end of the day you are no different, you criticized coaches and coaching but merely waited longer to do that, got it.

Before you were saying that you would always support the coach as a true gopher fan would as long as they are the coach. Now, you are saying well that only applies for the first 4 years atleast then it is acceptable to criticize a coach and still maintain the badge of being a true gopher fan. So at the end of the day you are no different, you criticized coaches and coaching but merely waited longer to do that, got it.

you are really digging to make yourself correct and make me into a homer-which I am. however you took it to an absolute extreme. if mason was still coaching I would still be buying season tickets. what I was trying to spell out was brew hasn't hit a peak and we have not fallen off the ledge with brew. mason hit his peak in 2004 and it was a major decline after that. I think e ery coach hits their peak, some can sustain, some fall apart. it was obvious mason was done.

and if you want to be an ass and put words in peoples mouths keep doing what your doing! but in my opinion your what is wrong with minnesota sports fans, you want instant gratification.

...but in my opinion your what is wrong with minnesota sports fans, you want instant gratification.

Hilarious quote from lakes...on minnesota sports fans wanting instant gratification...:D

Especially when reflecting on the brew's quote from a few weeks ago..."ever wonder why no one has won at Minnesota in 50 years...:clap:

lakes...you've managed to spice up this board a bit...instant gratification...no one has won...in 50 years...dueling quotes...good comedy...

kinda like what the definition of "is" is...

enough to make one contemplate...:eek:

Hilarious quote from lakes...on minnesota sports fans wanting instant gratification...:D

Especially when reflecting on the brew's quote from a few weeks ago..."ever wonder why no one has won at Minnesota in 50 years...:clap:

lakes...you've managed to spice up this board a bit...instant gratification...no one has won...in 50 years...dueling quotes...good comedy...

kinda like what the definition of "is" is...

enough to make one contemplate...:eek:

sorry, this what I should be saying as a "fan"...Brewster sucks, weber sucks, oline sucks, rb sucks, gray should start because I watched his highlight clip on rivals.com, maturi sucks...that would be what you want to hear correct?

It is hard to argue against this rating at all. As I said in another post, I believe Tim Brewster will get fired after this season and of course there are lots of geniuses on here who think I am an idiot for thinking this. Looks like this article would agree with me.

The likelihood Brewster pulls off several wins with this schedule is very slim and just about every publication has the Gophers finishing 10th or 11th in the Big Ten with no players ranked in the top 3 in the Big Ten at ANY position. I have zero confidence that a guy "still learning to coach" four years in is going to pull it together. I also have zero confidence in his recruiting if he has a bad season - he will finish at or near the bottom in recruiting if he stays and the team has a bad season. And if he can't recruit you can stick a fork in him because that is pretty much all that he brings to the table.

Hopefully the next coach will be a proven winner who knows how to coach as well as recruit. That guy is out there - we just need to go and find him after the season is over.

It is hard to argue against this rating at all. As I said in another post, I believe Tim Brewster will get fired after this season and of course there are lots of geniuses on here who think I am an idiot for thinking this. Looks like this article would agree with me.

The likelihood Brewster pulls off several wins with this schedule is very slim and just about every publication has the Gophers finishing 10th or 11th in the Big Ten with no players ranked in the top 3 in the Big Ten at ANY position. I have zero confidence that a guy "still learning to coach" four years in is going to pull it together. I also have zero confidence in his recruiting if he has a bad season - he will finish at or near the bottom in recruiting if he stays and the team has a bad season. And if he can't recruit you can stick a fork in him because that is pretty much all that he brings to the table.

Hopefully the next coach will be a proven winner who knows how to coach as well as recruit. That guy is out there - we just need to go and find him after the season is over.

do you want u of m success or do you want to feel good about failure of brew?

do you want u of m success or do you want to feel good about failure of brew?

