Bubble Watch (March 1)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
No bubble games today, but here are this week's bubble teams with my current bracket status. Conference tournaments begin this week when the Big South, Horizon and Ohio Valley get underway Tuesday. For more reasons than one, become a Butler Bulldog fan for the Horizon League tourney.

Beat Michigan. All this (Gophers' chances for an at-large) is moot if we don't beat Michigan (and Iowa).

In my latest projection I had 18 teams battling for 6 available at-large bids. The 6 that made the cut were UAB, Dayton, UConn, St. Mary's, Mississippi State & Notre Dame.

Week of March 1 Bubblers
UAB (35) -- In
Rhode Island (37) -- First 4 Out
San Diego State (39) -- First 4 Out
Dayton (41) -- Last 4 In
UConn (44) -- Last 4 In
St. Mary's (45) -- In
Virginia Tech (52) -- First 4 Out
Washington (53) -- Out
Arizona State (54) -- Out
Ole Miss (55) -- Out
Mississippi State (56) -- Last 4 In
Cincinnati (58) -- Out
Charlotte (62) -- Out
Seton Hall (63) -- Out
South Florida (67) -- Out
Notre Dame (68) -- Last 4 In
GOPHERS (70) -- First 4 Out
Saint Louis (87) -- Out

Isn't Illinois on the bubble? They could lose their last two games as well.

Edit: Sorry, saw the answer in other threads.

Illinois

Illinois will be on my bubble next week if they lose to both Ohio State and to your Badgers. Win 1 this week, no easy chore, and they'll be in.

Illinois will be on my bubble next week if they lose to both Ohio State and to your Badgers. Win 1 this week, no easy chore, and they'll be in.

I have to think Florida is in the same boat? Vandy and @ Kentucky this week. Lose both and they are no lock.

Florida, MSU

Agree about Florida. That's a good comparison with Illinois. Like the Illini, the Gators also have two very solid nonconference wins. ... Florida State and vs. MSU (neutral court). Difficult to ignore those.

Regarding MSU, I agree this is not one of the Spartans' stronger resumes, but they're certainly deserving of a bid.

12-4 and in a virtual tie for the Big 10 lead.

9-5 road/neutral record.

3-5 vs. top 50 -- @ Purdue (10), Wisconsin (18), Gonzaga (30).

17 of 29 games have been played vs. top-100 opponents, winning 10.

No bad losses.

I'd say Sparty is looking at a #4 seed. Unless they win the BTT, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin all should receive better NCAA Tournament seeds than Sparty

Regarding MSU, I agree this is not one of the Spartans' stronger resumes, but they're certainly deserving of a bid.

12-4 and in a virtual tie for the Big 10 lead.

9-5 road/neutral record.

3-5 vs. top 50 -- @ Purdue (10), Wisconsin (18), Gonzaga (30).

17 of 29 games have been played vs. top-100 opponents, winning 10.

No bad losses.

I'd say Sparty is looking at a #4 seed. Unless they win the BTT, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin all should receive better NCAA Tournament seeds than Sparty

I'm guessing he meant Mississippi State, not the Spartans, though I could be wrong.

My bad.

Mississippi State definitely is one of my weakest selections this week. I certainly would understand any criticism for having the Bulldogs in the field. There's more than a strong argument that the Gophers (for one) would be a better selection. But sometimes you have to go with your gut. At this point Mississippi State is one of those cases.

A lot of factors this week and in conference tourney week. I think our best case is if we win the next two and Ill. loses the next two.

You have to take somebody!

Miss. State Bulldogs right now seem as good as any.

Just a great, great week for the Gophers to win on road at AA, KILL Iowa on Senior Day, and do some things to make the Selection Committee like them. Sure seems like a lot of bubble teams are stinking up the joint this year. Great opportunity for our guys......

I said before the Indiana game that we needed to go 4-1 in the final five, and beat one of Purdue or @ Illinois to be in. So far, so good. Win at Michigan, win against Iowa, and we're looking pretty good come selection Sunday. Best win one in the tournament to be safe. 20-12 (10-8) would be tournament-worthy, especially since OSU is creeping toward top-5 territory and Butler is a top-10 team.

Top Bottom