Can Kill perform the duties of the job?

This post, and every radio sports talk host commenting on Kill's seizures is evidence that the situation is beyond the U's control. Let's face it, Maturi hired yet another individual that is not equipped to withstand the pressure of big time football. And frankly, a lot of you are fooling yourselves if you think you see improvement in this team. The gophers do not show any consistency in either running or throwing the ball effectively. The defense (though at times show up) has also been considerably inconsistent. Lou Holtz did way more in his 2nd year with far, far, far less talent than Kill & Co. Next year will be Kill's last season, and the University will let him go away quietly by saying it's for health reasons (as it will be, because he never should have been hired in the first place), but the other reason, equally true is that Kill and his staff are not primetime players. This will go down in U history as just another bungled hire by Joel Maturi. Hopefully Teague is not so inept at making important decisions, considering how much money he's being paid.

So you are saying that I shouldn't go to the bowl game?

I think the seizures are taking there toll. Kill is what, 51 years of age? He looks like he is in his mid 60's. I respect the bull dog attitude of Coach Kill in dealing with these seizures. Still, what happens if on the sideline he has one again and cracks his head open on a equipment box or some other sideline paraphernalia? IMHO Kahler, Teague, are shaking the dice on this whole situation both on
and off the field.

Exactly! People, stop with the Kill needs to go junk. Your weakness from the last 4 decades of garbage football has you all looking really lame here. I'm embarrassed for you. He's a good coach and has our team improving. As long as he wants to fight on with this illness, more power to him. These are facts, not the fearful guesses some of you are putting on here and telling others they are naive to ignore.

Those aren't anymore facts than someone who thinks the job is too stressful for Jerry Kill.

Kills seizures could impact current players, could be negative to future recruits, I don't see how it matters, stability is more important than anything right now, until it impacts his health on an ongoing basis I don't see how anything could change, making one for a reason other than Kill wanting to step down now would really look bad and be very destructive to the program. You have to give the current staff 5 years minimum.

Kill stepping down would not stop the seizures from happening. Basically, it would only prevent you potentially seeing one.

Kill stepping down might give us whole games worth of coaching that we are currently not getting from our head coach. Seeing a seizure is not germane.

The problem is in defining "impossible". Unlikely he'll be incapacitated for a duration. The pattern very well could be a couple of seizures a year during games. Obviously takes him out of the game, misses practice, and it may or may not affect recruiting a particular kid. Where is the line? Hope it never comes to that, but lawyers would be licking their chops over that legal action.

Ironically, the Gophers have a record that maybe most fans would have taken at the beginning of the year. Also, we are going to a bowl. But being totally outclassed and manhandled by several teams; the mess A.J.'s mom's friend caused; and now this latest seizure really leaves me down about the season.

Got to keep focused on the improvements, the youth of the squad, and the injuries they were forced to deal with. That way, I'm still hopeful, but it's not like I haven't had a lot of practice of being hopeful.

The lawyers won't be licking their chops if the U plays by the rules. As a highly compensated employee manager, he falls less under the rules than other employees.

The problem that might show up is the old line "perception becomes reality". The truth might be that Coach Kill can do his job, but with these public episodes, the way it looks to people, he can't.

The problem that might show up is the old line "perception becomes reality". The truth might be that Coach Kill can do his job, but with these public episodes, the way it looks to people, he can't.

Nailed

The lawyers won't be licking their chops if the U plays by the rules. As a highly compensated employee manager, he falls less under the rules than other employees.

Dean is right, Jerry Kill's job is a different kind of position than a normal job. If he missing games every year and missing practices every year, it would be REALLY difficult for Kill's attorney to win an argument that he can fully perform his job. It's different than a teacher missing 3 classes a year. The old definition of impossible was literally...impossible (Bob and Al had a contract for Bob to paint Al's house, Al's house burned down, the contract is now impossible). However, that has REALLY changed in the modern context.

Lawyers would be licking their chops because it will likely settle and everyone will win, however, if this case went to court, it would be almost impossible for Kill to win.

Apparently there are many on this board who would prefer that Kill get a different job, like maybe schoolbus driver, fireman, heavy equipment operator, or crossing guard?
Fact is there is almost no job more perfect for a man with the disability Kill currently has. It is a CEO job. Absolutely no one in danger; everything pre-planned, staff in place for years and well acquainted with situation, team acclimated, episodes are of short duration.

Kill in my opinion could should and most likely would win very large settlement it this is used against him to push him out of job. And I myself am a very non-p.c. individual who thinks all handicapped parking, ramps, and toilet seats should be abolished. Hell, I'm not even a big pro-Kill guy but program does appear to be improving. If (and very questionable if) wants to ruin his health making the Gophers a great team than let him.

