Brian Murphy: P.J. Fleck's tone-deafness is ear-splitting

Except the way Fleck projects himself like he is smarter than everyone else by doing things differently in his program. He should own up to the LB depth problem and.voq to fix it. He shouldn't be surprised when writers ask tough questions. He should be glad that the writers care. That didn't happen 20yrs ago.

Fleck is smarter than the writers when it comes to football. A lot smarter. Heck, Fleck has won more FBS games than most FBS coaches, so I guess he's smarter than most coaches too. The last thing he worries about is dumbass writers getting panties in a bunch.

I’ll bet if you ask them, they all probably understand that the defense isn’t good and playing that many freshmen is why. Chip has said as much. But I think what has them, and others like myself frankly, so rankled is the offense and Fleck’s ultra conservatism. The end of the first half Saturday was another example. We were 3rd and 5 on our own 45 with 1:26 to play. Fleck runs up the middle and punts. We needed 20 yards to be in field goal range and Fleck turtles. My son was home from school for break and asked me why did they do that? I said it’s all PJ. What did Wisconsin do after getting the punt? Pushed the ball down the field and tried to score, almost getting into field goal range. At least Wisconsin tried to score.

People are sick and tired of that shit. It makes them angry and makes them, and these sports writers probably, complain about EVERY aspect of the program.
Nubin wasn’t a dynamic runner and we started to pass more. Something we’re not great at. Couple that with the defense failing and it was ugly.

Fleck is smarter than the writers when it comes to football. A lot smarter. Heck, Fleck has won more FBS games than most FBS coaches, so I guess he's smarter than most coaches too. The last thing he worries about is dumbass writers getting panties in a bunch.
But his comments are directed at what the media is questioning. Find positives, support your staff and players and move on.

Media feeds on “it’s on me”. “You don’t want to know why”. “Execution.”

It’s just not a great look to get all defensive with a weak media market

Of course it matters what Fleck says.

He could have said "There's a lot of reasons for that, but I won't go into the details."

Instead he said “There’s a lot of reasons for that...And none of you really care about those reasons. So I’m not going to talk about them.” And that makes him sound like a pouting brat instead of a man.

And to be clear, I'm not calling for Fleck to be fired. I don't like him at all, but his performance at Minnesota merits our patience with a down year here or there.
Pretty funny for someone one here to criticize someone’s manhood 😂

But his comments are directed at what the media is questioning. Find positives, support your staff and players and move on.

Think there is a cumulative effect to it. Fleck is usually very good with the media but with the loses piling up you hit a point where there really isn't anything you can say as a coach and anything you do say is going to piss someone off.

The media in this market doesn't matter one iota. They are pointless and worthless when it comes to Gopher football. This media market shits all over whatever football coach dons the Maroon and Gold one way or another, so Fleck would waste his time by even attempting to address any player analysis.

Luridly overwritten, but he makes a few good points. I haven't seen tackling that sloppy in years - what's happened with Rossi? PJ is too conservative and he distrusts passing, evident even when he had another QB. On that subject, why didn't Cole, who was sharper and more confident in the Spring game, never get a real shot? The "three yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy of Woody Hayes went out the door when high school and college passers made light year improvements. Play-calling is unimaginative as many here have pointed out - no screen passes, no misdirection, even the PRO slants have disappeared. And why all the injuries - physical conditioning have something to do with it? Still, by luck mostly, the Gophers made the last place on the bowl list - they can't lose that one.

I don't know this Murphy guy. But if I was profiling him from his writing....I'd guess that he was terrible at sports.

I don't know this Murphy guy. But if I was profiling him from his writing....I'd guess that he was terrible at sports.
He’s a bitter guy who used a lot of profanity in tweets when, I believe he was cut by one of the papers. Now caught on with this bring me the news company. Loudest guy in the room type.

I’ll bet if you ask them, they all probably understand that the defense isn’t good and playing that many freshmen is why. Chip has said as much. But I think what has them, and others like myself frankly, so rankled is the offense and Fleck’s ultra conservatism. The end of the first half Saturday was another example. We were 3rd and 5 on our own 45 with 1:26 to play. Fleck runs up the middle and punts. We needed 20 yards to be in field goal range and Fleck turtles. My son was home from school for break and asked me why did they do that? I said it’s all PJ. What did Wisconsin do after getting the punt? Pushed the ball down the field and tried to score, almost getting into field goal range. At least Wisconsin tried to score.

People are sick and tired of that shit. It makes them angry and makes them, and these sports writers probably, complain about EVERY aspect of the program.
Post of the day!

I didn’t even watch the WI cause I’m “tired of that shit”.

Luridly overwritten, but he makes a few good points. I haven't seen tackling that sloppy in years - what's happened with Rossi? PJ is too conservative and he distrusts passing, evident even when he had another QB. On that subject, why didn't Cole, who was sharper and more confident in the Spring game, never get a real shot? The "three yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy of Woody Hayes went out the door when high school and college passers made light year improvements. Play-calling is unimaginative as many here have pointed out - no screen passes, no misdirection, even the PRO slants have disappeared. And why all the injuries - physical conditioning have something to do with it? Still, by luck mostly, the Gophers made the last place on the bowl list - they can't lose that one.
The nice thing is if he gives an explanation of the defense he gets criticism for making excuses

If he says it’s on me he gets criticism for saying nothing

I don't understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over the 5-6 freshman on defense comment. That's definitely an issue and is telling. Prove me wrong, but I'm guessing there's not a team with a winning BG10 record that's comprised with half freshman. Yes, the roster is the coach's responsibility and it would interesting to find out why that many freshman are playing, but faux outrage over that comment is downright stupid.

Well said

The nice thing is if he gives an explanation of the defense he gets criticism for making excuses

Yep.
It's on me
I need to coach better
I need to recruit better
I need to have our coaches better
I need hit the portal better
I need to find ways to adapt.

Say any or a few of these with some meat and he's off the hook. He just comes across as defensive.

Maybe he is going to blow it up a bit and really couldn't say that, so let's see what he does before judging.

Already has multiple transfer offers out and the TE coach left.

Yep.
It's on me
I need to coach better
I need to recruit better
I need to have our coaches better
I need hit the portal better
I need to find ways to adapt.

Say any or a few of these with some meat and he's off the hook. He just comes across as defensive.

Maybe he is going to blow it up a bit and really couldn't say that, so let's see what he does before judging.

Already has multiple transfer offers out and the TE coach left.
Disagree
There is actively threads on here complaining he has said those things

The media in this market doesn't matter one iota. They are pointless and worthless when it comes to Gopher football. This media market shits all over whatever football coach dons the Maroon and Gold one way or another, so Fleck would waste his time by even attempting to address any player analysis.
Very true and well-stated!

Yep.....those that want to hear something to rip the coach for will find a way to hear it no matter what he says or how he says it.

It is sad the extent some go to get all worked up about comments made in press conferences. There are plenty of reason why a lot of coaches can't stand doing press conferences and a big part of that is because no matter what they say someone is going to take issue with it.

Except the way Fleck projects himself like he is smarter than everyone else by doing things differently in his program. He should own up to the LB depth problem and.voq to fix it. He shouldn't be surprised when writers ask tough questions. He should be glad that the writers care. That didn't happen 20yrs ago.
I remember when he would eat difficult conversations for breakfast...

Top Bottom