Bronny James suffers cardiac arrest, collapses on USC court: LeBron James' son now in stable condition

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Bronny James, the eldest son of Lakers superstar LeBron James, was hospitalized Monday after going into cardiac arrest and collapsing during a basketball practice, a family spokesperson said Tuesday. Bronny, 18, was placed into ICU but is now in stable condition.

"Yesterday while practicing, Bronny James suffered a cardiac arrest," the spokesperson said in a statement. "Medical staff was able to treat Bronny and take him to the hospital. He is now in stable condition and no longer in ICU. We ask for respect and privacy for the James family, and we will update media when there is more information. LeBron and Savannah wish to publicly send their deepest thanks and appreciation to the USC medical and athletic staff for their incredible work and dedication to the safety of their athletes."

James, a four-star recruit and one of the staple pieces of USC's top-five incoming recruiting class, signed with the Trojans this offseason. He is the No. 27 overall player in the Class of 2023 and the second-highest ranked signee in USC's four-person recruiting class that ranks No. 4 nationally at 247Sports.

The 6-foot-3 combo guard had a stellar high school career at Sierra Canyon and projects as a potential lottery pick in the 2024 NBA Draft.

Some underlying condition that went undiscovered? A weird anomaly (like Demar Hamlin) or something that could derail his career (like Jarvis Johnson)?

I am NOT suggesting any negligence - but my first question is this: what type of physical exam do incoming players receive at a D1 school? I would think that they go through some type of medical screening - but I have no idea how extensive it is.

If anyone knows - does the U of MN require incoming players to go through a physical exam or medical screening?

when you're talking about this happening to the son of a very wealthy person, who can afford the very best medical care, it makes you wonder about athletes from less fortunate backgrounds and what might slip through the cracks.

I am NOT suggesting any negligence - but my first question is this: what type of physical exam do incoming players receive at a D1 school? I would think that they go through some type of medical screening - but I have no idea how extensive it is.

If anyone knows - does the U of MN require incoming players to go through a physical exam or medical screening?

when you're talking about this happening to the son of a very wealthy person, who can afford the very best medical care, it makes you wonder about athletes from less fortunate backgrounds and what might slip through the cracks.
For the U, Yes they are screened. They undergo EKG and echo screening. This is variable at each institution in terms of what they do. A physical exam and history is highly unlikely to catch all of the patients with arrhythmogenic risk and is a highly debated topic in sports cardiology (ie should every athlete get advanced screening, is it just top tier athletes playing in college/where do you draw the line, is this cost effective, how do you have enough manpower to screen, who’s responsible for holding kids out, etc) that was discussed with a dedicated 2 hour portion of our meeting.

Play for Patrick is one of the organizations here in the Twin Cities trying to bridge that gap for youth, but the need is much greater if we’re advocating all kids should be screened prior to participation.

It is the second straight year the Trojans program has had a player suffer cardiac arrest.

Center Vincent Iwuchukwu, one of the top incoming freshman in college basketball last season, suffered cardiac arrest on July 1 and was hospitalized for a few days. He returned to play for USC in January, appearing in 14 games. - ESPN

The Gophers must have a pretty thorough physical to have caught Jarvis’ condition so early.
Jarvis suffered cardiac arrest in middle school and was diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, which is a thickening of the heart wall. His condition was well known before he got here.

You hope none of the Gophers suffer cardiac arrest? Are there those out there that have opposing views of this or would something like this normally go without saying?

Go Gophers!!
I think Rock's post makes more sense than you think. I appreciate Rockraven's optimistic view on this site. Much needed as we travel through the valley....and perhaps out of the valley this year!

I think Rock's post makes more sense than you think. I appreciate Rockraven's optimistic view on this site. Much needed as we travel through the valley....and perhaps out of the valley this year!
Keep your unsubstantiated conspiracy theory bs over on the hellscape board that is your ultimate legacy on this site, you depressing ghoul.

If the Gophers go through the year without a cardiac arrest, I think it's safe to say Rock's optimism cured cardiac arrests here. It makes more sense than you think.
My company cures the most vicious diseases that are dreadful in nature. I pick and choose my clients. I have no progress on an antidote from the vaccines however we kill COVID instantly and on the spot. Vaccines damage, not yet if ever for an antidote. I cured 2 cancers myself. BigPharma, BigMed, and BigInsurance are concerns.

Last edited:

For the U, Yes they are screened. They undergo EKG and echo screening. This is variable at each institution in terms of what they do. A physical exam and history is highly unlikely to catch all of the patients with arrhythmogenic risk and is a highly debated topic in sports cardiology (ie should every athlete get advanced screening, is it just top tier athletes playing in college/where do you draw the line, is this cost effective, how do you have enough manpower to screen, who’s responsible for holding kids out, etc) that was discussed with a dedicated 2 hour portion of our meeting.

Play for Patrick is one of the organizations here in the Twin Cities trying to bridge that gap for youth, but the need is much greater if we’re advocating all kids should be screened prior to participation.
Are you saying all athletes at the U receive an echocardiogram? If so, that sounds solid. Do you have any sense what percent of other B1G or major conference schools give all athletes an echo?

Are you saying all athletes at the U receive an echocardiogram? If so, that sounds solid. Do you have any sense what percent of other B1G or major conference schools give all athletes an echo?
From my understanding, yes though I can't confirm this as I don't see them all individually. They do all get a history and ECG for absolute certain. Unfortunately even echocardiogram cannot catch all things but it does make the margin for error less.

Hard to say as they typically don't publicly say this information. From what I have heard across the board they all have a history and ECG taken. The addition of the echo is more varying and some institutions are much more prone to even order MRI if there is any question of abnormality on ECG.

An unintended consequence of COVID was that screening of athletes really has gotten a boatload of extra attention (and money). Because of that, it is a hot button topic at our meetings. Even doing ECGs across the board is of question and some go the other direction and advocate for advanced imaging (MRI) for all athletes. I would anticipate a guideline statement will be coming soon. Eugene Chung was the section past chair (from Michigan) so I'd imagine he will push on the Big Ten to make a consensus statement if it doesn't come out of the national organization.

You hope none of the Gophers suffer cardiac arrest? Are there those out there that have opposing views of this or would something like this normally go without saying?

Go Gophers!!
I hope none of our players get sickle cell anemia!

Obviously hoping for the best for Bronny both in terms of basketball but more importantly his long term life.

I find it amazing that this incident happened on Monday, but the news did not break (TMZ initially per the Dan Patrick Show) for over 20 hours. Hard to fathom it was kept quiet that long in this day in age.

I'm not saying that's good, bad, or otherwise.

Jarvis suffered cardiac arrest in middle school and was diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, which is a thickening of the heart wall. His condition was well known before he got here.
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know the total story.

Top Bottom