CBS: College basketball coaches on the hottest seats as regular season nears completion (Richard Pitino, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Richard Pitino, Minnesota
The Golden Gophers have had their table turned over in the past six weeks. This is a team that was 10-2 four days into the new year, looking well-established and well on its way to the NCAA Tournament. Minnesota's gone 3-8 since, putting its Big Dance outlook in jeopardy and, in the process, bringing Pitino's job security into question. I agree with Parrish's pick of Leitao; a change there is a matter of time. But beyond him, Pitino's situation could be as hot as anyone else in a major conference given how Minnesota is losing (and losing by large margins) lately.

This is Pitino's eighth season with the program. He's made two NCAA Tournaments and had a sub-.500 team last season. Overall record: 140-118. For me, it comes down to this: If Minnesota makes the NCAAs, Pitino stays. If it doesn't, he doesn't. -- Matt Norlander

Go Gophers!!

I don’t agree making it means he stays. The body of work shouldn’t come down to being a last 4 in team and that being enough to stay employed by the U.
Agreed, probably depends on what candidates may be available as well.

I don’t agree making it means he stays. The body of work shouldn’t come down to being a last 4 in team and that being enough to stay employed by the U.

Agreed. All any reasonable person has to do is compare his record, overall, conference, home, road, to previous coaches. He's at the bottom. Not sure how you can argue to keep him.

I agree with you but I think the author is functionally correct. If he makes the tournament, he likely stays.

I agree with you but I think the author is functionally correct. If he makes the tournament, he likely stays.
You really think if we make the tournament he stays?

I think barring a final four run, he has to go. It actually makes more financial sense to dump him. His buyout is nothing compared to the hit the athletic department will take next year. He stays, I rid of my season tickets. He’s gone, I don’t.

In my opinion that would be a monster blunder and could cost the University tens of millions. It won’t just be ticket sales for 2022, 2023 will be a disaster as well.

I think barring a final four run, he has to go. It actually makes more financial sense to dump him. His buyout is nothing compared to the hit the athletic department will take next year. He stays, I rid of my season tickets. He’s gone, I don’t.

In my opinion that would be a monster blunder and could cost the University tens of millions. It won’t just be ticket sales for 2022, 2023 will be a disaster as well.

Eh...let’s say there are 7500 season ticket holders and each tickets is $1000. That’s $7,500,000. To buyout Richard and hire most coaches will cost ~$3,000,000 (could be more). The likelihood of losing 3000 STHs is extremely low. Future years you have no idea because you don’t know the market. You’re also assuming all STHs lost are due to Pitino.
Me not renewing is independent of the coach. Its a life decision due to proximity to Williams Arena, work and kid. Way different than being a single or childless guy living 15 minutes from the parking ramp I like.

Eh...let’s say there are 7500 season ticket holders and each tickets is $1000. That’s $7,500,000. To buyout Richard and hire most coaches will cost ~$3,000,000 (could be more). The likelihood of losing 3000 STHs is extremely low. Future years you have no idea because you don’t know the market. You’re also assuming all STHs lost are due to Pitino.
Me not renewing is independent of the coach. Its a life decision due to proximity to Williams Arena, work and kid. Way different than being a single or childless guy living 15 minutes from the parking ramp I like.
Yeah I guess we just think about it differently which is okay it’s just an opinion. I’m not only factoring season ticket holders. I would guess single game purchases would be way down next year but I’m not plugged in in any way, just speculating my opinion.

What are your thoughts on an NCAA tournament birth saving his job? Do you think if we make it he stays?

Yeah I guess we just think about it differently which is okay it’s just an opinion. I’m not only factoring season ticket holders. I would guess single game purchases would be way down next year but I’m not plugged in in any way, just speculating my opinion.

What are your thoughts on an NCAA tournament birth saving his job? Do you think if we make it he stays?

I think at a minimum they need to make it in and win the round of 64 game. I'm not sure if that will be enough, but anything less and I have to think it's done. A hot run in the BTT, say, champs or runners-up, could also complicate that though.

I think it is more likely than not that he stays if we make the tournament (say somewhat over 50% but not over 60% unless the team makes a good impression there).

Look, this has nothing to do with whether we dislike Pitino, whether we are disgusted with him, or whether we think it's fair that he has been here for 8 years. I wish I never had to look at Pitino again for the rest of my life. But, I don't buy the "It doesn't matter what happens this year, it's the whole body of work" argument. His whole body of work stunk before this year so he should have been fired prior to this season if that was so important.

