Campbell, Ellestad Honored By Big Ten Conference

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
For Immediate Release

Campbell, Ellestad Honored By Big Ten Conference

Two Golden Gopher football players were honored by the Big Ten Conference with weekly honors Sunday night. Senior middle linebacker Lee Campbell was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. Meanwhile, junior kicker Eric Ellestad was named the league's Co-Special Teams Player of the Week.

Campbell tallied a career-high 13 tackles, including 11 solo stops. Three of Campbell's tackles (all of the solo variety) came in overtime. He single-handedly stopped Syracuse RB Delone Carter on 1st-and-10 from the 11-yard line stuffed him for no gain on 2nd-and-4, setting up a Syracuse pass attempt on third down, which was intercepted in the end zone.

Campbell's 13 tackles were the most for a Gopher since Deon Hightower had 13 stops on Oct. 20, 2007 against North Dakota State. His 11 solos were tied for the most in the nation in games through Saturday.

Ellestad, playing in his first collegiate game, kicked a game-tying 26-yard field goal with less than one minute remaining in regulation to force overtime. In overtime, Ellestad knocked a 35-yarder through the posts amid the din of 48,617 screaming fans in the Carrier Dome, lifting Minnesota to victory. He added another 26-yarder in the third quarter.

His one missed attempt was tipped at the line of scrimmage after a breakdown in protection. Ellestad also handled kickoffs, averaging 62.8 yards per kick.

-UM-

It's great to have a defensive player win B10 player of the week honors. I'm hoping for more of the same in the future especially in conference play.

WOW! Congrats to both! A defensive player and a kicker being honored in the same week for us! Gotta love it!

Decker's 189 Must Have Been Close To Have Garnered A Sweep

Campbell was noticeable. Nice to see a Gopher defender getting this honor.

Not only nice to see a defensive Gopher win this award, but particularly for this player. Campbell was a lower-rated recruit and has struggled in the past (in my mind) matching up speed-wise and completing his tackles. His performance this week showed a lot of improvement in skills and awareness, important things for a LB. Nice to see hard work pay off.

i would like to know who was the offensive player of the week.

probably the PSU QB.

or the purdue RB.

Well - earned. It is nice to see Ellestad build some confidence right out of the gate.

I thought big play played well he really stepped up in the 2nd half!!!!

Cambell had a huge game he was all over the field. Simoni and big play Tray were doing there thing also. Other than two drives our defense looked pretty good. If our offense can get it rolling I think we will b ok.

Campbell, Ellestad Honored by Big Ten

Two Golden Gopher football players were honored by the Big Ten Conference with weekly honors Sunday night. Senior middle linebacker Lee Campbell was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. Meanwhile, junior kicker Eric Ellestad was named the league's Co-Special Teams Player of the Week.

Campbell tallied a career-high 13 tackles, including 11 solo stops. Three of Campbell's tackles (all of the solo variety) came in overtime. He single-handedly stopped Syracuse RB Delone Carter on 1st-and-10 from the 11-yard line stuffed him for no gain on 2nd-and-4, setting up a Syracuse pass attempt on third down, which was intercepted in the end zone.

Campbell's 13 tackles were the most for a Gopher since Deon Hightower had 13 stops on Oct. 20, 2007 against North Dakota State. His 11 solos were tied for the most in the nation in games through Saturday.

Ellestad, playing in his first collegiate game, kicked a game-tying 26-yard field goal with less than one minute remaining in regulation to force overtime. In overtime, Ellestad knocked a 35-yarder through the posts amid the din of 48,617 screaming fans in the Carrier Dome, lifting Minnesota to victory. He added another 26-yarder in the third quarter.
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38605&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204789048

Its clear Campbell is making his NFL push, he played great, and definetly deserves the award. I know only one game but he looked like a dominant linebacker, he was all over the field.

Campbell had no business playing defensive end.

Lee looked great against the run on Saturday. We haven't had a sideline-to-sideline guy at MLB for awhile. (Leverenz?)

Top Bottom