Catching up with Trey Davis

husker70

Reaction score
I found he is throwing both the shot and discus at Minnesota. The article I found raised more questions and the answers about strenght and conditioning at Minnesota.

First the article.

http://www.kare11.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=847716

The point I want to make and ask if this is fact or fiction is in paragraph,

"These guys get to lift and build muscle from June to November, whereas for me it was just June and July and then we're right into two-a-days or what not," Davis added.

If I interpret this correctly he is saying track and field athletes lift from June to November while football was just June and July.

I remember lifting late January through July and into August. If the football team is losing February, March, April, and May, is it due to some NCAA regulation or was Davis doing the minimum? Who else is on this two month program by choice?

You are not interpreting that correctly. What he is saying is that he was at a disadvantage going into indoor season because the other throwers were lifting to put on muscle until Nov, where as in football once the season starts (two a days in Aug) lifting focus shifts more to maintenaince and staying healthy than putting on muscle. By not lifting for gains in the football season he fell months behind other throwers. The football team isn't losing the spring, he was because he was throwing in the outdoor season.

You are not interpreting that correctly. What he is saying is that he was at a disadvantage going into indoor season because the other throwers were lifting to put on muscle until Nov, where as in football once the season starts (two a days in Aug) lifting focus shifts more to maintenaince and staying healthy than putting on muscle. By not lifting for gains in the football season he fell months behind other throwers. The football team isn't losing the spring, he was because he was throwing in the outdoor season.

This is correct, he also most likely had a vastly different weight program for football, which may add some endurance lifting work. Throwers traditionally lift intense and heavy, focusing on adding muscle and explosiveness over very short movements. Caught between both worlds, he was most likely falling behind in both conditioningwise.
Although I'll edit in, he's the most explosive big man I've seen throw in Minnesota, falling behind isn't a criticism of his strength, simply a description of a tough balance for a two sport guy, now more focused, I have no doubt he'll be successful throwing.

I am good friends with the throws coach at the U. He basically stated the same thing saying that Trey just wasn't where he could be for track because football training was hindering his throwing training, and he was really excited to see what he could do without having to take a break for spring ball. With this being his first year not doing spring football, Trey really showed what he could do this weekend at the Big Ten Championships finishing 3rd in the discus throw and 2nd (with a huge all time best) in the shot put. Not to pump up my old sport or anything, but that's 4 conference titles in a row for the Maroon and Gold Men's T&F team (2 indoor, 2 outdoor)!!

Go Gophers!!

Not to pump up my old sport or anything, but that's 4 conference titles in a row for the Maroon and Gold Men's T&F team (2 indoor, 2 outdoor)!!

Go Gophers!!

I started a thread on the other sports board about this, but I don't know how much traffic that gets.

Big 10 Track and field championships

I see Davis scored a 2nd and a 3rd in shot and discus at the Big 10 championships - so looks like he made a good move leaving football.

Top Bottom