Brohm sucks

Joe Tiller was pretty good when he had Drew Brees.

Joe Tiller was average when he did not have Drew Brees.

The PI call in 2020 was a tough one.

Yes, Tiller took over when Purdue was at rock bottom too, and the Gophers were right with them. Both teams have no defense. Glen Mason took over at Minnesota the same year as Tiller at Purdue. Both coaches did the job of getting these programs back to respectability. I'm sure Tiller's record was better than Mason's but Tiller had Drew Brees and Kyle Orton to work with.
Well he gets credit for recruiting Brees and Orton.

Brohm hasn’t found a consistent fix to the problems that Purdue has faced. Weak defense and a weak run game have hurt them. Last year they were improved on defense and had a pretty good year. They lost some of their best defensive players to graduation/nfl and the best one this year to injury. They still struggle to run the ball. I was worried Bucky Irving might transfer there, he’d be the type that I think they could use.

Well he gets credit for recruiting Brees and Orton.
Brees was a sophomore when Tiller took over, so I highly doubt Tiller recruited him. Purdue already had a high-powered offense (just like the "Air" Wacker offense.) I remember going to a Gopher/Purdue game during that period. It was a wild-scoring contest. The final score must have been something like 50-49. Anyway, Tiller did make good use of Brees by implementing the spread offense, which I believe was a new thing at the time.

Brees was a sophomore when Tiller took over, so I highly doubt Tiller recruited him. Purdue already had a high-powered offense (just like the "Air" Wacker offense.) I remember going to a Gopher/Purdue game during that period. It was a wild-scoring contest. The final score must have been something like 50-49. Anyway, Tiller did make good use of Brees by implementing the spread offense, which I believe was a new thing at the time.
Ah, I didn’t know that.

Yeah, that makes sense and that was a fun game to watch wasn't it!

Brees by the way didn't start really playing for them until '98. He threw 19 passes in '97 and 361in '98!

Had to look it up, much like all of Purdue stuff, but they didn't have much of an Offense the year before Tiller became Hard Coach.

in '96, Purdue scored 17 or less 7 times and over 24 four times. That got them 3 wins.

In '97, Tiller first season that Spread Offense had them scoring 16 or less zero times. They were held to 17 or less twice. 24 or more 7 times. That got them 9 wins.

Think it was a problem getting Offensive talent that finally did his team in.

Yeah, that makes sense and that was a fun game to watch wasn't it!

Brees by the way didn't start really playing for them until '98. He threw 19 passes in '97 and 361in '98!

Had to look it up, much like all of Purdue stuff, but they didn't have much of an Offense the year before Tiller became Hard Coach.

in '96, Purdue scored 17 or less 7 times and over 24 four times. That got them 3 wins.

In '97, Tiller first season that Spread Offense had them scoring 16 or less zero times. They were held to 17 or less twice. 24 or more 7 times. That got them 9 wins.

Think it was a problem getting Offensive talent that finally did his team in.
Yeah, those were quite the games with Purdue. "Basketball on Grass" is what they called it. I had to look it up too. The game with Purdue that I was referring to was in 1993. The Gophers won 59-56. The "Air" Wacker offense was hard to stop when it got going. The problem was the fact they had zero defense and they were generally undisciplined resulting in all kinds of ridiculous mistakes. The program has come a LONG way from that. Back then if the Gophers could get to 6-5 and get a bowl invite the season was a HUGE success.

Brohm from his presser today:

"Also, we want to learn to keep our mouth shut and just play football and play as hard as we can, play together, play as a unit, and let the pieces fall where they may."

I can't remember which game it was and who the coaches were, but our defensive coordinator had Tyrone Carter in the box all game which Purdue kept exploiting. After the game, our coach said something to the effect "I don't know why that kept happening." Meanwhile in the Purdue locker room, the coach said "I can't believe they had Carter in the box the whole game."

Yeah, those were quite the games with Purdue. "Basketball on Grass" is what they called it. I had to look it up too. The game with Purdue that I was referring to was in 1993. The Gophers won 59-56. The "Air" Wacker offense was hard to stop when it got going. The problem was the fact they had zero defense and they were generally undisciplined resulting in all kinds of ridiculous mistakes. The program has come a LONG way from that. Back then if the Gophers could get to 6-5 and get a bowl invite the season was a HUGE success.
Geezo Beezo.....
Nearly 1200yds of offense in that game
That game also turned Mike Alstott into a high draft pick. 171yds rushing and 5TDs

59-56. Was there in the student section. Alstott ran wild.

Geezo Beezo.....
Nearly 1200yds of offense in that game
That game also turned Mike Alstott into a high draft pick. 171yds rushing and 5TDs
Ha! "We're going line 'em up and air it out!" That was vintage Jim Wacker. He was entertaining to listen to. I'll give him that.

Joe Tiller was pretty good when he had Drew Brees.

Joe Tiller was average when he did not have Drew Brees.

The PI call in 2020 was a tough one.
That PI call was legit. TE pushed off on Howard. If Durham wanted to try and catch the ball in better coverage he could've, but he pushed off at it got called.

That PI call was legit. TE pushed off on Howard. If Durham wanted to try and catch the ball in better coverage he could've, but he pushed off at it got called.
That is absolutely correct and it is validated by the fact that 2 officials made the same call…

Brohm from his presser today:

"Also, we want to learn to keep our mouth shut and just play football and play as hard as we can, play together, play as a unit, and let the pieces fall where they may."
To bad for him that he didn’t think of this ‘til week 4. It cost him a win.

I was fairly nervous about Purdue entering the season and I still believe they are capable of beating anyone, particularly at home. So I am glad the Gophers catch them in Mpls this season.

But, they have problems this year and it seems these problems directly or indirectly have Brohm’s fingerprints on them.

Directly, he was a huge factor in the loss to Penn State with his head scratching clock management and refusal to run the ball to drain clock in the game’s final minutes when it appeared the game was won.

Indirectly, the lack of discipline on his team also points to him as the head coach. Purdue seemed to have their game with Syracuse won at least twice late, when unthinkable selfish undisciplined personal fouls on Boiler players allowed Syracuse back in the game, prior to eventually winning it.

Any kid can flip out and cost his team as a one-off. But it happened multiple times yesterday with the dumbest of dumb personal fouls committed at crucial times. Too many, and at the worst times to not question coaching.
Undisciplined is right.

Just the demeanor of his team as a whole this season is bothering me- the showboating, the grandstanding, the pointing and gesturing, the getting right up in the faces of their opponents as well as the officials, the semi-dirty play (under the guise of 'chippiness', I guess) and etc. It's just not a good look, in fact it makes them look mentally and emotionally weak and like a bunch of surly punks, all of which makes me wish all the further that we just knock the living shit out of them this season.

Top Bottom