By all means....

CP Gopher

Reaction score
Let's go to an NFL-copycat playoff and eliminate all these bowl games. I get soooo bored watching games like Idaho/Bowling Green and Auburn/Northwestern.

I think the general consensus is that you get rid of the BCS only and make a playoff for the top teams. From what I've read, it seems that people would agree with keeping the bowls for teams that aren't the top teams come season's end. That really is the only way it would work out, anyways. There is no way that the NCAA or universities would give up on the ridiculous amounts of money they make for going to bowl games in early December with a 6-6 record.

Let's go to an NFL-copycat playoff and eliminate all these bowl games. I get soooo bored watching games like Idaho/Bowling Green and Auburn/Northwestern.

CP, may I interject here? IMO if you were bored watching the Auburn/Northwestern game, my friend, then you are dead from the a$$ both ways. That was a fun, exciting game.

I am truly hoping that you were being sarcastic. :)

Well, neither Auburn or NW would be in a playoff system, so what if New Year's Day looked something like this:

9 am: Minn and Northern Illinois in Detroit
10 am: Idaho BG
11 am: NW Auburn
12 pm: BCS quarterfinal 1 (Boise St Cinci)
3 pm: BCS quarterfinal 2 (Ohio St Alabama)
6 pm: BCS quarterfinal 3 (Florida TCU)
9:00 pm: BCS quarterfinal 4 (Texas Oregon)

Followed by 2 great semis and a final game in two weeks.

A BCS playoff is a sports fans dream.

Well, neither Auburn or NW would be in a playoff system, so what if New Year's Day looked something like this:

9 am: Minn and Northern Illinois in Detroit
10 am: Idaho BG
11 am: NW Auburn
12 pm: BCS quarterfinal 1 (Boise St Cinci)
3 pm: BCS quarterfinal 2 (Ohio St Alabama)
6 pm: BCS quarterfinal 3 (Florida TCU)
9:00 pm: BCS quarterfinal 4 (Texas Oregon)

Followed by 2 great semis and a final game in two weeks.

A BCS playoff is a sports fans dream.

Not sure all those games have to be on the same day but that's the right idea.

Eight team playoff:
6 BCS conference champions
2 At large teams-one must be a non-BCS team

A better case would be if there were 5 BCS conferences
5 BCS conference champions
3 At large teams--One must come from non-BCS
One must come from BCS
Third could be either

I'm sure there would be complaining from some teams that didn't make the cut but you get that from BB on not making the top 65.

There are many ways to do a playoff. As stated the top teams and then other bowls, footballs version of basketballs NIT. Personally, using play-in games allows for quite a few teams to be included without adding too many games to the likely champion. A playoff game would carry all the drama of the current games with the additional drama and excitment of a tomorrow to look forward to.

My orginal post was, of course, sarcastic.
The only playoff I want to see: Two semifinals played at neutral sites on the second Saturday in December. A title game played as it is now, sometime after Jan. 1.
To pick the four teams? How about an anonymous panel of 25 college football experts. Have them meet (teleconference or whatever) on the first Sunday in December. Have each give a five minute speech on their choices. Then they all vote.
I just think that whether you go to a 4, 8 or 16 team playoff, you're going to have a least a half dozen teams screaming bloody murder when they're not chosen. Kind of like the way it is now.

If your system allows access for every conference nobody can complain as they all had their chance. They can be dissapointed, but they can never feel locked out like they do now.

Top Bottom