Bye bye Jimmy Harbaught

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
We hardly knew you. Most overpaid college football coach in history?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the expectations and how long he has been there I don't know how he survives this.

I’m wondering what coach would be a significant upgrade from Jim Harbaugh. Would they be interested in taking Les Miles from Kansas?

I don't understand it. Successful at USD, Stanford, and SF to completely mediocre at Michigan. His turnaround at Stanford was historic, I really don't know where Michigan goes from here.

And they had a bye week to prepare. Pretty close to inexcusable? Has to beat Ohio State at minimum to keep the wolves at bay?

His record at Michigan is 40–14 overall and 26–9 in B1G. More wins than the last two HC combined. Three of four years ranked inside top 15.

Right. And one bad game, especially early in the year, is not going to get him fired.

And there's still time in this game yet, anyway. Could end up 24-35 or something like that. Looks much less worse.

His record at Michigan is 40–14 overall and 26–9 in B1G. More wins than the last two HC combined. Three of four years ranked inside top 15.

tenor.gif

They expect more than that in Ann Arbor.

Right but it's Michigan. However realistic they are paying for 50 and 4 with losses to Alabama...not getting embarrassed by Wisconsin with two weeks to prepare. Hasn't beaten Ohio State to win THE game of the year. Do they also get beat in bowl games? Just not the vibe they expected for the money.
Also, will be 0 and 7 as an underdog after today. That is not good coaching.

Last edited:

Really dislike khaki pants but hard to be happy about the drunk skunks killing them. Lose/ lose.

Goofy McKhakipant's tenure at Michigan is going how I expected it. Personally, I think he's more suited at a program with lesser expectations and less pressure.

Have a very good friend whose family are major Michigan boosters, and he says Harbaugh is already on thin ice. If he doesn’t beat OSU this year (a tall ask at this point), he’s absolutely gone.

I actually predicted JH would fail (on here). Not because he wasn’t a great coach prior but because it looked to me like he started thinking he was God. I equated it to Jimmy Johnson when he went to the Dolphins. Some elite coaches can keep the drive that made them elite - some lose their edge. It is a fine line.

There's no way Harbaugh gets fired over this one game. There's still 9 (or more) games remaining in their season. Perhaps they win them all. If they aren't in a good place at the end of all that then yeah, I could see him getting sacked.

This is not enough to get him fired, but it's a step closer in that direction.

Those Michigan fans act like Nebraskans sometimes.

I don't understand it. Successful at USD, Stanford, and SF to completely mediocre at Michigan. His turnaround at Stanford was historic, I really don't know where Michigan goes from here.

His record at Michigan has been notably better than it was at Stanford. He also had Andrew Luck at Stanford, who fell in his lap because Luck's a smart geek who really wanted to go to Stanford. I would too.

He just came into a situation at Michigan where the local talent pool is good, but not great (and split with a strong MSU) and yet they expect to be the absolute best every single season. They won 10 damn games 3 of the 4 years he's been there. That's really good. There's only room for so many teams to go 13-0 every year.

Right but it's Michigan. However realistic they are paying for 50 and 4 with losses to Alabama...not getting embarrassed by Wisconsin with two weeks to prepare. Hasn't beaten Ohio State to win THE game of the year. Do they also get beat in bowl games? Just not the vibe they expected for the money.
Also, will be 0 and 7 as an underdog after today. That is not good coaching.

He has Lloyd Carr type numbers.

For certain programs, being very good isn't good enough. I'm old enough to remember Earle Bruce and John Cooper getting bounced at tOSU and, more recently, Bo Pelini get shown the door at Nebraska. I get there were gripes about Pelini's behavior that helped lead to his dismissal, but all three of these guys had winning percentages above 70% (close to 80% for Bruce and Cooper), so the margin for error at programs like these (and Michigan's with Lloyd Carr as the obvious example) is much smaller than at other programs.

If JH gets fired, Purdue will have to open their pocket book again to keep Brohm.

Urban is a lock for USC in 2020.

I'm a couple thousand miles away with no sources but, the AD quit unexpectedly, and now the USC Prez comes out and says he does not want Urban Meyer at his school....not squeaky clean in his eyes. (Are the two actions related?) So, the perfect spot for Urban is UCLA.

Also, in response to some of you....I don't think anybody including the thread maker is saying Harbaugh gets fired today or anytime during the season. Like I said, just beating THE Ohio State would calm down a lot of things but he's gotta win some he isn't supposed to and if you are Michigan....how many of those should there really be? Certainly today should not have qualified...I realize it did but again part of the problem...it is Michigan!

And I'm not sure history is relevant in sports today regarding coaches...in the 2019 twitter world... patience is completely different. Social media noise can become deafening in a hurry!

Last edited:

That game was a complete beatdown. Wisconsin had there way with Michigan and were way more physical. Taylor is going pro after this season I would think. To much money on table not too.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

That game was a complete beatdown. Wisconsin had there way with Michigan and were way more physical. Taylor is going pro after this season I would think. To much money on table not too.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Michigan's offense is a complete mess. Wisconsin looks good, but I don't think they're unbeatable.

Michigan's offense is a complete mess. Wisconsin looks good, but I don't think they're unbeatable.

Wisconsin passes to their backs across the line of scrimmage or on the sideline where they need to beat one guy for 10 yards or a TD. They do this to set up their running game. One very big difference in the two offenses....Gophers/Wisconsin.

I'm pretty sure Dockers makes a pair of slacks in Blue, if I'm Harbaugh I make the switch. LOL

Michigan doesnt have the athletes, the scheme or the "it" factor to get to the next level. This being said, I wish Minnesota had Michigan's problems.

Top Bottom