Cal fires Sonny Dykes

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
And people thought our timing was curious. Chip Kelly rumors in overdrive.

No idea

Maybe Fleck gives Jay Spavital a call.

I have no idea but two quarterbacks choose to transfer and you get fired...isn't exactly an endorsement on the surface. And I don't believe PJ's philosophy is high tempo. They were among the high in time of possession among all teams at WMU.

Jake Peeler seems like a better candidate, maybe?

Rumor is PJF is their top choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Coach Dykes clearly built up our program -- both on the field and in the classroom -- and he leaves Cal in a stronger position than when he arrived," Cal athletic director Director of Athletics Mike Williams said via statement. "For that alone, he deserves credit and our thanks. After our bowl win last season, we showed our commitment to him with a contract extension. But after looking at a number of factors after the end of this season, I felt that we needed a change of direction for the good of our student-athletes and our program."

Coyle could have done himself many favors by giving a similar statement

"Coach Dykes clearly built up our program -- both on the field and in the classroom -- and he leaves Cal in a stronger position than when he arrived," Cal athletic director Director of Athletics Mike Williams said via statement. "For that alone, he deserves credit and our thanks. After our bowl win last season, we showed our commitment to him with a contract extension. But after looking at a number of factors after the end of this season, I felt that we needed a change of direction for the good of our student-athletes and our program."

Coyle could have done himself many favors by giving a similar statement

This is how you fire a coach but still retain the high road and stay classy...someone should email this to Mark Coyle as a learning opportunity. No reason to drag good people through the mud because you are a weak, chicken **** coward who can't just do your job and have some backbone.

Read that Justin Wilcox is a candidate. Mostly a west coast guy except for a few seasons including this past year at Wisconsin.

He flirted with some schools last year. AD held a grudge.

This is how you fire a coach but still retain the high road and stay classy...someone should email this to Mark Coyle as a learning opportunity. No reason to drag good people through the mud because you are a weak, chicken **** coward who can't just do your job and have some backbone.

+100

I wouldn't get so high roadish about AD Mike Williams just yet:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/08/report-cal-fired-sonny-dykes/

“Something blew this thing up,” the source said. “If you’re going to fire him for what happened on the field, you do it a month ago. This wasn’t about what happened on the field.”

“We want what’s best for our student-athletes and have a head coach in place who is fully committed to our program and our university,” athletic director Mike Williams said.

“I understand that the timing may not be ideal – it rarely is. We did not want to make this decision until we were ready and did so for the health of our football program and department …

“Our objective is long-term financial sustainability for our department. In order to do this, we understand that investing in football is critical. We believe that this change will reinvigorate the program, stimulate lagging ticket sales and renewals, and energize our donor base.”

I wouldn't get so high roadish about AD Mike Williams just yet:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/08/report-cal-fired-sonny-dykes/

“Something blew this thing up,” the source said. “If you’re going to fire him for what happened on the field, you do it a month ago. This wasn’t about what happened on the field.”

“We want what’s best for our student-athletes and have a head coach in place who is fully committed to our program and our university,” athletic director Mike Williams said.

“I understand that the timing may not be ideal – it rarely is. We did not want to make this decision until we were ready and did so for the health of our football program and department …

“Our objective is long-term financial sustainability for our department. In order to do this, we understand that investing in football is critical. We believe that this change will reinvigorate the program, stimulate lagging ticket sales and renewals, and energize our donor base.”
It sounds like he was paying attention to the situation in Minnesota.

Cal special teams coach is a northern Minnesota guy.

Claeys was a chicken **** behind closed doors with Coyle, flip-flopped, and then threw his boss under the bus in one cowardly tweet.

See how easy that is??

Claeys was a chicken **** behind closed doors with Coyle, flip-flopped, and then threw his boss under the bus in one cowardly tweet.

See how easy that is??

(A) His boss should have been thrown under the bus - - kudos to Claeys for that.

(B) If your narrative resembles reality, why the different stories from Kaler and Coyle?

Top Bottom