At this point, I think he's more likely than not to be evaluated on a year-to-year basis. If the team makes the tournament, this isn't a bad year considering the pre-season media expectations even though it may be a disappointing year from the viewpoint of where we were in early January.

Unless they win the next 4 I can’t see keeping a guy that’s finished below 500 in conference 7 of 8 years regardless whether they make the tournament

Good to see this in the national spotlight

I think at a minimum they need to make it in and win the round of 64 game. I'm not sure if that will be enough, but anything less and I have to think it's done. A hot run in the BTT, say, champs or runners-up, could also complicate that though.
Yeah, that’s a fair assessment. I agree a nice run in the big ten tourney could complicate things.

I think it is more likely than not that he stays if we make the tournament (say somewhat over 50% but not over 60% unless the team makes a good impression there).

Look, this has nothing to do with whether we dislike Pitino, whether we are disgusted with him, or whether we think it's fair that he has been here for 8 years. I wish I never had to look at Pitino again for the rest of my life. But, I don't buy the "It doesn't matter what happens this year, it's the whole body of work" argument. His whole body of work stunk before this year so he should have been fired prior to this season if that was so important.

At this point, I think he's more likely than not to be evaluated on a year-to-year basis. If the team makes the tournament, this isn't a bad year considering the pre-season media expectations even though it may be a disappointing year from the viewpoint of where we were in early January.
Thanks for sharing. I see your point and where you are coming from.

I think Coyle has a very easy decision. Hopefully he finds his guy and makes a move to reinvigorate this program.

I don’t think he is the coach next year. I could see him staying but what has he done to keep his job over the last 8 years? In my mind very little.

Coyle was behind the bench for the IL. game and seeing that should have made the decision easier for him. I think Pitino is gone.

Yeah, that’s a fair assessment. I agree a nice run in the big ten tourney could complicate things.

Given the injuries and how terrible this team looks away from home I just can't see any scenario where they make a run in the Big Ten tournament.

Also agree with the take that says an NCAA bid doesn't automatically save his job. If they do manage to get in (no sure thing with the way they are playing right now) they probably have to win at least 1 game to save him. Getting in and getting bounced in round 1 probably isn't enough.

Why didn't they post his pathetic B1G record?

Or his record after the month of December?

He is unable to manage a roster for an entire season. Give him 5 perfectly fitted McDonald's All-Americans and he would burn them out before the B1G tournament and they would be dropping games at the end of the season.

We need a finisher. Not a coach who finishes us.

That's fine but the trajectory hasn't changed. Body of work matters greatly then.

I wish you weren't right, but I can't say you aren't.

I wish you weren't right, but I can't say you aren't.
Screw the tournament. Coyle should be able to see that thinking the tournament means we keep Pitino is similar logic to the Timberwolves barely missing the playoffs for 13 years straight and always getting the very end of the lottery picks.

AVERAGE AT BEST!

The decision is already made.
3-0 and they are probably in.
does 3-0 change a decision already made? I would say no.

Given the injuries and how terrible this team looks away from home I just can't see any scenario where they make a run in the Big Ten tournament.

Also agree with the take that says an NCAA bid doesn't automatically save his job. If they do manage to get in (no sure thing with the way they are playing right now) they probably have to win at least 1 game to save him. Getting in and getting bounced in round 1 probably isn't enough.
The odds of them making the tournament are less than 20% at this point. They need 4-5 more wins and nothing in their recently play suggest they're remotely capable of more than 1-2.

The decision is already made.
3-0 and they are probably in.
does 3-0 change a decision already made? I would say no.
3-0 won't do it anymore. 9-11 with a loss to Rutgers or PSU might have. Losing at home to NW is too damaging. They will have to win all 3 and at least 1 BTT game (Weakling Wednesday excluded) to have any shot.

3-0 won't do it anymore. 9-11 with a loss to Rutgers or PSU might have. Losing at home to NW is too damaging. They will have to win all 3 and at least 1 BTT game (Weakling Wednesday excluded) to have any shot.
False

You’re just wrong.
We won’t find out though because we are going 1-2 or 0-3

False

You’re just wrong.
We won’t find out though because we are going 1-2 or 0-3
I'm agreeing with SS. 17 wins to be safe. Especially now with a bad loss on the resume.

Top Bottom