Cam Christie Named Big Ten Freshman of the Week

GopherLady

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS - Freshman guard Cam Christie (Arlington Heights, Ill.) has been named Big Ten Freshman of the Week after back-to-back stellar performances at Illinois and home vs. Penn State. It marks Christie's second freshman honor this season and Minnesota's third weekly honor this year.

Christie scored a team-best 21 points in Minnesota's two games last week at No. 13 Illinois and Penn State. On the week, Christie shot 11-of-26 from the field, including 53.8 percent from three, connecting 7-of-13 times from three-point range. In Saturday's win over Penn State, Christie tied a game-high 19 points, which led all Gopher scorers as Minnesota won its ninth Big Ten win of the season. Christie scored 13 of his 19 points in the second half, including a three-pointer to put the Gophers up 62-58 with 3:49 remaining. He also was a perfect 8-of-8 from the free throw line, both career bests. In the loss at Illinois, Christie scored a career-best 23 of Minnesota's 97 points and ranked second on the team in scoring. He shot 6-of-12 from the field, including a career-high six three-pointers, and was 5-of-6 from the line. Christie also had six rebounds, two assists, one block, and one steal in the two games. The 23 points he scored were the third-most by a Big Ten Freshman this season.

The Gophers close the home season Wednesday night when the Indiana Hoosiers come to town. Game time is set for 8 p.m. and televised on Big Ten Network.

Well deserved recognition for Cam as he has been playing at a really high level down the stretch. Going to come down to him or the guy from Iowa for conference freshman of the year.

I didn't realize Owen Freeman has been Big Ten freshman of the week 9 times, then I think John Blackwell from Wisconsin has won it 3 times, and Mackenzie Mgbako and Cam Christie twice each. I'd love to see Christie win it, but I wonder if Freeman already has it wrapped up.

Top Bottom