Bruininks talks Brewster

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Do you think Gophers football coach Tim Brewster deserved a contract extension?

I believe he does deserve a contract extension. We obviously had a difficult first year, but most successful coaches in college football encounter difficult first years. It’s difficult with the transition. He has had a record that certainly was consistent with previous records at the University. I believe Coach Brewster, Athletics Director Joel Maturi, myself and others believe we need to do better. But we believed it was the right thing to do. He’s done a good job recruiting good student-athletes, making sure they stay eligible and graduate on a more timely basis. I think he has played a much more competitive schedule than we’ve had in previous years. So when you factor in the recruiting success, the difficulty of the schedule and the kind of progress I think we’re making, we felt it was appropriate to extend his contract.

Rankings show the University’s recruiting class has lowered since his first season.

It’s a little lower by these ranking services, but those ranking services are not particularly reliable as far as the long-term productivity of college recruits. I would say the overall ranking of all the classes he’s brought to the University are several notches better than we had in the previous tenure period.

How many games would he have to win next year for you to be convinced that the program’s making progress?

It’s too early to say. In some ways, we face a more difficult and challenging schedule than we saw this year. But I certainly would like to do better than we did this year. I think everyone in the program … holds very, very high aspirations for our football program. I don’t want to be average, and I don’t think Coach Brewster wants us to be average.

http://www.mndaily.com/2010/02/25/bruininks-talks-budget-cuts-brewster-txt-u

Go Gophers!!

He's right. We can disagree about all sorts of things regarding method, but one thing seems pretty certain: No one on this planet wants the Gopher FB team to win more than Coach Brewster. Sometimes to hear people whine and complain on this board you would think the man deliberately rejects sound strategy and planning just so we can suffer more heartache.

It’s a little lower by these ranking services, but those ranking services are not particularly reliable as far as the long-term productivity of college recruits.

It's amazing that a college president has to field and answer this question.

He's right. We can disagree about all sorts of things regarding method, but one thing seems pretty certain: No one on this planet wants the Gopher FB team to win more than Coach Brewster. Sometimes to hear people whine and complain on this board you would think the man deliberately rejects sound strategy and planning just so we can suffer more heartache.

Damn straight, Max. It eats Brew up that we have not been successful (or more successful). People whine about his ego, coaching flubs, and strategy. Brew wants to win. He will do what it takes. He has learned a lot, and this next season (and 2011) will define the rest of his coaching career.

Do people really think he would try to fail? He will play the best players at their best positions to give the team the best position to win. We all have great hopes for Gray, Maresh, and others--but the best players will start and contribute. I think Brew has a good eye for talent and now's the time to bring it together.

Time to bring the hammer...

Top Bottom