BTN: A Gophers win and Michigan loss may get Minnesota to Gator Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

MINNESOTA (8-3, 4-3) AT MICHIGAN STATE (10-1, 7-0) – NOON ET, BTN/BTN2GO

Why you should watch: The Spartans already have wrapped up the Legends Division, so there isn’t anything on the line but a loss could hurt their bowl pecking order slot. And Michigan State would like to enter the Big Ten championship game on Dec. 7 with some momentum. Minnesota? It’s playing for bowl positioning. A win coupled with a loss by Michigan to Ohio State may get the Gophers to the Gator Bowl. Michigan State has won three in a row vs. Minnesota. Before that, the Golden Gophers won three in succession vs. the Spartans.

http://btn.com/2013/11/26/week-14-previews-welcome-to-rivalry-week/

Go Gophers!!

I think if we give MSU all they can handle we still make the Gator Bowl. Michigan does not travel well to lesser bowl games.

There is no chance in he!! that the Wolverines beat tOSU. Unless BOTH Braxton Miller & Kenny Guiton (sp?) suffer significant injuries...tOSU will win pretty handily.

I would sure as hell hope it would...

LOL, no doubt. As others have pointed out, there's probably a 50/50 chance the Gophers get the Gator bowl WITHOUT beating MSU. Jeez, it really speaks to the corrupt nature of the current bowl selection process when you've got national commentators noting that a 9-3 Gophers team MIGHT get selected over a 7-5 Michigan team. Might.

Man, I was kind of hoping that a Gophers win (9-3, 5-3) might have them in the mix with Iowa (guessing they lose, so 8-4, 4-4) and Neb (9-3, 6-2) for the Outback.

Since it is very possible (likely, in fact) both Michigan and Minnesota lose their games on Saturday, can we assume the Gophers get the gator bowl nod in that situation?

If the Gophers lose to MSU and end-up down the Bowl Game food chain they'll be nothing unfair about it.

Beat MSU and they're in the Gator Bowl and still have an outside shot at the Outback. Lose to MSU and they've still got a shot at the Gator Bowl. If it's about who travels better Michigan after getting beat by tOSU won't be in the conversation. They'll have lost 4 of their last 5 and many of the "faithful" want Hoke gone. That doesn't lead to thousands of them heading to Jacksonville.

If Nebraska beats Iowa that means they'll be 9-3. They'll have won 4 of their last 5, including wins at Penn State and Michigan. They will be 6-2 in Big ten play.No matter how many Husker fans want Pellini gone they'll travel to see Big Red play. Couldn't fault a Bowl taking them over the Gophs.

If the bloody Hawkeyes win they'll be 8-4. They too will have won 4 out of 5 and their last 3 in a row to boot. They will have either tied us or ended-up ahead of the Gophers in the Big Ten Standings. They'll also have beaten the Gophers at TCF.

So if the Gophers do lose to MSU it won't just be the fact that their past travel history to LOUSY Bowl destinations that will hurt their chances. They'll have lost the 3 Trophy Games that matter. They'll have lost to both Iowa and Michigan. Finally, when they had a chance to make that big leap against the Sconies and Spartans they lost both of those games.

Nothing to whine about in that scenario either.

Now they just need to go out and beat Sparty and we'll all head to Florida.

I just pray wherever we go I pray Beth Mowins and Joey Galloway are not on the call.

I just pray wherever we go I pray Beth Mowins and Joey Galloway are not on the call.

As much as I despise these two I'm pretty sure we are undefeated when they call our games. So I'll bite the bullet and watch this s*** on mute if it means beating Sparty.

A win vs. MSU will guarantee the Gophs a non-Texas bowl. A 7-5 Michigan cannot go ahead of any 9-3 B1G team.

If we lose, my only hope is that Delaney twists some arms to reward the Gophs. Next year, bowl selection is supposed to be based more on accomplishments on the field than off the field, at his urging.

I don't understand traveling well. They have never traveled to a place I would want to go to.

This is what will happen.
Rose OSU
Orange Wisco
Capital one Sparty
Outback Nebraska
B-dubs bowl even at 7-5 Iowa leap frogs us
We're going to the Gator bowl at 8-4, I would decline a invite to the Texas bowl (I know that won't happen)
Also all this talk should embarrass the bowl system's corruption

Dont't have to worry about that, they not calling our game, since we are on the BTN.
Kevin Kugler, Glen Mason, J Leman will be calling our game.

This is what will happen.
Rose OSU
Orange Wisco
Capital one Sparty
Outback Nebraska
B-dubs bowl even at 7-5 Iowa leap frogs us
We're going to the Gator bowl at 8-4, I would decline a invite to the Texas bowl (I know that won't happen)
Also all this talk should embarrass the bowl system's corruption

This. The BWW bowl is considered "better" than the Gator bowl, even though it's not played on New Year's Day. I would happily have Iowa jump us for that bowl and we get the Gator Bowl over Michigan due to their disappointing season and our great storyline.

This. The BWW bowl is considered "better" than the Gator bowl, even though it's not played on New Year's Day. I would happily have Iowa jump us for that bowl and we get the Gator Bowl over Michigan due to their disappointing season and our great storyline.

I would definitely have no complaints about going to the Gator Bowl, but if the BWW Bowl takes us, it could match us up with Oklahoma or Texas, which would be cool to see.

I believe that alternates yearly, correct?

How does the Nebraska/iowa game results impact us?? (Iowa up by 14 right now....)

I believe that alternates yearly, correct?

How does the Nebraska/iowa game results impact us?? (Iowa up by 14 right now....)

If Iowa hold-on they will be 8-4 overall and 5-3 in the Big Ten. They will have won their last three and 4 out of 5. Add in their reputation for traveling and they'd be a very attractive team to the Bowls. If we'd lose to MSU they'd have the same record overall and would have beaten us in the Big Ten and head to head. Even if we win, we'd be 9-3 and tied with them in the Big Ten. If they get a better Bowl they earned it.

If Nebraska comes back to win they will be 9-3, 6-2 in the Big Ten and they would have won 4 of their last 5. They would also have earned a better bowl.

If Iowa hold-on they will be 8-4 overall and 5-3 in the Big Ten. They will have won their last three and 4 out of 5. Add in their reputation for traveling and they'd be a very attractive team to the Bowls. If we'd lose to MSU they'd have the same record overall and would have beaten us in the Big Ten and head to head. Even if we win, we'd be 9-3 and tied with them in the Big Ten. If they get a better Bowl they earned it.

If Nebraska comes back to win they will be 9-3, 6-2 in the Big Ten and they would have won 4 of their last 5. They would also have earned a better bowl.

So no real impact on us? Both will probably go to better bowls? Outback/BWW??

So no real impact on us? Both will probably go to better bowls? Outback/BWW??

Not necessarily. If the Gophers win tomorrow they'll be 9-3 and 5-3 in conference. They'll have won 4 out of their last five. They'll have a great nationally know story with Kill's health troubles and the way Claeys and Company have more than "held the fort" through some very trying times.

If they do win and score some points doing it, it would be hard for the Gator Bowl to ignore all of those things. There's also an outside chance that the Outback Bowl could take the chance too. If the Huskers lose, the unpopularity of Pellini among Nebraska fans would work in the Gophers favor.

It's just that we shouldn't act as if getting beaten out of a Bowl Game by one of these two squads would be a major screw-job. It won't be. If they lose to MSU it won't even be much of a surprise.

Let's beat MSU and watch and see what falls into place. A trip to somewhere in Florida would be a nice reward wouldn't it?

Top Bottom