Buccaneers franchise tag Antoine Winfield Jr.

Minnesota values + hard work = success. Who can not be a fan & be happy for him.

Sounds like they want to work out a long term deal still as well to keep him in Tampa. Much as I would love to see him in Purple, he has had a really nice run in Tampa and is having a great pro career.
For some reason my admittedly limited perception of the franchise tag was that you use it ... when you can't work out the deal you want to but want to keep the guy anyway and are happy to pay the cost of the tag.

For some reason my admittedly limited perception of the franchise tag was that you use it ... when you can't work out the deal you want to but want to keep the guy anyway and are happy to pay the cost of the tag.
You are not wrong but what I saw was a comment to the effect that both sides are still working on a long term deal to keep him in Tampa. Guys get tagged and then end up signing long term contracts all the time. Comes down to the player and their relationship with the team. Some will be upset about getting the franchise tag put on them but in this case I don't think that is what is going on.

He was the team's best player in 2023, a first-team All Pro, and their Man of the Year nominee.

It seems sensible that he would also be their Franchise Player. Now pay that man his money.

Baker Mayfield next Vikings QB??? Bridge QB for the one that we draft?

Winfield has had a decent pro career but he's no Jeff Gladney
Rick Spielman passed on AWJr. when he was right in his backyard. IIRC, the Vikings traded with the 49ers to get Jeff Gladney.

They fired Spielman and Zimmer one season too late.

So many mocks I did where we took Winfield. If I was gm Winfield surely would have been a Viking

Rick Spielman passed on AWJr. when he was right in his backyard. IIRC, the Vikings traded with the 49ers to get Jeff Gladney.

They fired Spielman and Zimmer one season too late.
1709997683525.png

Top Bottom