Gophers football: AD plans to lessen Jerry Kill's load after latest seizure

Marian Central Catholic quarterback Chris Streveler, who was named first-team all-state in Illinois, said Wisconsin and Pittsburgh were among the schools trying to get him to renege on his commitment to Kill. But even after Kill's most recent seizure, Streveler isn't interested in taking their calls.

"I hope coach is doing well; it's only concerning in that matter," Streveler said Monday. "It's not concerning in the matter where I would be worried about (the program) and decommit or anything like that. When I've been up there on my visits, he's brought (his seizure disorder) up. He's been very open about it. I really respect that about him. It is what it is. And it's just something that happens."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22070179/gophers-football-ad-plans-lessen-jerry-kills-load

Apparently there are many on this board who would prefer that Kill get a different job, like maybe schoolbus driver, fireman, heavy equipment operator, or crossing guard?
Fact is there is almost no job more perfect for a man with the disability Kill currently has. It is a CEO job. Absolutely no one in danger; everything pre-planned, staff in place for years and well acquainted with situation, team acclimated, episodes are of short duration.

Kill in my opinion could should and most likely would win very large settlement it this is used against him to push him out of job. And I myself am a very non-p.c. individual who thinks all handicapped parking, ramps, and toilet seats should be abolished. Hell, I'm not even a big pro-Kill guy but program does appear to be improving. If (and very questionable if) wants to ruin his health making the Gophers a great team than let him.

Hate to tell you, but you're wrong. No one would hire a coach who does not attend a portion of the games and/or practices. It isn't just a minor inconvience, it's almost the entire job. I don't want Coach Kill to step down, I'm not advocating for us to move on. I'm simply saying that Coach Kill's health issues could allow the U to get out of the contract without the threat of a lawsuit. Their simply wouldn't be a lawsuit, they'd come to a conclusion. Kill's lawyer would let him know that the U was acting according to the State of Minnesota's precedent on Contract Law and he would accept a relatively cheap buyout. It's a relatively simply concept....(1) The U's not at fault; (2) Coach Kill being able to physically attend the games and most practices is fundamental to being a coach; (3) The U didn't assume the risk that Kill would have this kind of issue with seizures (it's increased by quite a bit).

Again, I'm not saying I want this to happen. I am a huge fan of Coach Kill, I was merely responding to the assertion made by a lot of people that the U couldn't fire him or that he'd win money in a lawsuit if he left, it simply wouldn't work out that way.

You guys better get over it. They CANNOT let him go due to health reasons. That is flatly against the law.

You guys better get over it. They CANNOT let him go due to health reasons. That is flatly against the law.

Not really. If he cannot perform the essential functions of the job without reasonable accommodation he can be let go even if due to a disability. That being said, any firing for this reason would be hotly contested if litigated.

Also, didn't Kill mention once in an interview that certain aspects of his employment contract dealt with certain issues related to his condition?

Those aren't anymore facts than someone who thinks the job is too stressful for Jerry Kill.

The part I was referring to as facts-"He's a good coach and has our team improving" The good coach part comes from every circle including "experts". And the improving part is fact (record better and bowl game). So they are much more qualified and/or documented takes on Coach Kill. Unlike anything else that has been posted. How's that?

Hate to tell you, but you're wrong. No one would hire a coach who does not attend a portion of the games and/or practices. It isn't just a minor inconvience, it's almost the entire job. I don't want Coach Kill to step down, I'm not advocating for us to move on. I'm simply saying that Coach Kill's health issues could allow the U to get out of the contract without the threat of a lawsuit. Their simply wouldn't be a lawsuit, they'd come to a conclusion. Kill's lawyer would let him know that the U was acting according to the State of Minnesota's precedent on Contract Law and he would accept a relatively cheap buyout. It's a relatively simply concept....(1) The U's not at fault; (2) Coach Kill being able to physically attend the games and most practices is fundamental to being a coach; (3) The U didn't assume the risk that Kill would have this kind of issue with seizures (it's increased by quite a bit).

Again, I'm not saying I want this to happen. I am a huge fan of Coach Kill, I was merely responding to the assertion made by a lot of people that the U couldn't fire him or that he'd win money in a lawsuit if he left, it simply wouldn't work out that way.

I would venture that there aren't a lot of people who rise to the top of the corporate ladder with an issue like the one Kill has. That's not to say that it's fair or that Kill can't do his job (or that he isn't the right guy for the job). At the same time, it is a distraction. The fact that Streveler won't change his mind doesn't alter the fact--as proven by the fact that Streveler got a bunch of phone calls--that Kill's condition is being used as negative recruiting.

I'm fine with Kill and hope he does well, but at the same time I'm worried about his condition and what it means for him (the most important part of the equation) and (then) for the football program.

Top Bottom