Brock

GophAroundGuy

Reaction score
Would it be nice to have Mr. Brock flying around at safety again this year? Though, Roysten is solid, he's not Brock. Not as big, not as fast.

Royston is athletic but he still seems to be playing tentatively. He's going to need to be much more aggressive next week or it's going to get ugly.

I think Royston can get better but it would've been nice to have Brock out there.

Our safety play last night was an abomination! I can't believe nobody's brought this up.

They had 2-3 runs that would've gone to the house if the back was B10 caliber.

The safety has the back on the option. They effed it up all night long.

I'd go on to say, whenever they ran right, they had a chance to break it. Early in the game, they did try to run left without success and seemed to abandon that side. What was it about our defensive left side that we couldn't fix?

Royston was horrible. "Flying around" only works when you finish your flying with making a tackle. Not flying around just to end up standing "next" to the pile of defenders after tey make the tackle. Ridiculous.

Lack of speed at safety was very evident. Royston and Rallis were both a step late many times covering the pitch. Theret did a bit better. Safety play could be critcial against Cal and their burner. LB play has carried this D the first two games and we need to keep Campbell, Triplett and Lawrence healthy.

I agree

The health of our linebackers will be the key to the defenses success this year.

I think it's safe to say they miss Brock, it's too bad he screwed up on his academics. I still think Royston will be ok though, give him time.

I sat next to a guy who thought Royston was terrible all night, wasn't Cooper a safety in high school, I know he is fast enough. Why did they automatically put him at linebacker.

Ok guys, you are overly negative.

The gophers, as a team, played splendid defence all night. Against a well run, complex offence from a good conference, the Gophers gave up ONE td and 13 points in total.

Royston, Rallis and Theret may not be the answer but so far they have been successful.

No Wonder Royston Did't Play at Wisky

I sat next to a guy who thought Royston was terrible all night, wasn't Cooper a safety in high school, I know he is fast enough. Why did they automatically put him at linebacker.

Through all the smoke, Royston came back to MN because he did not get playing time at Wisconsin. There was some feeling by some on this board that Royston got screwed at Wisconsin and he home to get a fair shake. Not true. Wisky will play their best players. The truth is he is very tentative. His speed is probably good enough for safety, but he his read/react times are just simply horrible. I don't think he likes contact either. A bad combination for a safety. I agree with your friend. We must have some real depth issues at safety.

Through all the smoke, Royston came back to MN because he did not get playing time at Wisconsin. There was some feeling by some on this board that Royston got screwed at Wisconsin and he home to get a fair shake. Not true. Wisky will play their best players. The truth is he is very tentative. His speed is probably good enough for safety, but he his read/react times are just simply horrible. I don't think he likes contact either. A bad combination for a safety. I agree with your friend. We must have some real depth issues at safety.

While he does seem to be a step behind right now, I would not say he dislikes contact. He made the hardest hit of the game on an AF third down conversion. I couldn't believe the receiver held on to that.

Our safety play last night was an abomination! I can't believe nobody's brought this up.

They had 2-3 runs that would've gone to the house if the back was B10 caliber.

The safety has the back on the option. They effed it up all night long.

You're right. The safety continually bit on the QB and then when Jefferson would pitch the ball the safety would end-up chasing the RB down the field. While it drove me nuts Saturday night and when I watched the replay again yesterday, it was also irritating that the Outside Linebacker was constantly being blocked out on Theret's side.

Maybe the safteys just didn't trust the DE to tackle Jefferson and maybe they were right. I still would have liked to see them contain the RB a lot more and let the Front Seven worry about Jefferson.

Top Bottom