Cam Christie declares for NBA (while maintaining college eligibility)

Why do people keep comparing Cam with Coffey? Just because they were our two most recent high impact freshmen?

Yes they both declared early for the draft process, but that's about it. Completely different players
Not "people."
That bit of absurdity comes from GopherinNYC. He pulled his usual schtik of bad post, followed by digging his heels in against any reasonable pushback.

So my advice to Ben Johnson would be - plan as if Christie is not returning. go out and get the best you can in the portal. then, if Christie does return, the roster is that much stronger. (assuming there is a roster spot still available).

I think he understands that and is actively going after guards and wings. We've been through this before with Marcus Carr. He tested the waters in 2020 and came back later in the summer. The delay was much longer then becuase that was the pandemic summer and the draft was postponed a couple of times.

Comparing the decision making process more than the players.

The biggest factor in the decision making process is that Cam is younger and has a NBA ready jump shot. Coffey was older and really needed to work on his shot, which he has, and is what is keeping him in the league. But that's what makes Cam a better prospect.

Last edited:

Not "people."
That bit of absurdity comes from GopherinNYC. He pulled his usual schtik of bad post, followed by digging his heels in against any reasonable pushback.

I apologize, as I grossly overestimated the ability of some people to connect a few dots without it being blatantly explained; creative thinking isn’t in their repertoire - it’s not a bad thing, as we all have differing cognitive abilities (I for example, wish I was more intuitive with mathematics). I unfortunately don’t have the power to assist others in understanding nuanced thought.

I’ve also admitted on here when I’ve been wrong or mistaken before and apologized to others when I was a Richard. Have you done any of those things?

Anywho, does the Emmanuel Karmo/Koi Perich back-to-back commits (this refers to them being the top recruits in their respective classes. Savvy? (dots connected🤗))confirm those football foundations are still crumbling, 🛩️ guy?

My favorite jam to start your weekend right (hopefully sans pink 🐘) -

The biggest factor in the decision making process is that Cam is younger and has a NBA ready jump shot. Coffey was older and really needed to work on his shot, which he has, and is what is keeping him in the league. But that's what makes Cam a better prospect.
Coffey is longer and a better athlete with a little better handle. Christie is a better shooter for sure.

He was listed in The Athletic’s NBA draft guru’s board, after his late season run (he wasn’t on it prior) and that’s how this gained steam on here before his announcement; I haven’t seen him on any others FWIW
Yes. After that, he had a 0-point game. And some other lower-scoring games. So let's hope that he's not drafted strictly based on his potential.

So you think college is a better place for players to develop because the crowds are larger? What?

Who is making this judgment on which games are more "important"?
So you think the G League is a better place for players to develop because the coach is related to the Brooklyn Brawler? What?

That being said...I wonder how much money, or lack thereof, plays into it. How much are the Gophers offering to pay Christie?

Some of you just like to be argumentative. We're gonna get anywhere if we can't even agree that Big Ten & NCAA Tournament games are more important won-loss-wise than G League games.

What does any of that have to do with developing your skill set? Big Ten and tournament games are more important to fans, but to the players playing, they are one in the same. They both present different challenges, but playing in a G League game is 10x harder than playing in a college game.

Some of you just like to be argumentative. We're gonna get anywhere if we can't even agree that Big Ten & NCAA Tournament games are more important won-loss-wise than G League games.
Eh, depends on what you are referring to

Meaningful in terms of actual attention and importance for implications from a team perspective it's not even close NCAA wins out

From future projection regarding talent? Eh, debatable Second pick overall last year never played college ball, Lamelo, list goes on

What does any of that have to do with developing your skill set? Big Ten and tournament games are more important to fans, but to the players playing, they are one in the same. They both present different challenges, but playing in a G League game is 10x harder than playing in a college game.
Why are we arguing? We have enough to argue about on if Minnesota"s shortcomings are the coach's fault...we don't need to be arguing about this.

All I'm trying to say is that Big Ten basketball does have SOME advantages over the G League. After someone pointed out the G League advantages. I didn't disagree...I just pointed out the other side.

Why are we arguing? We have enough to argue about on if Minnesota"s shortcomings are the coach's fault...we don't need to be arguing about this.

All I'm trying to say is that Big Ten basketball does have SOME advantages over the G League. After someone pointed out the G League advantages. I didn't disagree...I just pointed out the other side.

Well, yeah playing in front of those crowds is challenging, but that doesn't really have anything to do with developing your skills.

Coffey is longer and a better athlete with a little better handle. Christie is a better shooter for sure.
And a much better passer and defender. Cam is a better pure scorer and much better shooter, but Amir much more unique player overall.

I'm not sure Cam is a better prospect than Amir was/is.

And a much better passer and defender. Cam is a better pure scorer and much better shooter, but Amir much more unique player overall.

I'm not sure Cam is a better prospect than Amir was/is.

It comes down to projection though. Coffey turned 22 the summer he went pro. Cam might be just as good if not better than Amir at most of those things 3 years from now.

It comes down to projection though. Coffey turned 22 the summer he went pro. Cam might be just as good if not better than Amir at most of those things 3 years from now.
Age sure. Cam is very unlikely to ever develop an Amir style floor game though.

Christy has a ways to go. The only question is whether he thinks the NBA developmental league or another year in college is better for his improvement. Hopefully he stays with the Gophers.
This pretty much sums it up for me. If he wants to stay in the draft he will get drafted by someone either late first or at some point in the second.

But at this point he will almost certainly be ticketed for the G-League if he goes pro. So it will come down to what Cam wants. Does he want to start his pro career now and spend a year or two in the minor leagues or would he rather spend another year in college in the hopes that when he does go into the draft he ends up being in a position to go straight to the NBA.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Hopefully he elects to come back for another year but could easily see him deciding to stay in the draft as well.

Not respinding to comparison between Coffey and Christie however looked at a half dozen NBA mock drafts recently, Christie has not been mentioned in either if the 2 rounds by any of them!
None of those prognosticators know anything. Their sources are sandbagging them so no one knows they will make Cam a lottery pick. 😂🏀

42nd to the Hornets. If he gets a guaranteed contract, in that range, he's looking at just under $2 million/yr.
I don't follow mock drafts at all. How accurate are they historically, especially at the lower end? Just curious.

Ben needs to recruit as if he isn't coming back.

I don't follow mock drafts at all. How accurate are they historically, especially at the lower end? Just curious.

Ben needs to recruit as if he isn't coming back.

Being mocked mid to late 2nd round doesn't really mean much. It's around that time these teams start taking fliers on international prospects. I'd say based on a mid 2nd round grade(at least according to this publication), there's no guarantee of getting drafted. If he can get into the top 40, his odds are much better.

Not respinding to comparison between Coffey and Christie however looked at a half dozen NBA mock drafts recently, Christie has not been mentioned in either if the 2 rounds by any of them!

FWIW - The Athletic’s draft guru, Sam Vecenie, who was the one who put Cam in his first round after his nice run in the later third of the season, before he petered out at the end, has him 39th now - firmly in the second round, non-guaranteed contract. UCONN now has two in the Top 5 and they weren’t there before their championship run.

Last edited:

If the mid second round projections end up being accurate I could definitely see Christie opting to come back for another year of college basketball to keep working on his game and hopefully find his way into the first round next year.

Will come down to how desperate he is to start his pro career. Does he want to take less up front to get into the G league or would he rather wait another year and try to land in a better situation and potentially go straight to the NBA.

Top Bottom