Bryant Allen - What happened?

Formo

Sections 109 and 114
Reaction score
Ok, so I vaguely remember something about Allen last year. What spurred this on is I was updating the Gophers roster in NCAA '12 when I came across WR#81. Hit up google and GopherHole wondering what happened again and all I got was something about him leaving the team in Tubby's Barn forums and a Illinois State bio (which didn't have a thing for info). I'm surprised I didn't get anything else here on GH.com.

Soooo.. What happened again?

As far as I know, nothing really "happened". Dude just decided to transfer to another school I guess.

Pretty sure there was a kid...

Losing Bryant Allen really hurt, IMO.

He was a talented kid and he would be our #2 WR right now. He always seemed like a good kid whenever I saw him at practices and soome poster had a really nice story about Bryant as well. There were rumors that a kid was involved, and I have no idea. He transferred to Illinois St which isn't super close to his hometown either (Maplewood, MO is still almost 4 hours away)....so I don't know.

That was another rumor but that doesn't look like the case.

He is playing football at Illinois St., which means his basketball (if he is playing there) would be the same situation at Illinois St as it was here. He would be a walk on.

My understanding is Tubby told him no basketball after all the late signees (Mav etc.) gave him a big roster. Allen left soon after that. Mistake on Tubby's part (if true) as Allen would have been in the rotation once Al got hurt.

That was another rumor but that doesn't look like the case.

He is playing football at Illinois St., which means his basketball (if he is playing there) would be the same situation at Illinois St as it was here. He would be a walk on.

I'm not sure if that is true for a team that is DI-AA for football and DI for basketball.

In any case, it doesn't really matter. He transferred because he wanted the chance to actually play basketball instead of sitting on the bench like he likely would have done here.

He transferred to Illinois St which isn't super close to his hometown either (Maplewood, MO is still almost 4 hours away)....so I don't know.

Not to nitpick, but Illinois State is less than 3 hours from St. Louis. You can make that drive in 2:45.

Ok, thanks. I knew he was in both programs.. just didn't know he leaned more towards basketball than football.

Too bad it had to be that way.. because he could have been pretty successful I think here at two higher profile programs.

Allen was supposed to be small and quick, he was small but his quickness was really over rated. He was one of the guys who looked like he was in danger out there. He was not going to be a star in football, was getting hurt playing BigTen football and was not allowed to play bball. He thought he might have a better shot elsewhere, and he was probably right.

Well whatever actually happened, I wish him well. He seemed like a good kid.

Allen was very quick and fast WR and Punt Returner. Some folks apparently got the impression that he was not fast after his broken ankle in Spring '10, but they are were very wrong. The ankle was not 100% last fall which effected his top end speed. He was still effective because of his talent level at the outset. He definitely was a tough loss. Fantastic young man that would have excelled! He likely will STAR at Illinois State in both sports.

Allen was very quick and fast WR and Punt Returner. Some folks apparently got the impression that he was not fast after his broken ankle in Spring '10, but they are were very wrong. The ankle was not 100% last fall which effected his top end speed. He was still effective because of his talent level at the outset. He definitely was a tough loss. Fantastic young man that would have excelled! He likely will STAR at Illinois State in both sports.

He may be a great kid, but he did not have enough burst to avoid getting clobbered over the middle even when he had time after a reception. I was happy for him when he transferred because I really do think he would have continued to get clobbered here.

Allen was supposed to be small and quick, he was small but his quickness was really over rated. He was one of the guys who looked like he was in danger out there. He was not going to be a star in football, was getting hurt playing BigTen football and was not allowed to play bball. He thought he might have a better shot elsewhere, and he was probably right.

i remember a game last year in which allen caught a pass ten yards in front of the DB and he got run down from behind. i shudder to think that kill might not be putting on his coy face when he talks about this team lacking speed.

EDIT: according to scout he ran a 4.3 *ROFL emoticon*

Allen was not fast and had very average quickness to go with being small.He was a great high school player.Who's skills didn't translate to big time college sports.Scout must not of ever watched the kid.His lack of speed and quick burst was easy to see on punt returns.At best you were looking at a small,surehanded receiver who had no seperation.His stats show he really never was very effective for the Gophers.He did a good job fair catching then ball.And seemed to be a good team mate and kid.

A tad above Harold Howell. The last kid I remember that was small in stature,quick, and had great speed was Tutu Atwell.

Don't forget Tony Henderson, who was also small but one of the fastest guys on the team.

Top Bottom