Cade McNamara to Iowa

As it has not mattered for the last eight seasons who I-O-W-A had under center just not going to get too excited on this one.

Certainly looks like an upgrade from Petras but our pathologies against the Hawks go deeper than the opposing QB.

That offered, this is certainly an instance where teleporting looks to make a difference on papyrus. Here's to similar good moves for the Gophers.

M
I like the part about beating Ohio State and playing in the CFP.
he threw for 159 yards and 1 INT against Ohio St. He didn’t beat them. Michigan won in spite of him.

In the CFP he threw for 106 yards and 2 INTs. He isn’t very good. I’m sorry your blurb from the detroit press saying he led them to a CFP is misleading. But the stats are obvious.

M

he threw for 159 yards and 1 INT against Ohio St. He didn’t beat them. Michigan won in spite of him.

In the CFP he threw for 106 yards and 2 INTs. He isn’t very good. I’m sorry your blurb from the detroit press saying he led them to a CFP is misleading. But the stats are obvious.
He's an OK Big Ten QB but that is still light years better than Petras.

Damn, this lame offense passed enough with that QB Petras and beat our Gophers. Now they have what I’d call a pretty good upgrade and people are crowing like it’s a great thing? Until we figure out how to cover the TE I fear we will keep being Iowa’s B!

I have doubts, though, that he'll be able to single-handedly turn Ferentz's moribund offense around.

Ferentz's moribund offense has been good enough to beat us for 8 straight years. It seems that obvious fact should be far more relevant to our situation than Iowa's overall offensive productivity over that period.

Damn, this lame offense passed enough with that QB Petras and beat our Gophers. Now they have what I’d call a pretty good upgrade and people are crowing like it’s a great thing? Until we figure out how to cover the TE I fear we will keep being Iowa’s B!

Yeah, I don't get how people can dismissively chuckle about a team that's defeated them for 8 straight years either. I think it shows the value of popular groupthink over uncomfortable reality.

He might not have anyone to throw to. We'll see what he attracts in the portal for WR's. If LaPorta goes pro, he's out his top 3 receivers with Johnson and Bruce in the portal.

He might not have anyone to throw to. We'll see what he attracts in the portal for WR's. If LaPorta goes pro, he's out his top 3 receivers with Johnson and Bruce in the portal.
Wow didn’t realize Bruce left. I’d take a look at him if I was Fleck.

OK. To cap off this thread, McNamara is a so-so QB and will most likely flounder rather than prosper in Iowa's receiver-poor offense. He won't make Iowa any harder to beat. But, even though mediocre, he might not make Iowa any easier to beat, either--which isn't great news for the one team in the B1G that simply can't beat Iowa. So, we can end this thread unless people want to keep flogging it.

I'm turning my worry to the weird, it-couldn't-possibly-happen-could-it? thought (suggested by one football site) that Texas QB transfer Hudson Card might find a receptive home and good opportunity at Illinois with Bert! Now that to me has a probability equal to that of the sun rising in the west, but ... Hudson Card > Cade McNamara > Spenser Petras.

McNamara was first string for a while, including much of last year, when Michigan went to the playoffs. Doesn't make him great, but he's certainly a cut above chopped liver.
When your safety bites hard on a weak play-action and leaves the TE completely uncovered down the seam ... it doesn't take much above chopped liver to hit an easy big pass.

When your safety bites hard on a weak play-action and leaves the TE completely uncovered down the seam ... it doesn't take much above chopped liver to hit an easy big pass.
I agree. Often had me wondering: with the best RB in the B1G (Mo) running play after play, weren't opposing safeties coming up to run stop? They were in Illinois game, I think. Can't remember vs Iowa, but have to suspect that on Mo's 14-carry drive, the safeties had to start cheating up. Yet we didn't use the same play that (TE, middle seam) that butchered us in the same situation? There are a lot of mysteries in this universe ...

Last edited:

He reminds me of Mertz. Turned it over versus better defenses. Nice arm. He’ll have a worse supporting cast at Iowa which will probably make him look less good.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't go pro. He's rated pretty well as an NFL draft choice (no doubt helped by Iowa's impressive record of producing NFL tight ends). He's already played four years.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't go pro. He's rated pretty well as an NFL draft choice (no doubt helped by Iowa's impressive record of producing NFL tight ends). He's already played four years.

I would be surprised if he didn't turn pro either. The one knock on him is that he's not a very good blocker.

Yeah, I don't get how people can dismissively chuckle about a team that's defeated them for 8 straight years either. I think it shows the value of popular groupthink over uncomfortable reality.
You know it's possible to think both:

1) McNamara is not very good and won't help much

and

2) Iowa always finds ways to beat us despite their qb

It's the same conversations we all used to have about Sconnie. Our problems with Iowa are not their QB. Cade struggled with passing with top end Michigan talent...what will he do with whatever is left at Iowa? That doesn't mean we will beat them though...

Jeez... if Minnesota beats Iowa next season, there are some posters here who will have to find another dead horse to flog.

Folks, Iowa has a win streak over the Gophers. We are all aware of it.

That streak, eventually, will come to an end, just as all streaks do.

I hope you're not offended that people on a Minnesota fan site would dare say something dismissive about Iowa.

As far as your last sentence is concerned, I'm quite comfortable with the reality that the Gophers will beat Iowa, sooner rather than later. All streaks eventually end. There's nothing magical about this one.

Iowa will have McNamara at QB when we play them next season, if McNamara's health allows.

Minnesota will have Kaliakmanis.

We'll be okay. Take a deep, cleansing breath, folks.

Ultimately for Iowa offense to improve the OL needs an overhaul. Take shots at Petras all you want but the OL was the worst I’ve seen at Iowa since KF arrived.
Iowa’s next purchase better be 1-2 transfers and securing Proctor.

Top Bottom