Are there really that many people on here that would waste their time on this forum if they didn't want a successful program? The fact that some would feel personally offended by suggestions/opinions Brew is on the hot seat and coaching for his job this year is a bit mind boggling. The bottom line is he's had time, his guys are now playing key roles on the team, and the proof will soon be in the pudding. The last thing this program needs is more turnover, so this poster will be especially ticked off at Brew if he puts the U in that position to start over. Get it done in the field, win some games, beat your rivals, make a decent bowl game. Not too much to expect is it? It has been done before in CFB.

Are there really that many people on here that would waste their time on this forum if they didn't want a successful program? The fact that some would feel personally offended by suggestions/opinions Brew is on the hot seat and coaching for his job this year is a bit mind boggling. The bottom line is he's had time, his guys are now playing key roles on the team, and the proof will soon be in the pudding. The last thing this program needs is more turnover, so this poster will be especially ticked off at Brew if he puts the U in that position to start over. Get it done in the field, win some games, beat your rivals, make a decent bowl game. Not too much to expect is it? It has been done before in CFB.

brew is dislked for non coaching reasons. the brew haters had their minds made up from the jump. the real haters of brew-they are the out spoken few who go on gopherhole and spit out comments of why brew will fail and then tell others to wait and see, not to mention that brew is a moron for playing weber over gray! only because gray was highly recruited and they liked his highlight clip on rivals. I don't think I'm a brew guy per say, but I don't think 4 years is a fair shot for any coach, especially for brew who inherited a horrible team. I do like what brew has done so far with the exception of wins/losses-which is the most important thing, however building a program from the ground up doesn't always show up in the win column. I am upset we can't keep an o-coordinator around, but I love the depth we have been building. I love the effort brew has made with mn high schools, I love the fact we are trying to get a big name on the non conf schedule yearly. yes, like everyone I have concerns but the positives clearly out weigh the negatives & if many of you can't see that, its because you have blinders on and want to believe the next stop on nick sabin's dream job list is @ minnesota.

1) I've got to agree with other posters in that you seem all over the place, lakes. A coach ought to be judged objectively, and after seasons of 1-11, 7-6 and 6-7, I don't think its unnatural that some reasonable people might question the direction that Brew's leadership has taken the program. I think we can all agree that it's an important season for Brewster's head coaching future. A "good fan's" outlook should not be required to fit into one of two bins: "Brewster Sucks" and "I love Brewster."

2) I have been a full-fledged Brewster supporter since the beginning. I was also heavily on the "Fire Mason" bandwagon when the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# finally hit the fan in Tempe. My opinion of both coaching situations were fluid, as I believe they should be. What a coach does on a month-to-month and year-to-year basis is important.

3) Having a mediocre football program is not an indictment of a school's supporters or alumni. Neither is criticism thereof.

4) I have to completely disagree with your assessment that the biggest problem for Minnesota sports fans is that fans expect instant gratification. If anything, Minnesota fans are too accepting of mediocrity. For years, Minnesota sports have been viewed by outsiders as "that cute little team from the Midwest" when our teams are good (e.g. Twins of the 2000's, Wolves with KG, etc.). I'd argue that until the support system at the 'U' becomes 1) less apathetic and 2) less patient with a mediocre program, Gopher football will never be at the level of Iowa or Wisconsin, much less an Ohio State or Michigan.

I guess I'm all over the place in the sense I don't believe the u of mn is a 4 year, win 9 games or your fired kind of a job. and if that means I'm all over the place so be it. I do think there are more positives with brew than negatives. 7-6 & 6-7 are good records with under-talented kids. brew decided to redshirt his guys not because he was thinking rose bowl in 09 but because he is trying to develop a program. I support brew just like I supported mason. mason peaked and we weren't doing anything different for 2-3 years. brew had to start all over so we would return to mediocrity but these next 2 yrs will say whether brew's vision will be a success or maybe brew will fail, I don't know but 2 more yrs at least or the u of mn loses all respect nationally and we will have journey man coaches uses us as a training ground to get a better job. like I said perviously I don't care who coaches as long as they are given a fair shot. so yes I'm all over the place

Top Bottom